A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Convertible Hood Hat IMG HEAVY  (Read 1172 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spazkitty

Evil is relative.

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2010 11:42:24 PM »

Okay then, this design was actually a mistake. I was trying to make the North Country Cap featured in Crochet Magazine, but discovered this little gem because I decided not to follow the instructions. Basically once I had finished what I thought would be a comparable match to the North Country Cap, it turned out to be too small because I messed up the stitch count on purpose. Go me. So, I said screw it, I'll just stitch it up part way and it'll be an ear-flappy hooded thing! Well, it did turn out better than planned because the hat was a gift for my step father who wanted an earflap hat anyway! I added stings to the front to give it some earthy bohemian flair and discovered that these strings could actually be utilized! If you fold the brim up, you can tie it together at the back of the head and it becomes a beanie! Two for one! Since then, I've lengthened the brim in later versions to give it even more of a cowl look...but I think I want to make it longer still...

Side view hood:

Front view hood:

Side view beanie:

Back view beanie, ties:

flat:

I think if I'm going to make it for men, I need to make it much much longer...Here's my hubby modeling another one rather unhappily (the brim is REALLY wide...but that hat is pretty big on me so it sits forward more on me):

It's a really simple pattern, too! All single crochet! Here's a link to the original pattern I intended to use.
http://www.crochetmagazine.com/newsletters-proofing.php?mode=article&article_id=467
I changed it up because I wanted to use a larger hook...and I needed to because a size J is just not big enough for the Lion Homespun yarn.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010 11:54:50 PM by spazkitty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steampunk Clock Hand Accessories Starting at $5, ntohing over $20: http://www.antickquities.etsy.com
IdlersDesign
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010 12:07:45 AM »

I like yours much, much better than the pattern!! The wide brim makes it a good shape and the colours you used are beautiful  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
RuneAriala
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010 07:02:12 AM »

I like yours a little better.  The wide brim makes it look a little like a man!bonnet.  Really awesome, though.  They look really unique.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010 09:17:48 AM »

oh this is ingenius Smiley i think it solves the problem of the cap brim not stretching enough to cover your whole head - and also the problem of it being too loose. great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wavy Half Up Hair Tutorial
Best Exfoliators For Smoother Skin
Fall’s 4 Hottest Colors and Makeup Trends
Side French Braids Are A Versatile Hair Trend
5 Beauty Trends For Fall
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...