A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: turning classic nintendo screenshot into cross stitch pattern?  (Read 4003 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pumpkinbear
« on: April 27, 2005 07:47:56 AM »

I want to cross stitch this entire Super Mario Bros. scene:

Some super smarties posted how they substituted one x for one pixel when doing classic nintendo patterns, but I haven't seen anybody who's doing an entire screenshot yet. Is this because if they did, the finished product would be like 10 feet wide?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005 07:59:43 AM »

There are lots of cross-stitch programs out there that will take any graphic and convert it into a cross-stitch grid for you.  You can even play around with the dimensions of what you want the final piece to be, what the size and spacing of the stitches are, etc.

I wrote about this this on the blog once:
http://craftster.org/blog/index.php?p=33

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
pumpkinbear
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005 01:11:17 PM »

You're so smart! I'm sort of familiar with the pattern programs, but it seemed like the classic Nintendo patterns I've seen other craftsters post had a nice and easy one ex to one pixel ratio, which I think would not only be cool in a purist sort of way, but would also mean  I could maybe just grid my screenshot in Photoshop and use that as a pattern, but I am so unsavvy math-wise that maybe I just don't realize that this will result in a piece roughly 1,000 yards wide.

Did I mention I've never cross stitched anything before?

Crucial question: Classic Nintendo displays at 72 pixels per inch (I think). How big is a cross stitch ex?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PunkyGeek

Comfort the disturbed, Disturb the comfortable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005 02:17:13 PM »

Crucial question: Classic Nintendo displays at 72 pixels per inch (I think). How big is a cross stitch ex?

It depends on what fabric you use.  Most beginners start with 14, but you could try 28 to keep the finished product smaller.  It's been so long since I've cross stitched, but if I remember right 14 means 14 stitches (X's) per inch and 28 is 28 stitches per inch.  But now that I say it, I'm not sure.  It comes in many other sizes but those are the only ones I worked with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You will never be able to change the system until you learn to live in the system.
miss_katonic
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005 07:33:51 AM »

I can't offer any help, but just wanted to sauy that is an awesome idea! I would love to see the finished piece.  I  have been having major Nintendo nostaligia lately
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jiltanith
got nothin' (completed)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005 01:25:23 PM »

For further reference:

The 'count' of a cross stitch fabric is equivalent to how many squares per inch it has. A 14 count fabric has 14 squares to the inch, 28 lets you make 28 stitches to the inch or if you stitch 'over two'--having 1 stitch cover 4 squares--it's the same as 14-count.

If you're using this exact screenshot as your basis--this picture is 295 x 258 pixels. If you're going by a 1 pixel = 1 stitch correspondence, your finished project would be (approximately)

11-count: 27" x 23.5"
14-count: 21" x 18.5"
18-count: 16" x 14"
28-count over 1: 10.5" x 9"

For a novice stitcher, I'd try a kit or something like that that's on 14-count fabric first to see if you like stitching. 28-count over 1 may be hard to do for a novice. It's hard to prevent yourself from making too tight of a stitch (at least it was in my case.) I'd recommend doing it, if you need a smaller project, to do it on 18-count Aida.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Eat Art
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005 10:03:20 AM »

I'd say start with something small... cross stitching takes a lot of *time*

That's the mario chart I made and stitched the other night. Took about 5 hours just to do that little image. It's about 2" x 3"

You can download the pattern (chart) for free from my website, http://www.dadahaus.com/articles/crossstitch.php if you wanna try starting with something little. I think I'm also going to start selling a kit for a few bucks (pattern with instructions, fabric, and thread).

If you do decide to start with the whole screenshot, I'd reccomend finding some light blue aida fabric, instead of stitching all those light blue squares!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.dadahaus.com
Fun and Funky Jewelry, Crafting Tips, and more
http://www.indiecraftshows.com
Find indie craft shows in your area!
aeillill

blood hungry cannibalistic unfit family ties

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005 06:40:44 PM »

I'd say start with something small... cross stitching takes a lot of *time*

That's the mario chart I made and stitched the other night. Took about 5 hours just to do that little image. It's about 2" x 3"

You can download the pattern (chart) for free from my website, http://www.dadahaus.com/articles/crossstitch.php if you wanna try starting with something little. I think I'm also going to start selling a kit for a few bucks (pattern with instructions, fabric, and thread).

If you do decide to start with the whole screenshot, I'd reccomend finding some light blue aida fabric, instead of stitching all those light blue squares!

i love these little charts now I just need to come up with something to stitch them onto, little pillows would be cute...yes, little pillows....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laden autumn, here I stand
veedeepee
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005 02:07:43 PM »

This is funny, because I have been thinking for a while now that I would like to cross stitch a Super Mario Bros image (probably to put on a messenger bag or something of similar size).  I couldn't decide if I wanted to do a "full scene" or just make up a composition with mario & some of the other elements/characters:

I have this link, which has all the visual pieces from the game (mario, the turtles, the bricks & tubes, etc.):

http://www.thechaosrift.com/downloads/sheets/smb_sheet.gif

I think it would be fun to do napkins or tea towels or something with the turtles & mushrooms!

I also have a screen shot from the very beginning of the game that I've been thinking about cropping down.

Great minds think alike!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kukeit

crafting all the time now, mostly in my head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005 05:09:05 AM »

OH. MY. GOD. I have been searching and searching for mario pics and I just followed the above link.. I stared at it and my mouth dropped wide open...thank you !!!!! finally....!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everything passes
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Ponytail Braid
Great Hairstyle for When Bangs Are Growing Out
Get a 60s Beehive Ponytail
VF NEWS: Carmen Marc Valvo Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
VF COLLECTIONS: Paul Smith Spring/Summer 2015 - London Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...