A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,537
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Stretch Ribbed Cap - With Pattern!  (Read 5786 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

APlusAmigurumi
« on: January 15, 2010 02:26:55 PM »

I have knitted this cap SO many times for my daughter, my husband, my sister and myself. I wrote the pattern about three years ago when I decided I wanted to make a hat, but wasn't ready to knit in the round. I thought I would post it here to help any of you who feel the same.  Grin

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2686/4277614984_880d0a4bb1_b.jpg

Here is the pattern:

You will need: about 2 oz. of a bulky weight yarn. I used Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick.
Size 11 straight knitting needles
Yarn needle

Cast on 44 stitches
Work a knit 1, purl 1 ribbing for 5 rows

*knit 1, purl 1, knit 1, purl in front and back of the next stitch for an increase
Repeat from * to increase to 55 stitches

Row 1: knit 1, purl 1, *knit 3, purl 1
Repeat from *, ending with a single knit stitch
Row 2: knit 3, *purl 1, knit 3
Repeat from *

Repeat the last two rows for

4.5 inches for new baby
6 inches for older baby/toddler
8 inches for child
10 inches for adult
12 inches for an adult with a big head  Grin (my husband)

End the pattern stitch with row 1

knit 2 tog. to the last stitch, knit 1
purl the 28 stitches
knit 2 tog. to the last stitch
purl the 14 stitches
knit 2 tog. to the last stitch

cut the yarn, leaving a long tail. Run the yarn through the remaining 7 stitches and cinch closed. Turn the hat so that the wrong side is facing you and sew up the two sides. Weave in your ends and wear it!

I hope you all enjoy this pattern! Please post a pic for me if you knit a hat from it.  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011 03:37:35 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lalalalea
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010 03:53:06 PM »

Oooh!! I'm going to try this, I've knit hats in the round, but this will be something different to try! It looks awesome, would never have known it was knit on 2 straight needles  Smiley Thanks for posting a tut to try
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mouseatethekitty
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010 04:33:05 PM »

Sweet, I'm not ready to knit in the round yet I can't figure out how to crochet and I've been wisting cute little caps like crazy! Thanks for sharing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silverfisch
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010 09:04:04 AM »

hey, I made one!  Grin I'm fairly new to knitting and I have used dpns, but to make tubes... I was scared to make a hat or a sock, mainly because I feared how to close the gap on dpns  Tongue then I saw your little tutorial... and I had to try it!

I made a hat for my doll, I simply used sock yarn on 3mm dpns without resizing the pattern. it worked like a charm and I am SO very please I actually made something I like! I messed a couple of times and rows, but nothing too noticeable for me

the hat

on my doll

and how it looks from the back side, in case somebody is wondering!

I can't thank you enough for posting this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

malakazam
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010 08:36:43 AM »

I made this hat this morning while I was snowed in, and it's really cute and super warm!  It's great because I'm broke and can't afford any more needles.  My only problem is that I forgot to take my size into account!  I'm only about 5'2" and have a petite bone structure, so I really should have stuck with the children's size (or maybe even smaller).  I really should know better by now, but I'm kind of delusional when it comes to my size.  So, my piece measures nine inches (using about 80 yards of yarn) and is still a bit big, though I think this is a blessing in disguise because I don't have any weird bumps under my hat from my ponytail.  Perfect for a bad hair day  Cheesy

Here are some pictures!  Ignore the horribly ugly paint job  Undecided

http://i47.tinypic.com/2621u8z.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2re5s7l.jpg

Thanks so much for the pattern!  I bet I'll be making more of these in the future Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imtheasian1
Azn-Of-All-Trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011 06:53:10 PM »

Made this hat in 5-6 hours today! Used Peaches and Cream yarn, I think that's what it was. I was destashing. Smiley Instead of 44 cst, I did 46. Aside from that, I followed everything. Was SUPER easy. I'll definitely be going back to this again for hats for everyone. Thanks for the tut!

Here's my 1 year old wearing his. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've never been able to do a swap, but I'd LOVE to do one! Especially a personal swap!
I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter, AVPM, AVPS, Glee..eh, let's just say anything geekwise. Wink
OHAI! Check out my blog? http://theninjaherself.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pretty Savvy: Luxe Headband
How to Make Sharpie Tie-Dye T-Shirts
Artist Derek Gores Creates Incredible Collage From Hate Speech
How to Make Holiday Star Shaped Garlands
How to Make Bubble Wands For Fourth of July
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...