A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Advice On Painting Jewelry Cabinet? (with large pics)  (Read 953 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kaseyana
The Fashionable Blogging Vegetarian

Life is too short to wear boring clothes.

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2010 12:23:16 PM »

A few days ago, I bought this beautiful wooden jewelry cabinet at Goodwill, ($10!!!) thinking it would be a fun project to paint, and stencil and stuff. When I got home I realized I have no idea how to do so. So my questions are like "do I sand it first?" "What kind of paint do I use?" and most importantly "WHERE DO I START?" Here are the pictures of it, if that helps (BTW, the inside is felt, and I don't plan to change that). Any help what-so-ever would be awesome. Thanks for reading.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010 01:28:38 PM »

I love those cabinets Smiley

Here's my noob input: Whether or not you need to sand it depends on lots of things. The kind of paint you'll be using, the quality of the paint that's already there, and how picky you are with making something that'll last. But as a rule you should always sand it, not least because if the paint that's already there starts to chip, it'll take your paint with it.

I'd suggest sanding it as well as you can without scuffing the metal bits (unless you know how to take it apart and put it back together!), then taping over the windows. Work with thin coats of paint in several layers (until you're satisfied with the coverage) for something that'll last. (allow paint to dry completely in between applications). Remember to use a base paint underneath your main paint, if your color is "weak". It varies from paint to paint whether a color is weak or not, white and yellow are typical strong colors, while reds can be quite weak in some cases (takes a ton of coats for the base to stop showing through - hence the need for a base that won't be so apparent - white is a good base for red, while black tends to show through red as stripes in the paint)

I don't know of any proper brands to use, but I have a set of acrylics that have worked really well for me, for small stuff like this. (I painted a large pencil stand a while back) Especially if you follow the rules of sanding and working with thin layers, acrylics should be fine. But I'm sure someone might have a better suggestion, somewhere. Maybe google "furniture painting" or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010 06:21:56 PM »

i think you should maybe spraypaint it, but yes, after sanding.  also it looks like the glass can come out by unfastening the little metal things... but if not, then you would want to cover that, of course.  and block off the inside from the spray as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010 03:02:42 AM »

Spraypaint is awesome for an even look, just remember to be extra careful with covering up everything that doesn't need to be painted. The hangers in particular if you can't remove them (paint in the attachment of the hangers can cause them to stop being able to spin), and remember remove the drawers when spraying the rest - you could get some funny results when paint flows in through the cracks. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
battenburgprojects
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010 05:14:55 AM »

I agree... spraypaint is the way to go. I'd unscrew the little screws on the door hinges, remove the knobs and remove the drawers while you work. A light sanding definitely will help the paint adhere. If the current paint is very smooth your paint will just sit on top and scratch off every time you breathe wrong in it's direction- I know, I've done it. A lot. Before you start painting, mask all of the felt interior off with newpaper and masking tape. Overspray on felt has a really disgusting texture.

Also, not that you asked, but as soon as i saw your piece I immediately thought of how beautiful it would look with a fresh coat of paint and some big, girly vintage looking dahlias or peonies decoupaged. In aqua or mint with pretty pink flowers. Actually, you'd better just send it my way. It would look fabulous in my bathroom. No, you won't? Okay, fine!

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will look great. It's already a very cute piece.Make sure you post finished pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaseyana
The Fashionable Blogging Vegetarian

Life is too short to wear boring clothes.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010 12:52:45 PM »

Thank you so much for your help. And sorry, this cabinet is staying with me. Smiley But thank you for the decoration advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stitch a French Knot
How to Apply Iron on Transfers
How to Tie Dye a Bikini
How to Do Stitches on the Sewing Machine
How to Use Dye on Garments
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...