A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,094
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Green Fleece-y ballet flats -- with TUTORIAL! (SUPER image heavy!)  (Read 18171 times)
Tags for this thread: shoes , tutorial , reconstructed , recycled , fleece , felt , ballet_flats  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gooseeatfox

How very charming.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2010 01:11:49 PM »

I've been meaning to make myself a pair of new ballet flats, and I was inspired by papilionette's lovely tutorial (found here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=323205.0) to finally get my feet in gear!  

I thought I'd put together a tutorial, so that everybody can have a pair of warm, fleece-y shoes of their very own.  Let me know if you have any questions!  Here they are finished:

To make them, start with a pair of "real" shoes.  I'd recommend the cheap-y ones you can get at Wal-Mart.  You're basically going to use the insoles and rubber sole, so it doesn't matter what the outside looks like.  Just make sure they fit!  Here are the shoes I used, I made them in 2008, they've seen better days.

For this project, I also used 3 sheets of felt, and a quarter yard of fleece.  You can use any sturdy fabric you like, but the fleece/felt combo is soft, warm, and has a little "give" to it.

First, disassemble your shoes.  

Then fold one sheet of your felt length-wise, and trace the sole.  Leave enough for seam allowance!

And then cut them out!

Take your best upper from your pile, and trace it out to the other two sheets of felt.  Again, don't forget seam allowances.

And cut those out, too.

From the U-shaped scrap of felt from the middle, cut out two pieces for the strap.

Using the felt upper you just cut out, cut out two from your fleece.  

Again using the U-shaped middle piece scrap of fleece, cut out two straps.  Make sure to cut the fleece a little bit wider, if you don't want the lining color showing on your straps.

So finally!  Here are all the pieces you should have cut out:

Layer one felt (lining) piece on top of one fleece (outer) piece.  Sew along the INSIDE U-shape.

Make a double seam along the top.  Apparently this should make it stronger, but I've never noticed a difference.  But I do it anyway.

So this is what you should have:

Open it up...

... and line up the heel parts.  Pay attention of where your colors line up, or else it will come out a little crooked.  Sew up this hem.

Take one of the felt sole pieces, and prepare to pin it to the felt upper.  The trick to doing this, is to find the middle of the sole piece by folding it in half, and lining it up with the heel seam you just put in.

Begin pinning from the heel, toward the toe, on both sides:

Your sole and upper may not match up perfectly.  Mine never do.  But don't worry!  Just try to center it...

... and pin it down.  Sew around the edge, and trim to about 1/8" all around.

Repeat with the other shoe.  When you get to the part where you're pinning down your sole, make doubly-triply sure that you have a RIGHT shoe and a LEFT shoe!  

Okay, on to the straps... line up one edge of the fleece and felt pieces, and sew.

Then line up the other edges and sew.  Because the pieces are two different widths, it'll be a little bumpy.

Success!

Try on your shoe and pin the strap where you want it to be.

And sew it on!

When you measure where you want your strap to be, make sure the lining and the outer piece are in line:

Repeat with the other side of the strap, and with the other shoe.

Hooray!  Almost done!

Take the insole from your disassembled pair of shoes (remember those?), and glue it to the bottom of the sole.  You could alternatively glue it to inside of the shoe, but I found mine to become sticky when my feet sweat... Sad  And yes, you do need it, because just walking on the rubber sole isn't very comfortable (at least with the shoes I have).  I used good ol' super glue.  Works pretty well.

You might have a little bit of the toe part sticking out.  That's okay, just glue the insole as it lays.

Begin gluing down the outer fleece part.  Start at the heel.

It may be easier to "shape" the toe area if your foot is in the shoe.  Some of the fleece near your toes will have to be folded over... don't worry about this, it (mostly) won't show when you're done.

Then (finally!) take your rubber sole, and glue it on.  Make sure to catch all your fleece under the sole, so everything is neat.

Repeat with the other shoe.

Whew!  And then you are DONE!

Look at that toe cleavage!  Hawt!

You can put a cute little button on your straps, or something, if you want.  The straps can also be fastened with velcro or a snap.  I've found that since the fleece "gives" a little, I didn't end up using the velco/snaps anyway.

Let me know what you think!  If you make some, post them -- I want to see!  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010 01:21:54 PM by gooseeatfox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find I can spend hours looking at different fonts.

Visit my Etsy shop!
www.gooseeatfox.etsy.com
Tropic_Rose

Radical She-ite

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010 01:43:36 PM »

I want some! Thanks for the really clear instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is better to have crafted and failed then never to have crafted at all.
Yes, I am stalking the Toys and Playthings board. Thanks for noticing!
I'm cheating on Craftster with Pinterest. It's ok though. There's overlap.
Sandroo

Mine is an evil laugh!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010 01:44:28 PM »

You obviously put a lot of time and effort into this - and you did GREAT!  What a great way to save money, and make yourself something cute and personalized at the same time!  I love 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kriminie
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010 01:57:06 PM »

i agree!! they are so cute, and totally comfy looking.. id need to make them in something less .. hot.. cause my feet sweat an awful lot.. there is a great link for making shoes from scratch that i found a while ago, in case anyone doesnt have the uppers to measure from, if anyone wants it ill link it.. last time i linked my links got hijacked and went to some NSFW site. Sad so, just comment if you want the link and ill post..

ps.. LOVE your blue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I know what I want to smell like when the giant alien bunnies come calling

MY ETSY - currently under construction - exhale
MY BLOG - ummm.. under construction?? - kriminie
chanticocat
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010 02:29:36 PM »

Wow! The work you put into the project and  the tutorial..Amazing!
I'm way too lazy to attempt this, but am in complete awe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
papilionette
Chaotic Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010 06:11:17 PM »

Those look awesome and so super comfy! Your tutorial is awesome! And so nice of you to mention my tut! Cool. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mocka_moo
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010 12:19:00 AM »

I love this tutorial and I think I will be working on something soon base on this pattern.... Thank you so much for your knowledge & info!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wowzers...
My Wists: http://www.wists.com/Mocka
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Scrapbook for Vacation Photos
How to Make Play Dough for Kids
How to Make a Beach Sand Photo Mat
How to Create a Pig Puppet
How to Create Your Own Dragon Puppet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...