A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: slipcovers for the couch and pillows!  (Read 3971 times)
Tags for this thread: slipcover  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juneapostrophe
« on: January 15, 2010 08:34:30 PM »

oh baby, this project was a BIG part of my to-do list for a loooong time! finally, i got sick of looking at the plaid country fabric on the couch and got the gumption to make the slipcovers when i received a $25 gift card for joann fabrics. it just goes to show that generosity inspires creativity Wink first, a completed shot!

anyway, here are a couple of pictures (front & side views) of the couch before the slipcover was created... no offense to those who appreciate and prefer this kind of thing, of course; the couch was actually a hand-me-down from my boyfriend's parents (given to us when we moved into our apartment and they decided to get new living room furniture).

^hey, who's that handsome guy?  Roll Eyes Kiss

so i went and bought the fabric, pretty much guesstimating at how much i would need after taking some decent measurements. i ended up purchasing about 8 yards altogether for the couch (4 yards of stretchy tan and 4 yards of soft brushed terra cotta-colored cotton with a very faint animal print pattern), and 1.5 for the pillows (remnant). the pillow cover fabric was actually a remnant of designer fabric on super-sale at hancock fabrics--i was told by the cashier that the original price was over $50/yard, and i got the whole remnant for less than $7!  scoooooore! Cheesy

here's an in-progress shot, with the middle section draped over the couch and seams sewn together. there wasn't really a plan for the slipcover before i bought the fabric--i just knew i wanted something bold, comfortable, and washable. here, you can really see the sheen of the backside of the terra cotta fabric!

some pictures of the contrast between seams:

although the terra cotta fabric might look like two different fabrics, i actually just used the back for the more narrow section to add some interest and sheen to the slipcover. i think it made it look a little more special and maybe even kind of expensive...? haha who knows! the seams are top-stitched to flatten the seams and also to create a more professional look.

this picture is off in color but shows the softness of the terra cotta fabric.

here's a picture of the pillow cover fabric--i love it!

and both pillows together. the back of the small rectangular one is navy and matches the designer fabric of the other pillow cover. i simply laid triangular pieces of the couch fabric over the front of the pillow and sewed away. that pillow has lived many different lives with various fabric fronts Smiley

some long views of the couch:

the front gathers around the arms--
i used simple hook & eyes on the backs of the small rectangle pieces of fabric, as well as on the couch's fabric to gather extra fabric and keep the slipcover snug. not only does it keep things together, i think it looks a bit luxurious (if i do say so myself! Wink )

and the gathers at the side/back; same concept:

last photo--me after a bunch of hard work and calculation!  whew!

comments & constructive criticism are appreciated, and thanks for looking! Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010 08:36:49 PM by juneapostrophe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley

now selling name book/banners in my new etsy shop--check it out!:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/juneapostrophe

friend me on facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tucson-AZ/june-apostrophe-by-naomi/138853086141015?ref=ts&__a=4&ajaxpipe=1
Shannin
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010 02:00:59 AM »

That looks fantastic! I actually just started on a couch cover for my boyfriend today, hah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog | Etsy | Pintrest | Wishlist
PM me for personal swaps. Smiley
Indiana
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010 02:11:23 AM »

It looks awesome. You did a fantastic job. I really love the colours you chose.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, PM me!

Happy Crafting! Smiley
juneapostrophe
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010 07:50:02 AM »

thank you shannin and indiana! while it took a lot of hard work and planning, the end product was totally worth it!  it's amazing how a simple slipcover can dress up the whole room and change the mood of everything! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley

friend me on facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tucson-AZ/june-apostrophe-by-naomi/138853086141015?ref=ts&__a=4&ajaxpipe=1
Sarcastra
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010 08:30:39 AM »

Excellent work! I really like the tie-back/ gathering straps at the arms; they do make it look luxurious. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010 10:36:37 AM »

this is wonderful! I love the use of gathers to make it shaped! Great job. the covers on the pillows are really neato too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dancing Beetle

Ebenezer Hazard: it's always an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010 12:20:00 PM »

Beautiful job! I share your opinion of the original state of that couch - the new one is 10x better Smiley

The gathered fabric is indeed an elegant touch. I'm filing that idea away for when I finally learn to use a sewing machine and make my own slipcover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh! If I could make sense of it all. I wish that I could sing, I'd stay in a melody. I would float along in my everlasting song. What would I do to believe...
Belle & Sebastian
juneapostrophe
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010 02:21:28 PM »

dancing beetle, eliea, and sarcastra: thank you so much! i'm glad you agree with me Smiley it's a lovely feeling to know that you've been inspired by this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley

friend me on facebook!
Greenseeds
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010 02:29:58 PM »

What a transformation! The new fabric looks great. I love slipcovers. I had an old couch that has been through several changes. And the pillows are wonderful too. Thanks for sharing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juneapostrophe
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010 10:02:48 PM »

thank you greenseeds! i'm pretty proud of it, and like you said about your couch--it has been through a few changes... although i think this one is easier on the eyes than the before version Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley

friend me on facebook!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Runway Hair Curling Tips
How to Make a Modern French Twist Hairstyle
How to Create a Classic French Twist Hairstyle
How to Create Futuristic Hairstyles
Tips for Beachy Waves
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...