A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old kiddie swimming pool  (Read 1641 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkmissmarilyn
« on: January 15, 2010 10:24:26 AM »

What can I do with an old plastic swimming pool in the shape of a turtle!? Lol. It's not very deep, but it's pretty sturdy. I had thought about using it for my compost heap, but quickly ditched that idea and just started my heap right on the ground.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010 03:29:45 PM »

fish pond/aquatic garden:
when my kids grew out of their kiddie pool I spray painted it with undercoating
(black, rubberized- used for car body to prevent rusting) $5 /can . I used 2 cans.
I dug down in the ground & set it in, put in a small pond/fountain pump, then bought
some cheap goldfish (they grow big & even make it thru the winter) or if you want
a couple koi fish. Plant some plants around, a few plants set into the pool/pond.
the kids love to feed the fish breadcrumbs. this year I'm re-using the "wet banana" slip & slide that's no longer, adding more rocks on & around it to get a riverbed effect. I'd post a picture, but we have a couple feet of snow right now. can you tell I like gardening too? Smiley Good Luck Whatever You Do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010 07:32:47 PM »

We use ours for mixing potting soil.  Not very crafty, I know, but that's how it gets used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 67 done
lylacfey
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010 08:00:31 AM »

You can build a small garden in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
pinkmissmarilyn
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010 11:15:21 AM »

fish pond/aquatic garden:
when my kids grew out of their kiddie pool I spray painted it with undercoating
(black, rubberized- used for car body to prevent rusting) $5 /can . I used 2 cans.
I dug down in the ground & set it in, put in a small pond/fountain pump, then bought
some cheap goldfish (they grow big & even make it thru the winter) or if you want
a couple koi fish. Plant some plants around, a few plants set into the pool/pond.
the kids love to feed the fish breadcrumbs. this year I'm re-using the "wet banana" slip & slide that's no longer, adding more rocks on & around it to get a riverbed effect. I'd post a picture, but we have a couple feet of snow right now. can you tell I like gardening too? Smiley Good Luck Whatever You Do!

Thanks, seleniebeanie! I had been thinking of doing something like that, and I even have a nice little place that would work perfectly, I just need to figure out the logistics, (and convince my husband I'm not crazy.) Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacykittycat
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010 12:01:48 PM »

I like the garden idea. I may do that myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSSchulte
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010 02:49:52 PM »

I've used my for turtles and to plant in and as a sandbox. I also gave one away on freecycle to someone who was going to use it to water animals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ACraftyCrow
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010 02:18:52 PM »

If it doesn't hold water, you could always cut it up and use the plastic for other crafts, like making "sequins" of sorts or earrings...

Also - make sure the pond is deep enough for the fish to winter over!! They're also prey for raccoons, so read up about that - nothing worse than coming home to your beloved fish pond only to find that your fish have been eaten Sad They have special fish food you can buy thats supposedly a balanced meal for fish (a little more nutritional than bread).  I love all of your ideas though!  I may keep this in mind for future reference!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Quick and Easy Recipes for the Back-To-School Transition
Bacon Blue Cheese Sliders Recipe
Dog Haus’ Gourmet Hot Dog Recipe
‘Taste of Home’ Magazine’s Beefy Burrito Recipe
How to Make an Authentic New York Hot Dog
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...