A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 233
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 119748 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Casey1201
« Reply #1370 on: April 09, 2010 01:08:33 PM »

I am attempting to grow loofah this season too Smiley I am rather excited to incorporate it into my soaps, especially as I really want to attempt CP soap. Just have to figure out where to get lye for a decent price around here.

I came home from class yesterday to my boyfriend building me 2 raised beds in the backyard with our free lumber he drove to go pick up. How sweet! I cant wait to use them once I have some more sprouts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps!

http://pinterest.com/caseyyoder/
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1371 on: April 09, 2010 01:34:05 PM »

Loofah soap is so awesome!! You have to build a trellis around them so the fruit can grow upwards...it does take a while to dry them out and the seeds are a pain to remove but they are funny looking and the vines are beautiful!  I grow them with my hummingbird vines so they intertwine and it looks like I have cucumbers with red flowers! ha ha I had no idea lye was costly...

yay for your raised beds!  They are great for being able to weed easier, mulch, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1372 on: April 09, 2010 02:07:50 PM »

Casey--I can help ya find cheap lye!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
cat2007
« Reply #1373 on: April 09, 2010 02:55:29 PM »

@ alwaysinmyroom  since I'm not sure where your located I will suggest this:  try your local hardware store, or if you have a home depot or lowe's in your area.  I know Walmart use to carry it in their plumbing isle but not for sure if they still do, I still have about 1/1 a bottle of red devil lye I bought several yrs ago.  

[edited to remove content as I do not want to post information that would cause harm to anyone  Embarrassed ]

I have a disk of foxfire books that were published sometime back when I feel better I'll go through it and post the section on how our grandparents made it.. it's got detailed drawing IF I remember correctly.  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010 04:51:48 PM by cat2007 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Casey1201
« Reply #1374 on: April 09, 2010 03:00:45 PM »

cat2007 - that was me looking for lye Smiley Thanks for the tips! I just messaged MareMare as well as she said she could help me!

always- Thanks for the tips with loofah. How pretty your trellis muct look once its all bloomed! I have some in our shed so I will use that once they start getting to that height.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps!

http://pinterest.com/caseyyoder/
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1375 on: April 09, 2010 03:14:12 PM »

@ alwaysinmyroom  since I'm not sure where your located I will suggest this:  try your local hardware store, or if you have a home depot or lowe's in your area.  I know Walmart use to carry it in their plumbing isle but not for sure if they still do, I still have about 1/1 a bottle of red devil lye I bought several yrs ago.   

you could just make you own though If you care to take the time.  (this was in my soap making folder, don't know where it came from so to give credit... to someone on the internet.)
SOAP.
In the city, I believe, it is better to exchange ashes and grease for soap; but in the country, I am certain, it is
good economy to make one's own soap. If you burn wood, you can make your own lye; but the ashes of coal
is not worth much. Bore small holes in the bottom of a barrel, place four bricks around, and fill the barrel with
ashes. Wet the ashes well, but not enough to drop; let it soak thus three or four days; then pour a gallon of
water in every hour or two, for a day or more, and let it drop into a pail or tub beneath.

Please don't try to make your own lye for soapmaking. It is very unsafe and the end result is going to be iffy. Lye really isn't too expensive, you just have to find a good source. Unfortunately Red Devil is either hard to find or impossible to find, since the meth epidemic is so large, and lye is a component in meth, there are very less easy sources for lye now then there used to be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1376 on: April 09, 2010 03:41:29 PM »

I'm sure Cat meant well, but please, please, please please do not try to make your own lye. Not only is the process tricky and mildly dangerous, the final result is NOT equal to what cold-process soapmakers use. People used to make their own lye in the 18th and 19th century (heck, my grandmother was making it in the 1920's) but the process used to make soap was not the same that any of us soapmakers do on the B&B board, and in fact you'd be hard-pressed to find reliable instructions for using it.

I'm sending you a message right now, Casey1201, on finding lye. A lot of cities do not allow the sale of lye in hardware stores for the reason MareMare mentioned. Here in Centennial, we have that law. Also, a lot of lye brands at the hardware store are merely lye mixtures, and not pure lye. You always want to check the label to make sure it is 100% pure lye! (There is a green bottle, for instance that is 90% lye, and that won't work!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1377 on: April 09, 2010 11:18:21 PM »

I'm really amazed at reading about the loofahs! I thought they came from the ocean!
I do not see muself making soap. I may try doing some flavored bath/oil salts. We have some anise stars, if I can get them away from MOM! My plan was to simmer them in almond oil, and then add to the epsom salts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #1378 on: April 10, 2010 06:56:02 AM »

I would love to grow a loofah plant. You think they grow well in the Mid-South?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1379 on: April 10, 2010 02:41:38 PM »

whew! cleaning, cleaning, working on WIPs, and I did something really frugal today! Went to the craft fair, and only bought a couple things! Food yummy stuff( always worth it!!), and a leather belt for dh for our 3 year anniversary. Craft fairs just aren't the same for me since I discovered craftster! lol
there was a flee market across the hall, and I bought a big bag of used postal stamps from the 50s/60s, some old foreign correspondence. You know... Because I don't have enough stash in my basement! lol
I'm going to post a progress pic tomorrow of my craft area, I've tackled about 40% of it I think, and its starting to feel a lot more manageable. One day I will have to go back and organize all my fabric by color/theme, but for now, I am happy with neatly folded and on the shelf!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 233 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Overhand Cornrow
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Invert Cornrow
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Sectioning and Planning the Style
How to Cornrow Hair
Learn how to Style Your Hair for Prom - Modifying the Curly Look
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...