A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,669
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ways to decorate leather - NEATLY!  (Read 972 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kettle
« on: January 17, 2010 02:07:12 PM »

I'm about to get a 2010 diary, hopefully, and want to do something with its soft (real) leather cover as I'll probably not be able to get an interestingly-coloured one.  I'm wondering about some sort of foil bonding but I'd love to know what else I could do.  It needs to be durable as this thing's going to be knocking around in my bag for twelve months.  Ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristov
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010 01:59:14 AM »

The finish used will determine what can and cannot be done. Wax based finishes won't allow much or anything to stick very well.

If it is "genuine" leather, super glue may actually work. If it is real/top grain, I would try something more along the lines of contact cement. A good strong rubber type glue (have good ventilation, and by good, I mean outside). If your not sure if it is top grain or genuine, a small amount of the rubber cement may dissolve "genuine', and thus test on a very small corner that is not noticeable.

Other than literally stitching stuff onto it through the cover, gluing would probably be your best option.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Evil triumphs, when good men do nothing.

Visit my Etsy store for quality "dark" leather goods: www.FleshCrafters.e tsy.com
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010 02:00:17 PM »

Magix leather spraypaint will stick to pretty much any leather, and you could use it to either re-colour your book cover or stencil onto it. (Or both.) Magix comes in all sorts of colours, and where I live you can buy them at most shoe repair shops. GOOD VENTILATION IS ESSENTIAL, however, and be sure to leave the freshly-painted object to dry in a well-ventilated place (like outside or in the garage) for 24 hours until the paint has completely off-gassed and cured.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set Delete Function
Canon G10: Set Auto Mode Function
Canon G10: Set Aperture Priority (Av) Function
Canon G10: Set for Sunset Scene
Canon G10: Set for Sports Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...