A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,628
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting started, fabric on wood dresser  (Read 3686 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Collinsky
« on: January 17, 2010 03:12:50 PM »

Hi! I'm completely new to Craftser but am loving it so far!

I'm here because I have mismatched, beat-up old dressers in my bedroom. We can't afford to replace them yet and I don't want to wait until we can to have a nice looking bedroom.

I am not experienced at all working with anything like this, so any info or advice is appreciated. What I want to do is spray paint the sides and front, and then put lovely fabric on the top surface and the drawer fronts as I've seen a few do with Mod Podge. Then finish off with matching drawer pulls. I need step-by-step instructions, starting right after "empty the drawers and clear the dresser top" because I really don't even know where to go from there.

The trouble is, I need to be able to do every step in our home, while we continue to live in it - although naturally we don't have to sleep in the room where we're doing any kind of project like this. But we don't have a separate workspace, and it can't be done outside. That makes me feel discouraged... but at this point I'm willing to do it wrong just to get it done. It couldn't look worse than it does now! Any advice??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Colleen ~*~
I bet I can make that.
Sparkle Motion Dreamer
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010 07:28:08 AM »

I can't guarantee this is accurate, but from what it sounds like this should work. After you've emptied your drawers, buy Mod Podge if you haven't already. You can find a lot of the items I'll mention in a dollar store.

1. Take a wet rag and gently wipe off all the dust that's accumulated on every part of the first piece you'd like to work on. This will help the Mod Podge and paint adhere.

2. Unscrew all the handles and set them aside.

3. Sand the dresser. Make sure to wear protective facial gear, such as eye goggles and a mask, or just a scarf wrapped around your head should do. Make sure to lay out loooooots of newspaper, or invest in a drop cloth painters use (cheap and can be found in a dollar store). It will be VERY helpful when it comes time to clean! Now, just in case you didn't know, you're sanding because the paint won't stick well if there's still varnish left over. This may take some time. Sand away!

4. Once you've finished sanding, you want to take your rag and wash off all the dust and sanded bits. This will allow your primer to adhere.

5. Prime your wood (I believe there's spray primer) with spray or paint primer, following the directions on the bottle. You may want to put newspaper around the drop cloth and tape some to the walls just in case.

6. Once the primer has dried for the full amount of time (I think 24 hours before you can paint over it, but the bottle or can should say) take your rag and gently wash off the dust again.

7. Measure all the surfaces you'd like to adhere the fabric to. Cut out matching pieces, leaving extra to fold over the edges for a nice, clean look. Set aside.

8. Gather your Mod Podge and apply to your first fabric-intended space. A drawer, for example. You can take out the drawer completely or just pull it out enough that you can work with it. Apply a thick coat of Mod Podge and gently press your fabric down, smoothing it frequently to get out any air bubbles or wrinkles. You can pull it taut to help keep it from wrinkling. You want to apply some Mod Podge to the back of the drawer lip and fold over the fabric, making sure it fits and is smooth. Repeat for all drawers.

9. The top is going to be more difficult because you won't be able to hide the unfinished edges like the drawer. You can either fold the edges under and glue them down that way, or if you don't mind folding the edges under the dresser lip, you can do that.

10. Make sure to go back and Mod Podge over all the unfinished edges of the drawers and top. This will keep the edges from coming off. You have the option of using the Mod Podge all over the front of the fabric, just to stiffen it and make sure it sticks well, but that may not make it as soft or smooth as you'd like it. Keep in mind that you've smoothed it down, and by putting on a top coat you could cause wrinkles you won't be able to remove.

I believe that's it! But I'm not an expert, this just seems like the steps I would personally take if I were doing this project. You should also consult someone working in a hardware store and ask them for directions as to the whole applying fabric and new paint to wood. They'll probably say to sand it and apply an adhesive. Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010 07:29:03 AM by Sparkle Motion Dreamer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm Alyssa, 18, a film-maker in college, & a non-traditional fantasy novelist online. I bake, create, & dream, & I enjoy all things secret, surrealist & sleep-related.
My Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/jarofdreams
My Blog: http://livingcraft.blogspot.com
tomico
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010 08:53:15 PM »

I would advise against spray painting in a room you use, as the over spray can get everywhere. Use plastic drop cloths, but it is better to invest in the type that won't rip easily. Make sure to keep two pairs of shoes, one on the drop and one off so that you don't track paint around. Also remember to clean your hands before answering the door (red may scare them and any color could get onto the door). I only say this from experience. I have a purple splotch on the front door when I answered someone who wanted to shovel my snow while I was in the middle of painting a spare room. Latex or neoprine gloves are nice to have to prevent misshaps.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Gourmet Burger with Fried Fennel and Lemon Aioli Sauce
Homemade Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce Recipe
Wine And Beer Pairings For Your Summertime Grilling Fare
How to Make an Open-Faced Egg Breakfast Sandwich
How to Make the Ultimate Game-Day Dish: Buffalo Wing Hot Dogs
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...