A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,517
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 233
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 123329 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1350 on: April 07, 2010 08:21:15 PM »

CraftyDeJa... I think if you first start by filling your car with donations, and taking them to the thrift, you could clear up some space.
Spend your $200.00 on clear plastic containers, of several stacking sizes. First decide where they will live. Do you need shelves?
Large clear zip-lock bags are invaluable, as well as the other sizes.
 The pro organizers say to sort, and then purchase the containers. The best buys I found, are at Big-Lots. Avoid any you can't see thru. Perhaps then you won't need the POD?
  Also, clear bags can be hung on hangers in a closet. I knew a dressmaker who kept all her fabrics on hangers, with plastic over them. Very neat, and easy to look thru.
  I hope this helps!  Good Luck!   If you live near me, I'd come and help for the freebies!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1351 on: April 07, 2010 09:23:01 PM »

CraftyDeJa... I think if you first start by filling your car with donations, and taking them to the thrift, you could clear up some space.
Spend your $200.00 on clear plastic containers, of several stacking sizes. First decide where they will live. Do you need shelves?
Large clear zip-lock bags are invaluable, as well as the other sizes.
 The pro organizers say to sort, and then purchase the containers. The best buys I found, are at Big-Lots. Avoid any you can't see thru. Perhaps then you won't need the POD?
  Also, clear bags can be hung on hangers in a closet. I knew a dressmaker who kept all her fabrics on hangers, with plastic over them. Very neat, and easy to look thru.
  I hope this helps!  Good Luck!   If you live near me, I'd come and help for the freebies!!!

Ooh I've never thought of looking for containers at Big Lots! Thanks for the idea, I mostly go in there around Christmas time for toys for my nephews and Christmas wrap and package decoration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1352 on: April 07, 2010 09:26:23 PM »

me neither!

How are you doing on organizing, maremare?...I need someone to commiserate with...I got one box sorted through...it is very discouraging...I did manage to clean out my huge iron kettle so I can do a planter...I am going to plant it with pansies for now until the last frost...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1353 on: April 07, 2010 09:30:20 PM »

I haven't done anything since what I posted on the thread...I worked on it for two nights and then lost my steam! Right now I am taking a break from quilting to get some more iced tea and check emails and stuff, then back to it. After I finish these projects that need to get in the mail I need to get back to more organizing. Looking at the shelf I have completed is pretty encouraging though. But looking at my recent fabric purchases still in bags on the floor, not as encouraging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #1354 on: April 07, 2010 09:34:29 PM »

yeah--I caved and got watercolors and paper today and they are still in bags on the floor...my order from my fabric club will be here any day and I have no place to put them...I did make up a plan to use up large fabrics first to get rid of them...and only buy one project at a time...I bought 10 yards of batting but mananged to roll it around the drapery tube and stick it in the corner...I need to move to clean up, I think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Casey1201
« Reply #1355 on: April 07, 2010 09:56:01 PM »

My fabric is all organized by color for the cottons on a bookself but I scored at joanns and they gave me 30 empty bolts so I am going to wrap my home Dec and flannel fabrics around those as they are in non clear tube right now.

I have basil seeds sprouting already which is exciting. And my guy is driving tomorrow to go pick up free lumber we found on craigslist to build my raised beds. Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps!

http://pinterest.com/caseyyoder/
CraftyDeJa
« Reply #1356 on: April 07, 2010 10:52:43 PM »

I hope this helps!  Good Luck!   If you live near me, I'd come and help for the freebies!!!

Thanks for the tips!!! Never thought of hanging fabric. I have "scraps" in baggies in a big container but still have to dig. Larger pieces are on bolts or in a very large suitcase. This system is not quite working for me. I need to see what I have. There is a comic store by the office for my business. I plan to go there for some of the cardboards I have seen a lot of people on craftster using. It is a work in progress. Clutter built up over the years (been in house 17 1/2 years) so I know it won't get where I want it to overnight. Samantha Stevens or Jeanie I am not (darn it). Oh, I do have some plastic bins but need to go through them. Some have items from old craft shows others from my first store that have never been cleaned out. The Big Lots I used to frequent closed. There is at least one more in town but I usually forget about it if I am not in that area.

Better go to sleep, I have a seminar tomorrow.  (Signed up last summer for one low price and can take as many as able throughout the year at no extra charge) Hard to get to many because you get no vacation days during the school year when you are a school employee and I hate to call in sick.

Until next time, DeJa
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010 11:02:41 PM by CraftyDeJa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only purpose of the day job is to buy the craft supplies!! Cheesy  Seriously, I LOVE making personalized crafts. I now have a line of hand-crafted fans and notecards using the Zentangle (R) technique. I have also become a Certified Zentangle Teacher and teach other artforms and techniques.
CraftyDeJa
« Reply #1357 on: April 07, 2010 10:57:37 PM »

My fabric is all organized by color for the cottons on a bookself but I scored at joanns and they gave me 30 empty bolts so I am going to wrap my home Dec and flannel fabrics around those as they are in non clear tube right now.
FABULOUS!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only purpose of the day job is to buy the craft supplies!! Cheesy  Seriously, I LOVE making personalized crafts. I now have a line of hand-crafted fans and notecards using the Zentangle (R) technique. I have also become a Certified Zentangle Teacher and teach other artforms and techniques.
cat2007
« Reply #1358 on: April 08, 2010 05:28:15 AM »

has anyone ever used those Space bags from the tv ad? you know the one where you can get 12 sweaters in one small bag?  when my children were babies I came across something similar at the $tree, what I purchased were 10x12 ins plastic, you put the folded clothes in and rolled out the air and it was airtight until you opened it.  I wanted some of the space bags as I lived in an apt with only two closet (for 9 yrs I did this-maybe that was why my spare room was cluttered so badly) but didn't have the spare money to spend on them so here what I did:

black trash bags (from dollar tree)
rubber bands (huge bag from dollar tree)
vacuum with hose attachment (used my euro pro shark)
homemade flip n fold (from cardboard box)

I took regular black trash bags put the clothes in them, put the hose between two of the garments, gathered up the opening of the bag into one hand and twisted a few times with hose still in it, turned on the vacuum and sucked the air out, then put the rubber band around the twisted part.  I kept enough of the plastic bag to make a loop  when I put the rubber band on to close it. 

I actually didn't think this would work but it did' I stored winter clothes in the bags under our beds, I did a cube of baby clothes that held up well (just put them stacked neatly in the middle of the trash bag on the seam -make the bag flat on the bottom seam).  when I moved I stored them at my mothers and they held up for 2 yrs until she got noisy and ripped into them 'looking' for one of her somethings'... which ticked me off as I had them staged in a corner away from any of her stuff....   I might have to revisit this idea. my closet is getting a bit cramped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #1359 on: April 08, 2010 06:41:35 AM »

I have the space bags and they tend to leak over time...I had one stored in a drawer of my platform bed and it "grew" to the point that I could not open the drawer!  We had to remove the mattress and the slats to get at it from above the drawer...real pain...I still use them but mostly to protect things from dust and dirt, not to save space...your trash bag idea sounds pretty good!

hmmm--I might try using the extra space bags to store those large pieces of fabric I have...they should not be in storage too long and if I store them in my craft closet and they "grow", no harm done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 233 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Nail Polish May Prevent Date Rape
18 Pimple Hacks You Need to Try
The Best Face Masks
NYX Curve Liner Review
How to Get an Emmys Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...