A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hello Carpincho! (A Soft Brooch of Capybara Goodness)  (Read 4405 times)
Tags for this thread: brooch , carpincho , capybara , embroidery , ink_jet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 16, 2010 05:10:54 PM »

When I went to Argentina in Feb/March of 2009 I fell in love with carpinchos which is the Spanish word for capybaras and what I prefer to call them.  I've a clip art book of thousands of images of thousands of animals and scanned it to make this image which is printed on the same fabric for ink-jet printers that I use to make my Varmint Voodoo dolls.  I had some extra space on a sheet of that fabric when making a special order and decided to fill it with carpinchos instead of waste it. They then sat in my craft room waiting to be made into something for months ... this is the first carpincho project from those print outs.

Hello Carpincho Brooch, front:

The Guarani (indigenous people of the region) word for these animals means "master of grasses" so that's why there is some grass embroidered on the bottom.  Their Latin name means "water pig" which doesn't reflect their majestic nature nearly as well as "master of grasses."  Also, even though the look quite a bit like a pig crossed with a beaver, they are actually the world's largest rodent.

Hello Carpincho Brooch, back:

Hello Carpincho Brooch. action shot on my purse strap.

This is my first attempt at a soft/plush brooch type craft and I'm not entirely pleased with how it turned out, but the carpinchoiness of it makes up the difference for me.   Kiss

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010 05:25:18 PM »

I love it! He's so adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010 05:28:03 PM »

Thank you!  I think they're adorable, too, but this one is an adult female.  Males have a scent marking gland on their "muzzle" up near their eyes.  Wink  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010 05:29:34 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010 05:35:19 PM »

Grin Love Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010 05:45:28 PM »

in colombian spanish, we call them chigiros.  i think they are lovely but also i have to admit i ate some at a state-fair type of festival over there ... and they taste really good, too. 

anyway, great brooch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010 06:32:50 PM »

Okay, anything with a capybara gets my attention, I always pick up stuff for my dad.  (He's got friends who call him "Capy", it's a weird long inside joke that I'm not even sure I know anymore.)

This is fantastic!  <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010 06:36:09 PM »

Thank you!  I think they're adorable, too, but this one is an adult female.  Males have a scent marking gland on their "muzzle" up near their eyes.  Wink  

I learn something new every day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010 07:46:45 PM »

I've never thought of them as a rodent just the largest guinea pig ever! Wouldn't it be neat to have one as a pet? lol.

I love your brooch it's great! And I learned a Spanish word! Which makes me happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010 09:24:35 PM »

Grin Love Smiley

Thanks!

in colombian spanish, we call them chigiros.  i think they are lovely but also i have to admit i ate some at a state-fair type of festival over there ... and they taste really good, too. 

anyway, great brooch!

I'm so glad to learn a new name for them! Are the males called chiguiro machos?  I would be willing try eating some, so long as I didn't meet it before.  Wink

Thank you!

Okay, anything with a capybara gets my attention, I always pick up stuff for my dad.  (He's got friends who call him "Capy", it's a weird long inside joke that I'm not even sure I know anymore.)

This is fantastic!  <3

That is great!  The Argentine chico we met who showed us around said he thought they were ugly, but truth is that he had a very similar nose to a carpincho.  Wink

I've never thought of them as a rodent just the largest guinea pig ever! Wouldn't it be neat to have one as a pet? lol.

I love your brooch it's great! And I learned a Spanish word! Which makes me happy.

Looks like there's an extra Spanish word from nataluna's post, too!  YEY!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boogaloo

mine is an evil meow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010 10:05:47 PM »

* The more you know*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010 03:03:54 AM »

chiguiro machos?

well... the male of any animal (and sometimes even humans) is technically called macho, so ... i would think so.
(female: hembra)

plus, i googled and these two names seem to have the female form (chigira, carpincha) ...
you always have to check, cos some animal names don't have the 2 forms.

</language nerd>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
TheMistressT

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010 08:15:34 AM »

chiguiro machos?

well... the male of any animal (and sometimes even humans) is technically called macho, so ... i would think so.
(female: hembra)

plus, i googled and these two names seem to have the female form (chigira, carpincha) ...
you always have to check, cos some animal names don't have the 2 forms.

</language nerd>

Wow!  Thanks for the info!  The guides where we were called them carpincho macho and carpincho hembra, but I do like carpincha and it makes sense, of course.  fI always forget "hembra" because we don't have a meaning for it in American English like we do "macho."  And I remember that because the American English meaning is funny when put with "carpincho."  Hopefully, now that I've seen it written I will remember.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melo.joyce
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010 08:53:07 AM »

Here in Brazil it's called capivara - pretty similar with english I guess... My father lives by the river and almost everyday he sees a capivara family eating the neighbors plants!  Cheesy

And that brooch is amazing! Looove it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010 12:52:44 PM »

I'm so happy that there are other carpincho/capybara/chiguira/capivara fans here on craftster!  I had expected this post do go mostly un-commmented upon.  YEY!

Here in Brazil it's called capivara - pretty similar with english I guess... My father lives by the river and almost everyday he sees a capivara family eating the neighbors plants!  Cheesy

And that brooch is amazing! Looove it!

Oh, yes! I have read that in Portuguese they are "capivara" and I've seen a Japanese toy called "kapibara san."

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010 06:32:19 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010 01:05:55 PM »

It's Speak!! Hehe... I love The Tick and the episode where he finds a capybara and thinks it is a dog. He names it Speak and keeps it as a pet, lol.

Love, love this! Wish I had one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
TheMistressT

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010 01:15:17 PM »

It's Speak!! Hehe... I love The Tick and the episode where he finds a capybara and thinks it is a dog. He names it Speak and keeps it as a pet, lol.

Love, love this! Wish I had one.

I had no idea!  How great.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010 06:32:47 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010 07:56:24 PM »

wow there are a lot of capybara/etc. stories out there... (^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010 08:04:17 PM »

The guides where we were called them carpincho macho and carpincho hembra, but I do like carpincha and it makes sense, of course.  fI always forget "hembra" because we don't have a meaning for it in American English like we do "macho." 

actually coming from latin the Fs became Hs in spanish (not always but mostly, i think[?]) and so fembra, well that's kinda funny too, actually.  in english, at least.

when i googled it, it seemed like the first things that came up were humans - people were using those feminine versions (the ones with the -a on there, not the "hembra" versions) as nicknames.  but i didn't investigate a lot.  so must be the correct names of the animals are like what the guides said.  i will ask dh about chigira or chigiro hembra.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
Mannon2
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010 06:22:18 AM »

Love it - my brother is obsessed with these furry critters - and he wants one for a pet - probably not the best idea, since he's already well on his way to a zoo - guniea pigs, bunnies, a dog, fish, and a couple of birds already....   Wait 'til I tell him they taste good, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010 09:05:52 AM »

The guides where we were called them carpincho macho and carpincho hembra, but I do like carpincha and it makes sense, of course.  fI always forget "hembra" because we don't have a meaning for it in American English like we do "macho."  

actually coming from latin the Fs became Hs in spanish (not always but mostly, i think[?]) and so fembra, well that's kinda funny too, actually.  in english, at least.

when i googled it, it seemed like the first things that came up were humans - people were using those feminine versions (the ones with the -a on there, not the "hembra" versions) as nicknames.  but i didn't investigate a lot.  so must be the correct names of the animals are like what the guides said.  i will ask dh about chigira or chigiro hembra.

Wow!  The etymology of words is so fun!  And then of course it's fun to see how one language can be so different depending on the culture that's speaking it.

Love it - my brother is obsessed with these furry critters - and he wants one for a pet - probably not the best idea, since he's already well on his way to a zoo - guniea pigs, bunnies, a dog, fish, and a couple of birds already....   Wait 'til I tell him they taste good, too!

They're a great animal, but maybe not the best & certainly not the easiest pet.  There is a capybara in the US who has it's (I don't know if it's male or female) own blog!  Something like gianthamster.  Anyway, it describes how it will seemingly randomly go through phases wherre it attacks and bites it's owner.  And those are some serious teeth for biting... like most (all?) rodents the teeth never stop growing.  OUCH!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010 02:27:25 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010 10:37:38 AM »

dh confirmed "chigiro hembra".

i think definitely a cloth one is easier to keep.  it won't eat thru its house for one thing (isn't that a problem of rodents?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
TheMistressT

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010 02:28:18 PM »

dh confirmed "chigiro hembra".

i think definitely a cloth one is easier to keep.  it won't eat thru its house for one thing (isn't that a problem of rodents?)

Thanks!  Is he wondering why the sudden interest in chiguiros?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa_
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010 03:50:09 PM »

This is awesome, so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010 04:31:02 PM »

This is awesome, so cute!

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tamakins37
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010 06:45:52 PM »

oh my god i love this!

when i was little one of my favorite books was Capyboppy, if you like Capybaras you should check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Capyboppy-Bill-Peet/dp/0395383684
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You know the black bits in bananas, are they tarantulas' eggs?
TheMistressT

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010 07:46:04 AM »

oh my god i love this!

when i was little one of my favorite books was Capyboppy, if you like Capybaras you should check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Capyboppy-Bill-Peet/dp/0395383684

Oh, thank you!  And thanks for the recommendation!  The cover looks adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

supersolar

ripping stiches builds character

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010 03:18:11 PM »

people always look at me funny when i tell them capybaras are my favorite animal, then ask me if i'm sure that's a real animal XD.  when i went to the national zoo to go see them, the other people there were like, "is that a giant rat?"

love capybaras Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist!
etsy!

i am a cake bandit.  and a nerd.  and i make stuff.  and i am in love with racer x.
TheMistressT

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010 03:26:04 PM »

people always look at me funny when i tell them capybaras are my favorite animal, then ask me if i'm sure that's a real animal XD.  when i went to the national zoo to go see them, the other people there were like, "is that a giant rat?"

love capybaras Smiley

Imagine the look would get if you said "carpinchos"!  Even when I explain that it's a Spanish word for capybaras a lot of people don't know.  That's fine be me, it keeps out the riff raff.  Wink  The rat description drives me crazy, though!  They look about as much like a rat as a rabbit does.  Phewee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010 06:18:57 PM »

Thanks!  Is he wondering why the sudden interest in chiguiros?

nah he thinks all my online friends are crazy anyway.
j/k (?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
TheBeldam

Wait! I'm confused.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010 10:49:32 PM »

Oh wow. I'm SO glad that someone else loves capyburas too.  I think that they look like giant guinea pigs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But why is the rum gone?
TheMistressT

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010 08:37:10 AM »

Oh wow. I'm SO glad that someone else loves capyburas too.  I think that they look like giant guinea pigs!

I looooooves them.  I think they have way more of a regal bearing than guinea pigs, myself.  I'm reminded of a long-legged, tail-less beaver or something.  They're grand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Roxanne St. Claire Reveals
The Power Book Trailer
Vincent Flynn Reveals
Thanassis Cambanis Talks About A Privilege to Die
Kyria Abrahams Reveals Her Motto
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...