A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for detailed books to get me started in knitting  (Read 523 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazylittlekels
« on: January 13, 2010 03:52:10 PM »

Hi there! I'm not new to knitting (as long as it involves a rectangle of some sort) but I would really like to be better at it. I have some round needles and an assortment of straight needles I got at Goodwill and I'm ready to start! (or rather, ready to further my education)

What I'm looking for is a book that helps you learn everything from knitting in the round to cables. I want to know it all! And mostly I want to learn about how to make a sweater Smiley (and everything else!) I have one book that has the most amazing patterns but for the life of me some of the terminology is way out of my league so it's hard for me to start.

If you can help me, please post some book ideas in the comments! I can't seem to find any really in-depth books like that, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough  Undecided

Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
Riki
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010 05:58:30 PM »

There are quite a few books out there that do what you want ... for the sake of thrift, why not check your local library? Also, an excellent site that gives you all that information free - plus has videos - is knittinghelp.com - Some of the books I've seen include Knitting for Dummies.

As for abbreviations, there is such a variety that most patterns will have them explained down at the bottom.

A book I highly recommend is Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Knitting Without Tears" - she starts the knitter on the road to being someone who can take any pattern and adapt it to their own needs .. and most libraries (good ones anyway!) have her books. She is kind of a knitting icon! (would have been 100 this year, I think)

Hope this helps!
Riki in Bangkok
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SassyRedhead
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010 05:55:36 AM »

I second Knitting Without Tears.
I used Teach Yourself Visually: Knitting when I started out, the pictures are in color and very clear, it's very basic though, so I haven't used it as anything but a reference since I learned the basics. I think what helped me the most were the knittinghelp.com videos as well as  sites like this and like ravelry where you can ask specific questions about a pattern note, or even just googling the specific term, like google: "ssk" knitting
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides."
James Quinn
madannevain17
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010 06:13:23 AM »

When I first began learning how to knit, I bought a couple of how-to books, but I found that they really weren't all that helpful. Knitting is a motion, and it's hard to capture that in a book sometimes. Instead, I got a basic pattern (knitty.com is great--- they have some lovely ones for beginners), and then used google/youtube to figure out what everything meant. For example, if the pattern read:

CO 22 st

I'd look up what CO meant, (search "Knitting CO''), and after finding out the answer, i'd youtube "how to cast on". I'd do this for everything the pattern called for, until TADA! A lovely little hat or sweater lay in my lap.

The library might be a good place to start for some books too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010 06:28:54 AM »

Yes, go to your library and see what they have, a lot of them may be checked out, so keep looking every week, or look up their card catalog. For abbreviations, the Glossary at knitting help - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary - has most of the common ones many with video. And they have videos there for just about everything, including knitting in the round. The Community pages at Knit picks   have several basic videos too - http://www.knitpicks.com/cftutorials/tutorials_home.cfm?&medid=KCNing - ooh, and I see they have a Glossary page too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010 10:04:00 AM »

What I'm looking for is a book that helps you learn everything from knitting in the round to cables. I want to know it all! And mostly I want to learn about how to make a sweater Smiley

Besides the books already mentioned, here's a few more that have the kind of info you're looking for -

Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti - general knitting info
Knitting Workshop by Jacqueline Fee - knit the sweater sampler to learn all the techniques to knit sweaters. The sweaters in this book are raglans using Elizabeth Zimmermann's methods.
Knitting in the Old Way by Priscilla Gibson Roberts - how-to knit sweaters bottom-up
Knitting from the Top by Barbara Walker - how-to knit sweaters top-down

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittersusie
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010 01:05:02 PM »

I learnt using Debbie Bliss's book how to knit : http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Knit-Definitive-Step-step/dp/1843402130/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263502758&sr=8-8. I bought that one because I actually liked the patterns in it. I've knitted a couple of them, and intend on knitting most of the others at some point, but nearly all the new techniques I've learned I've gone back to that to check something, or learnt it from that book.

Having said that, the pattern for the lacey tunic I started last week is wrong. (I've triple checked - I'm convinced it's the pattern that is wrong not my inexperience.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazylittlekels
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010 06:47:32 PM »

Thank you all so very very much! I will have to go to my library soon and see their selection Smiley
I am very excited to check out most of your suggestions too! Thank you again! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
threekidstwolabs
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010 09:32:29 PM »

Knittinghelp.com and youtube were the most helpful to me but I also consult "Knitting for Dummies" every time I need help with a stitch and so forth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
George Melloan Talks About The Great Money Binge
Paige Toon Talks About Chasing Daisy
Laurie Abraham Talks About The Husbands and Wives Club
Andrew Clements Talks About We the Children
Regan Hoffman Talks About I Have Something to Tell You
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...