A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 301,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for a cape pattern  (Read 1453 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

magadoo

I'm a robot in disguise

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 16, 2010 02:24:10 PM »

I recently rewatched City of Ember and I really want the cape Lina Mayfleet wears in the movie.  I searched online for cape patterns but they all resulted in floor length capes.  Here is what the cape looks like:

I'd rather modify an existing pattern than draft my own since I'm still new to sewing.  Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010 03:27:32 PM »

I think this would be pretty easy without a pattern if you end up not finding one. It looks like a circle cape made up of panels. This thread has an image (first one) that shows what I mean: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=277472.0
So to have it open in two places in the front, you could shift the circle (maybe three panels in this case) so that one panel ends up center front. Then you'd leave both sides of that panel open and lace it onto the other panels.
If you'd like to get more technical than just using a circle and you already have a blouse pattern, here's some instructions for making a cape using one: http://www.vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-06.html This requires drafting, but capes are pretty simple if you're feeling adventurous  Wink
Again, you'd have to shift where you cut the "circle" so you end up with a center front panel.

I know I've seen short cape patterns from the big pattern companies, though they opened center front. Have you tried McCall's, Butterick, Simplicity? Especially the costume patterns. If all else fails, use one of the floor length patterns you found and shorten it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magadoo

I'm a robot in disguise

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010 04:34:17 PM »

Thanks for the info!  I was hoping not to have to get too complicated because I'm still a newbie at sewing, but I guess there's no real choice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010 05:31:25 PM »

I actually think a cape is a good project for a beginner. If you think about it, it's pretty simple construction wise - no sleeves, no darts, this one doesn't even look like it has a collar (unless I'm just not seeing it in the image).
Out of the options I suggested earlier, the easiest would be the circle cape.You don't have to make the whole thing out of panels if that worries you... you can use a circle cut in one piece like for a skirt, it's just easier to get panels to fit on fabric, and you need them if the fabric has a pattern so the pattern faces the right direction. If you have solid fabric (or don't care about the pattern always facing the right way), search craftster for a circle skirt tutorial and to make your cape pattern, follow that except use your neck measurement instead of waist measurement. Then just cut the circle in two places to get a separate front panel. With a full circle, it would be more flowy than the one in your image, so you may want to take a segment completely out of the circle.
I hope I'm not overwhelming you with info, I worked out a couple ways to make this style of cape in my head because it's also on my to-sew list, so all the info just spills out when the topic comes up  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magadoo

I'm a robot in disguise

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010 07:20:30 PM »

I took a look at the sites you provided and I'm going to assume that the cape from the movie is a half circle cape.  I might have figured out how to make it.  I think the back of the cape is 3 different pieces in the movie but if it's a half circle cape, then I think I can leave the back as 1/4 circle and then just split the front into 3 pieces.  I got a dress form for Christmas because I'd like to start making my own clothing.  I'm going to invest in some muslin and try out my idea.  If you want, since you're thinking of making this type of cape, I can share my "pattern" (lol, that's funny to think of me making a pattern) if it works out. 

I'm also thinking the ties might be a little rustic for me so I'm going to try using zippers instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010 09:03:49 PM »

I haven't seen this movie so I'm glad my jumble of info could help out!
Sure, if you don't mind, I'd love to see the pattern you come up with. Maybe it will motivate me to finally get it done.
I think zippers will look awesome in this, great idea!
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anafelix
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010 10:14:39 PM »

I'm not sure if you're still looking for a pattern, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to add my two cents. A cape really isn't a hard pattern, but even though I have some sewing experience I still rely almost completely on patterns.

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m5913-products-10395.php?page_id=843

This one isn't completely perfect, but it wouldn't be hard to modify.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magadoo

I'm a robot in disguise

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010 07:13:52 AM »

Wow!  Thanks so much!  It does look very close to what I want to make.  I did some research on how to draft a cape pattern but most of the information I found is for 1800s style capes.  I really appreciate the two cents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Frankincense and Myrrh 101
How to Create a Modern Cat-Eye
Best And Worst Beauty Trends Of 2014
10 Ways to Wake Up Prettier Than You Went to Sleep
Best Products of 2014
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...