A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 307,957
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Creative ways to incorporate patches?  (Read 623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alishamarie

Imagine all the people...living life in peace

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2010 09:39:28 PM »

So..posted this in a different area but realized that it probably makes more sense here (sorry!)

My grandfather passed away a month ago and in going through his things we found a box of patches (TONS) from various awards he has won throughout the years.

As a sort of remembrance for the family I wanted to make a quilt or something incorporating the patches in a crafty way but have not come up with any ideas yet  

So just asking (OK -- borderline begging...) if anyone can think of anything creative I can do, possibly even something other than a quilt; the quilt just came to mind first.  Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!!!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think everybody should like everybody.
            -andy warhol
lovelyxmalia
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010 08:04:15 AM »

I'm not a great quiltmaker, so when you say patches, the first thing that comes to mind is a scrapbook!  Awards and patches meant A LOT back then, especially if he was in the military.  If you decided to go with the scrapbook, you can incorporate pictures of the time frame (roughly) when he won them.  Doing something for the family is a great idea, though!

Although I'm not very color coordinated (trust me, I'm pretty bad), if you wanted to do the quilt, I'd suggest using white as a base and maybe doing squares for each patch that really make the patch stick out?  I had a quilt made (cost me about $35 at my local sewing shop) for my ex fiance who was a firefighter with all of the memories of 9/11 and different patches and things I found on ebay.  Most sewing shops make quilts for you depending on what you want...just pick your colors and run with it!  If you do make a quilt, I'd have a thin one done...so it can be hung on a wall...that's not something you want to ruin by having people sit on it and move it around much.

It's really great that you're thinking of doing something so nice and honorable for your family!  I'm sure whatever you decide will be cherished forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010 02:57:17 PM »

Or you could mount them on black velvet and frame them behind glass to keep them clean.  Then you could make a frame for every member of the family who is in need of a memory.  Share the wealth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 122 done

Just married...after 22 years of unwedded bliss.
funkensteins
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010 07:26:05 PM »

I like Pinokeeos idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkensteins.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...