A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old kiddie swimming pool  (Read 1501 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkmissmarilyn
« on: January 15, 2010 10:24:26 AM »

What can I do with an old plastic swimming pool in the shape of a turtle!? Lol. It's not very deep, but it's pretty sturdy. I had thought about using it for my compost heap, but quickly ditched that idea and just started my heap right on the ground.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010 03:29:45 PM »

fish pond/aquatic garden:
when my kids grew out of their kiddie pool I spray painted it with undercoating
(black, rubberized- used for car body to prevent rusting) $5 /can . I used 2 cans.
I dug down in the ground & set it in, put in a small pond/fountain pump, then bought
some cheap goldfish (they grow big & even make it thru the winter) or if you want
a couple koi fish. Plant some plants around, a few plants set into the pool/pond.
the kids love to feed the fish breadcrumbs. this year I'm re-using the "wet banana" slip & slide that's no longer, adding more rocks on & around it to get a riverbed effect. I'd post a picture, but we have a couple feet of snow right now. can you tell I like gardening too? Smiley Good Luck Whatever You Do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010 07:32:47 PM »

We use ours for mixing potting soil.  Not very crafty, I know, but that's how it gets used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 43 done
lylacfey
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010 08:00:31 AM »

You can build a small garden in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
pinkmissmarilyn
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010 11:15:21 AM »

fish pond/aquatic garden:
when my kids grew out of their kiddie pool I spray painted it with undercoating
(black, rubberized- used for car body to prevent rusting) $5 /can . I used 2 cans.
I dug down in the ground & set it in, put in a small pond/fountain pump, then bought
some cheap goldfish (they grow big & even make it thru the winter) or if you want
a couple koi fish. Plant some plants around, a few plants set into the pool/pond.
the kids love to feed the fish breadcrumbs. this year I'm re-using the "wet banana" slip & slide that's no longer, adding more rocks on & around it to get a riverbed effect. I'd post a picture, but we have a couple feet of snow right now. can you tell I like gardening too? Smiley Good Luck Whatever You Do!

Thanks, seleniebeanie! I had been thinking of doing something like that, and I even have a nice little place that would work perfectly, I just need to figure out the logistics, (and convince my husband I'm not crazy.) Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacykittycat
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010 12:01:48 PM »

I like the garden idea. I may do that myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSSchulte
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010 02:49:52 PM »

I've used my for turtles and to plant in and as a sandbox. I also gave one away on freecycle to someone who was going to use it to water animals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ACraftyCrow
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010 02:18:52 PM »

If it doesn't hold water, you could always cut it up and use the plastic for other crafts, like making "sequins" of sorts or earrings...

Also - make sure the pond is deep enough for the fish to winter over!! They're also prey for raccoons, so read up about that - nothing worse than coming home to your beloved fish pond only to find that your fish have been eaten Sad They have special fish food you can buy thats supposedly a balanced meal for fish (a little more nutritional than bread).  I love all of your ideas though!  I may keep this in mind for future reference!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Start a Basic Crochet Blanket
How to Select the Right Size Knitting Ring
How to Use Triple Crochet in Granny Squares
How to Start Knitting on a Ring Loom
How to Press Down Your Loom Knitted Material
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...