A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,701
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mushroom House for my Hedgehog :) Pictures out the Wazoo...  (Read 17299 times)
Tags for this thread: hedgehog , mushroom , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chocolate_Jo

Can I have some fishy crackers?

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2010 02:13:40 PM »

I'm getting a hedgehog this Sunday...(SO EXCITED)...and it just so happens that this gives me a perfect opportunity to let out my compulsive need to craft Smiley

Hedgies like to burrow and hide but the only retail brand small animal houses I cuold find were igloos...but I'm pretty sure there aren't any plastic igloos native to where hedgehogs are from...So without further ado..the Mushroom Hedgie Hut!

I just used an upside down butter tub, cut out a hole, and covered it in fleece. Hopefully Algernon (my hedgehog ^.^) will fit in the doorway!

Better view of the top and the spots Smiley

Then my inability to leave anything I make alone for five minutes compelled me to add a door...for privacy? lol

I think Algy likes it Smiley

And while I am on my happy binge about things Ive made for my hedgehog...

Algys cage...made out of storage cubes and lined with Coroplast (that stuff they make campaign signs out of)

After staring at all the whiteness of the coroplast clashing with the otherwise colorful cage, again, my need for change took over and I added...

GRASS.
Well. Paper grass. *giggle* it made me feel ten times better about the color scheme Smiley

Also made the ramp up to the loft; just bent some run of the mill polyester boning and pulled fabric over it covered wagon style.

And finally...

So everyone will know its Algys home Smiley

OH.
And I cut up a lunchbox and made a hedgehog carrying case...lol sewing machines + bulky lunchboxes = bad. It was originally just a solid purple lunchbox, I just cut out the front and added some mesh for ventilation.

EE Smiley
C&C LOVED.
Thanks you guys Smiley
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010 05:24:01 PM by Chocolate_Jo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

RobbinZombie

One day my organized chaos will just be organized

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010 02:28:02 PM »

absolutely love!!!!  Whats the ramp made out of I have a guinea pig and I want to make his cage two stories, but I'm not sure what to make the ramp out of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chocolate_Jo

Can I have some fishy crackers?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010 02:38:06 PM »

absolutely love!!!!  Whats the ramp made out of I have a guinea pig and I want to make his cage two stories, but I'm not sure what to make the ramp out of.

I took one of the grid pieces used for the cage walls, and cut (wire cutters make it sooooo much easier lol) it down to the width I wanted. Then I hot glued plastic boning in arc shapes to the sides of the cut up grid piece, and just stretched some fabric over them, gluing it to the first and last boning loop. For the floor of the ramp, so little hedgehog (or guinea pig!) feet don't fall through, I folded a strip of fleece in half and velcroed it to the loft floor and then the ground floor of the cage. That way, it doesn't slide arond, but if it gets dirty you can remove it and wash it ^.^ If that was super vague, tell me, lol I'm not a very precise person Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pookiemccool
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010 02:41:17 PM »

that is really cute, especially with the door!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IdlersDesign
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010 02:44:49 PM »

I first thought that it was a hat (would be a fun one!), but also as a hedgehog house it looks cute!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
notanotherxerox
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010 03:40:15 PM »

Congratulations on the hedgehog! Is this your first? I have one too and they are wonderful:) You made such cute stuff for it!!!! My hedgehog, Finley, is definitely jealous! Love how you used a lunchbox to make the carrying cage, thats a great idea. Finley had grass decorating her cage walls too, but I just painted a little outdoors scene with a tree, sun, etc. and taped it to the back. I really like how yours goes all the way around.

Have fun with your hedgie!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a kind upcycled greeting cards
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReCardCreations
Send someone a smile, help the Earth
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010 03:45:42 PM »

That's super cute... You know, I've never seen a hedgehog. How big is it?
Sounds like a fun pet. Do you think he might be able to climb up the grid and escape? If I was him, I'd sure like that mushroom! All it needs now is a little round pillow.??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Indiana
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010 04:07:43 PM »

Oh, so cute! I'm sure he'll love it. I love the grass idea too, it really does look much better than the plain white. Good job. You're so lucky to be getting a hedgehog, they are so darn cute! We don't have them over here in Australia Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, PM me!

Happy Crafting! Smiley
teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010 05:46:29 PM »

Very clever, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smallhold
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010 03:26:53 AM »

This is just too cute for words. Algernon is a lucky little fellow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hi, my name is Smallhold and I compulsively collect looms."
"Hi Smallhold."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Preparing to Use Photoshop Lesson 2
Preparing to Use Photoshop Lesson 1
Introduction to Photoshop Lesson 1
The Basic of Photoshop
The Basic of Photoshop Lesson 3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...