A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Do I Create This Effect?  (Read 704 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: February 23, 2013 07:33:03 AM »

Hi guys

I make all kinds of jewellery for my shop in the UK including several cameo pieces but I am wanting to create a Zombie/The Dead range and wondered if anyone knew of any tutorials or just some advice on how to create the painted effect on the zombie cameo in the photo. I want some texture adding to it. Thanks for any help

Take care

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013 06:03:09 PM »

I would paint most of the skin area with a thin layer of green paint, then, while it is still wet, brush a little yellow on the high points--nose, cheeks, forehead, etc.  Paint the eyeballs, shirt, jacket, neck bolts.   

Let dry completely, then paint on watered down dark gray paint.  Let it settle into the crevices and low points, and dab it off the high points if needed. 

It looks like they used a little full-strength gray paint to make the shadows on the cheeks and at the neckline.

lastly, paint the lightning bolts.

i wonder how light purple highlighted with yellow would look for zombie skin?

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013 06:38:27 AM »

I'd like to chime in, if I may. You could do a base green color, wait for that to dry. Do a dark wash (maybe dark gray/black), just be careful not to use too much. It's very easy to do. Then follow with highlight colors, which would be brighter colors like a brighter green, or white, what have you and dry brush them on. Again, be sure not to use too much paint. Dip, dab on paper towel, then brush on.

I used to read White Dwarf magazines a lot and in them, had several painting techniques for miniatures. I hope I helped. To vouch, I do have a pic of a Santa head I've painted using this very same technique: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=515178671249&l=e5d3058dea .
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF MODELS: "TOP 100" - Hana Soukupová
VF MODELS: "TOP 100" - Ujjwala Raut
VF MODELS: "TOP 100" - Oluchi
VF MODELS: "TOP 100" - Hanna Rundlöf
2015 Beauty Trends Continued
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...