A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need ideas to recycle huge wine jugs!  (Read 7134 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rishloo
« on: January 15, 2010 02:43:48 PM »

I have several of the large 3L and 5L wine jugs, that I can't seem to think of a good use for.  I refuse to throw them out or just send them off to recycling.  Anything I've tried to look up for recycling wine bottles usually involves the smaller, skinnier bottles and the projects don't seem practical for a big glass jug.  (i.e. incense burners)

I'd like to use them for something cooler than what I'm using one of them for, which is a penny jar.  

One idea that came to mind was a large bottle terrarium.  With how skinny the neck is on these though, I don't see that being an easy task.  (I'm also horrible with plants!!)

Anyone have any ideas?

Cutting/Drilling is not out of the question.  

Much appreciated!  - R.C.

P.S. I just realized that this is my first post, I have lurked for a while, and have decided to stop being shy.  So, Hello Craftsters!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010 02:44:50 PM by ZonariAn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mike Jordan
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010 09:18:43 PM »

If you have a kiln and if it's big enough, you could always flatten them and make cheese/snack trays out of them. I've done Sake and Brandy bottles and I've always wanted to do one of the big glass jugs that you see every now and then.

Mike
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lexa
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010 03:33:09 PM »

You could always paint the glass or leave it as is and smash it to make mosaics. Or, you can see if your local library has the book Garden Decorations from Junk by Leeann Mackenzie, or anything similar. But I just love Mike Jordans suggestion with the tray.

I really like penny bottles. I just broke mine  Sad

You could also always make a really big sun jar   Wink
http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-made-Sun-Jar/

P.S. I love your kitty avatar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mike Jordan
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010 10:11:50 PM »

I don't do a lot of bottles but I have one of the big one litter green water bottles in the kiln now.  A lot of people where I work bring them in so they can drink water during the day. They are fatter than a wine bottle so I thought I'd bring a couple home, flatten them, put the labels back on and taken them back to work and leave them laying in the snack area. Cheesy

What I want to do, if I can come up with a mold, is to flatten it into a mold that has a tire impression so it looks like a tire ran over it and flattened it rather than broke it.  I'd also like to do that with a boot print and a couple of dog prints from one of our big dogs. Or teeth marks and then let people think (and some will) that one of our dogs bit down on it and flattened it rather than broke it. Cheesy

I think making clay impressions and either letting it dry and bisk firing it or making  plaster mold out of it is about the easiest way to create slumping molds like that. At least those are some of the ideas I have. Something like that would work real well on your big jar too.

Mike
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WUVIE
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010 01:16:51 PM »

Greetings, RC!

Cutting/Drilling is not out of the question. 

Ooh, this opens the door for many ideas. My first thought was the old
fashioned jugs from years ago. I'll try to explain, maybe someone else
will know what they are called.

A large jug is cut / sliced in half or in several large slices. Between
each slice is a round, flat piece of wood that has a groove in the top and bottom near
the edge to serve as a channel into which the glass will fit.

Basically it is a stacked storage system. I hope I'm making a shred of
sense, LOL.

They are often used for snacks or candy, nuts, etc. The downfall to storing
goodies in the top section is that you have to remove the top and the first
piece of wood, turn it upside down, then remove the lid to get to the treat.
I used to have one of these, but can't remember what happened to it. I do
remember people used to try to remove the lid, which caused all the tidbits
to fall out the top.  Smiley

Perhaps someone will come along with a picture of what I am trying to
describe.

Karen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is better to find glory in one's own merit. In fact it is more important to have self-respect than to gain respect from others, and it is better to earn glory than to publicize it.
- Madeleine de Scudry (1607-1701)
HandyCraftsman
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010 02:14:36 PM »

I make a lot of wine bottles and booze bottles into "light bottles".  I'm not sure about your really large size though.  I normally put a 60 to 100 string of mini Christmas lights into the bottles and decorate them with ribbon etc. 

You might need several strings of lights.  Also, the best lights are the led ones which have a random blink controller which causes them to blink and twinkle.  I've also included other ribbons or Mylar in some bottles with the lights to add to the affect.

The projects are really simple except for drilling a hole near the bottom to run the cord out.  But that is very easy to do with a good diamond drill bit and the right drilling techniques.

Good luck on the bottles.  I have seen a few of the 5 Liter bottles and they are really neat, so there must be a good craft project for them.  If you want to try the lights, let me know and I'll give you a few pointers to make it very easy and save you all the learning time I went through.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
draun
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011 10:22:14 PM »

I saw one being used as a decorative light...they had used a bottle cutter and cut a hole big enough to thread a set of small lights in....then the bottle was decorated..actually was looking for some guidance and googled it and came across this website....have a couple of bottles that I was looking into using...hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shiny objectitis
Mel

Look! A distraction....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011 04:48:17 PM »

oooh i just saw this recently...you could make a bottle terrarium

http://www.stormthecastle.com/terrarium/bottle-terrarium.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Red Carpet Looks for Less
Check Out the Sexiest After-Party Gowns from the Golden Globes
Tips For Shopping Like a Pro
Johnny Wujek Shares His Prom Style Tips
Worst Dressed at 2014 Golden Globes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...