A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Small Paint Jars  (Read 2892 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovelyxmalia
« on: January 14, 2010 07:17:54 AM »

I have about a dozen of these small jars from paints I bought a few years ago...all of the paints are dried and crusted now, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what to do with the jars?

I have a bunch of other paints in tubes that I was thinking of putting in them, but I don't know if they'll dry out in there.  I bought the other paints at a dollar store and I'm having problems with caps falling off of the tubes and stuff.  Does anyone have any ideas?  My boyfriend suggested putting little scrap papers in there and making a little decoration with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
i_am_138
Sew Vicious

Sew Vicious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010 07:26:49 AM »

If you do any jewlery making or sewing you can use the jars to seperate your charms, clasps, etc. or if you sew you can seperate your buttons with them. That's what I do with all of mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010 07:28:31 AM »

What a score! They would be great for all sorts of little things like brads, jewels, beads,tiny buttons, and stuff for making any type of papercrafts--I am jealous of your little jars!

They would fit perfectly on a little ledge or can be tossed into a traveling papercraft kit...

lucky you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovelyxmalia
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010 07:31:10 AM »

Thanks for the tips!  I do have a bunch of little beads and little craft trinkets that actually need a good home. They're all stuffed in a drawer of one of my plastic totes right now...not a good organization system.

I suggest the paints that came in these jars to every crafter tho!  They are from Wal Mart and they are $10 for about 20 of them...they work on ANYTHING you can imagine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

& comet's tail
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010 07:42:17 AM »

Really? I like to have general use paints on hand--and $10 is cheaper than buying the bottles when you only need a little bit of each color!  Thanks for the tip!  Looks like a walmart trip is in my future!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sum1smuma
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010 07:45:48 AM »

The tubes are better for storing paints (don't allow air in to dry out paints) but those would be great for mixing small amounts of paint. I also think jewelery supplies or other small items like those found objects that are picked up and collected for future projects.
I love the fact that your BF had a creative idea ( also a tad jealous since mine would never). They remind me of monocles. Anything is possible! Show us what you do with them. I will be looking for these at Walmart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
lovelyxmalia
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010 07:58:08 AM »

The paints are made by a company called Palmer...they're just called Basic Acrylics and they are PERFECT for painting paper, I've painted plastic with them, wood, and even fabrics when I'm making book covers! I LOVE them!!  And they dry extremely fast which is good when I'm doing my altered books and notebook covers.

And my boyfriend is very crafty, too...that's why I love him. Smiley He made me a bunch of gifts since we started dating in the fall...it's nice to have a crafty man in my life for once!  And I do love the tubes because they make painting an entire page very easy, but some of the covers fall off on occasion and I fear they will dry up. 

I'll probably use a few for organization (I have about 20 since they come in packs of 24...a few of the jars have been lost in my many moves) and I'll probably use a few more for little decorations...I was thinking of doing the waterless snow globe with styrofoam pieces...I guess the possibilities are endless!  I'm very thankful for all of the ideas, though!  They definitely sparked the creative juices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

& comet's tail
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010 08:12:12 AM »

Waterless snow globes? tell me more....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovelyxmalia
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010 08:19:27 AM »

I actually got the waterless snowglobe idea from a kids craft book...you make the jar/can/whatever as you would a regular snowglobe by gluing a figurine to the cap.  The only difference is, you use really tiny styrofoam pieces inside because they are so small and lightweight that they float around aimlessly when you shake it.  Another idea suggested using really fine glitter to make the styrofoam sparkle.  I thought it sounded adorable when I read it and wanted to try it, but I didn't have any jars at the time and neither did anyone on my local freecycle.  I might try a small-scale version of it with these jars, especially since I get a lot of things from ebay and it all comes with the packing peanuts that I never know what to do with besides bring back to the Post Office for them to use
THIS ROCKS   Logged

& comet's tail
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010 08:30:22 AM »

great project for kids--I teach a kids crafting class at our recreational center based on recycling--glass jars and styrofoam are perfect for this!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
White Chocolate and Raspberry Cookies Recipe
Gluten Free Strawberry and Cream Cupcake Recipe
Donuts Are Not Just for Breakfast Anymore
Fresh Fruit Popsicle Recipe
Strawberry and Vanilla Baked Alaska Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...