A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A small selection of my friends Sharpie tattoos  (Read 25429 times)
Tags for this thread: sharpie , faux_tattoo  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PhotoholicFreak

Provehito in altum

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2010 11:31:49 AM »

For starters, this is all my friends work, she doesn't have a craftster account but I felt that she deserves some recognition for her awesome work.
She has been using biro and sharpies to "tattoo" people for about a year now, and here are a few recent ones...

A peacock on herself:

A bird on my hand:

Angel wings on her mother:

And my favourite... the wings she did on me Smiley

Hope you like them, I will forward any comments onto her Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Missing_Muse

Craft like you care!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010 11:42:07 AM »

holy sh*t! Those are freakin' amazing. Your friend needs to get her hands on a tattoo machine ASAP. For real. I'm so insanely impressed by her work my brain has melted. Just- wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organizing my first swap:  Go Green Quick and Easy Weekend Swap!
figgi
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010 11:42:44 AM »

Those are utterly amazing. I mean.. Wow.. I wouldnt mind having that peacock as a permanent one. Tell your friend she is GOOD.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shaints
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010 11:50:37 AM »

WOW. Shocked THOSE ARE FANTASTIC!!!

I can't believe how delicate the shading is, and she was just using markers! The four of them are amazing, but those first wings are intense.

Please, tell your friend she rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit Craftster's English-Spanish Dictionary! ~> http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=265119.0
mandybles

I <3 my pooch.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010 11:52:05 AM »

Wow! Tell your friend that her work is absolutely gorgeous! I could never commit to a real tattoo, but she could draw on my arm any day of the week! And for goodness' sake, get her on Craftster! I'd love to see more of her work.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katara
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010 11:53:38 AM »

Those are stunning designs!!! Your friend is truly talented!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheriffkarli
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010 11:59:48 AM »

those are stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
moxiepurple
Star Stealer

Meow...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010 12:02:49 PM »

I got two 24 packs of sharpies for Christmas to do some of these! I like yours the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am up for a personal swap!
papa justify

Will swap for panda art supplies or fabric!

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010 12:31:00 PM »

I love that peacock! I wish it was a real tattoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010 01:16:01 PM »

my god, these are just beautiful! hitting this rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010 01:42:16 PM »

I love this idea and your friend is awesomely talented. How long do these usually last?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010 02:18:11 PM »

These are quite fantastic, and your friend has great talent. I was wondering if could be harmful to your health, and did some research. This is what I found:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_drawing_on_your_skin_with_sharpies_dangerous
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spud
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010 03:28:55 PM »

oh my gosh, they're fabulous, I looove the peacock one!!!!! she should look into getting into actual tattooing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010 03:32:00 PM »

I'm with you on this one, craftewoman. The sharpie tattoos are really, truly gorgeous. But... all those chemicals leaching into your skin concerns me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicytaco

Lalala...

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010 03:36:03 PM »

I think the chemicals would only be a prob if there was long term exposure. Say drawing on yourself with sharpies on a daily basis. Then the chemicals would accumulate in your body and that's when you may see a problem. But for the most part, just once and a while I can't see it being to much of an issue.

Those are so, so, so pretty. Totally love them. Especially the white accents. (Is it white or silver? I've never seen a white sharpie....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010 04:14:18 PM »

I agree with you spicytaco, anything in moderation. I will die I'm sure of other bad habits but this would be a fun way to embellish my soul when I feel a need for change. Too bad I don't know anyone with those skills, OH WAIT, my nephew does and he will be here tomorrow, even though he is more of a 'street artist'. I just don't have the sharpies here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010 04:39:36 PM »

What a cool way to try out a "tattoo". I'd do it once in a while. I'm also wondering how long they last. It's probably like spray tan, where it depends on how often you shower and how hard you scrub.

Oh yes, and the artwork is exemplary.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010 04:40:19 PM by Feast Your Eyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010 04:58:52 PM »

I agree with some of the others about having that on ones skin...but DoooooooD!  those rock!  Seriously, your friend should look into tattooing as a job...she has some serious art skills and color skill! Dang. The wings and peacock...holy smokes. Very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
pookiemccool
"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010 05:26:55 PM »

those are very beautiful, I can't believe what shading she was able to do with Sharpie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010 06:31:44 PM »

beautiful!!! I love both sets of wings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feets
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010 07:55:01 PM »

These are as awesome as chocolate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JaneH
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010 11:40:30 PM »

Those are just beautiful! I'm speechless..  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marieC
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010 07:51:13 AM »

How fast is she at doing them?  If she can do simple ones nice and quick they'd be a rocking fundraiser (kind of like facepainting, but for grownups) at a fair or something like it.

Tattoos are cool and all, but the permanence is a super bummer.  If someone out there is a material scientist or chemical engineer, safe pens/needles that the ink will last for a couple of weeks or months is where the money is.  Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
Alchamy513

Watson's Warriors

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010 10:41:18 AM »

Just beautiful... I wish I could draw like that. The peacock is by far my favorite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in Sherlock Holmes! : Avengers Assemble!
My Pinterest
Lisa_
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010 04:23:49 PM »

Wow these are stunning! I'd never want to wash them off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlishaMisha
Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Epcot I go!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010 05:21:17 PM »

Loooooove these! Especially the peacock.

P.S. I Love your nape piercing  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftCrazy13

Bem que se quis...

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010 07:18:38 PM »

I love the angel wings. Is the white-looking color a silver metallic sharpie? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eyeluvlilG
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010 09:37:37 PM »

Yes, I think that this girl needs to apprentice at a tattoo shop ASAP. Then let me know where she's working, so I can get some work done. Tongue Tell her the stuff is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been working hard to post daily and keep providing creative content on my blog:
  http://acireg.blogspot.com
Etsy:
  http://acirebaby.etsy.com
  http://acireg.etsy.com
Facebook:
  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Acire-Adventures-Blog/118056124922448
Twitter:
  http://twitter.com/4Acire
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010 10:42:11 PM »

Fantastic! I hope sharpie isn't harmful to use on the body though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010 12:44:31 AM »

Just gorgeous! I wouldn't mind one of those on my bod (but I want the real thing, yo)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stringofpearls
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010 03:44:14 AM »

These are amazing! That's such a cool way to get to work with other people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010 08:00:51 AM »

You need to get her an account! She does FANTASTIC work. I, too, could never commit to a real tattoo but this would be perfect for people like me!! I would rock anything she drew on me with talent like that! And unlike some others, I do not think she needs to get a tattoo machine but keep going with the Sharpie tats. Much more creative!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MinnieMay9
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010 08:27:20 AM »

That is insanely pretty.  I agree with other people, she needs and account so we can see more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
PhotoholicFreak

Provehito in altum

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010 02:54:33 PM »

I tell you what guys, wow was she impressed by all the comments you've left Smiley
Will be setting up an account for the lovely girl (who's name is Amie... by the way) when I have some time so she can get to show you more of her work (if you've been impressed by this stuff there's a hell of a lot more to come).

Just felt the need to answer a few questions/clear up any queries
First of all, I've been "tattooed" on a number of times and have seen her do quite a few as well (as well as trying to do one myself on her...) so hopefully I know enough to answer these questions.

1. Is using sharpie harmful on the skin/are the chemicals an issue?
Obviously there are chemicals in sharpies, they are permanent markers but in this small scale they have no harm what so ever to skin, whether the skin is sensitive or not. Amie always does testers on people before doing any large scale work just in case anyone would react, and she's done tattoos on over 20 people (a majority of them more than once) with no reactions or any complaints. For it to be harmful you would have to cover your entire body in sharpie ink and apply it fresh everyday for months. - This is research done by Amie, she wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't safe.

2. Is that a white or silver sharpie I can see?
Amie uses silver sharpies, and the white ink is an "Uni posca" which is another type of permanent marker. They are brilliant for highlights.

3. When is she going to get her hands on a tattoo gun/start an apprenticeship as a tattoo artist?
Well, she's only 16 Smiley
We are both currently at sixth form, she's in her first year and I'm in my second. She has already had an offer for an apprenticeship but wanted to stay on at school, but as I'm (hopefully) moving to brighton in the autumn she may end up trying to get an apprenticeship there. I totally agree she should be going into this profession, but like others I hope she doesn't give this up. I know there are others out there who do this kind of thing, but I think it's brilliant to see such talent in someone who's only been doing it for a year.

4. How long does it take to tattoo?
Well, obviously it varies depending on size and the amount of colour/detail involved. The angel wings took 6 hours, my wings took about 2/3, the LOVE and bird took about half an hour and the peacock... probbly 2 hours (she stopped halfway). Before she has done a spine in biro that took 7 hours, but many of her smaller pieces can be up to an hour really. I love the idea of an adults version of "face paint", but since it is quite time consuming it would be tricky. She has started charging people now for designs, and to be honest I think with advertising it's the kind of thing that could earn her a good amount of money.

5. How long do they last?
When done with biro they smudge easily, it's a real shame because that's what gives the best shading. My wings started smudging as soon as I put a baggy t-shirt on Sad
Sharpies last a little longer, depending on placement. They too will fade quite quickly, but when they are in places that only gets wet when in the shower or something then they can last a few days. I tend to wash mine off as soon as they start fading too much, some colours last a lot longer than others (Yellow for example is a nightmare to get rid of!)

Other things...
I am taking her down to Brighton with me in a couple of weeks, we are going to try and chat to some people about apprenticeships, so fingers crossed Smiley
Also... the person who mentioned my nape piercing, thanks Cheesy 5 months and no problems

Lemme know if you have anymore questions and I'll tell you when Amie has an account Smiley

Thank you again for the kind words, I'm so proud of her Smiley and I know she really appriciates all that's been said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlishaMisha
Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Epcot I go!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010 12:52:38 AM »

Also... the person who mentioned my nape piercing, thanks Cheesy 5 months and no problems
Haha Your welcome. It was actually going to be my next piercing but I just had a piercing reject after 8 months so I now have to tend to that and get it redone once it is completely healed. I plan on getting more surface piercings in the future, but I got to tend to the ones I have now. Sadly ones you have had for years can suddenly reject.

Anyways I hope your friend does indeed become a tattoo artist and I hope that you can continue to share her work or at least have her become a craftster
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PhotoholicFreak

Provehito in altum

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010 03:01:50 PM »

Ah I've been told I'm wrong, peacock only took an hour Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxyBlue
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2010 10:21:03 AM »

Those are absolutely beautiful! Her colours are so vibrant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010 04:23:09 AM »

those are just so amazing!! I love the angel wings so much.

how long does it take to draw them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010 04:24:15 AM »

those are just so amazing!! I love the angel wings so much.

how long does it take to draw them?

oops just saw you had answered this already Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PhotoholicFreak

Provehito in altum

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010 04:48:11 PM »

I think each time she does a new tattoo she gets faster, now she can draw two perfect roses with shading in about 3 minutes. She did some on the back of my neck while I was doing my hair before school :L
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010 05:13:55 PM »

I think each time she does a new tattoo she gets faster, now she can draw two perfect roses with shading in about 3 minutes. She did some on the back of my neck while I was doing my hair before school :L

That's amazing!! I can't draw at ALL, so to draw perfect roses so quickly while someone is doing their hair just blows my mind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alex(andra)

Jusqu'ici, tout va bien.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010 10:45:38 AM »

This has been said about 5000 times already but I have to say it too: These are amazing! I used to doodle on my hands/arms with Sharpies in high school but never anything this awesome. (Also I got in trouble for it... Undecided )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." [Noam Chomsky]
MrsBlettel
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2010 12:59:11 PM »

those are way awesome! she should be a tattoo artist! great texture to them too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No, I like to rock n' roll all night and "part" of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1 till 3.
Clarachk
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2010 01:22:19 PM »

Stunningly nice! You may have been able to convince me these were real ink! Like PERMANENT tat's! They are unbelievably beautiful. I suggest your friend gets a licence to use a tattoo gun! ROCK IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Baby Hair Clips
Wedding Wear For Kids
Helping a Child Adjust to School Uniforms
Kids Clothing for All Seasons
Rough and Ready Sportswear for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...