A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 233
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 131111 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lylacfey
« Reply #1110 on: March 25, 2010 08:46:38 PM »

I will be uploading pics of my craft room in a few minutes. DH is getting them for me now.

alwaysinmyroom- Do you have an old dresser or can snag one from Freecycle? That is the best way to store ephemera.

I use decorator boxes but that is not frugal at all but it's pretty. How I make it frugal is that my friends and family buy decorator boxes for me when they give me gifts. They know I collect them and use them. It's frugal for them too.

You can also decorate boxes but that can be time consuming especially in the midst of a decluttering.

Do any of you have Big Lots in your city? I saw the most beautiful library card shelf system the other day. It was made out of oak and cost about $80. I know gulp but it would last for a long time. If you are a rewards member you could buy it on your 20th $20 purchase and save an extra 20%. That's a lot of twenties, lol.  This is staying on topic. Smiley DH & I use Big Lots as one of our main stores and we save a lot of money.

Food dehydrator's- I just decluttered mine. We had a huge round one that took up so much room. DH & I decided if we do dehydrate we will make our own and it will store easier. Try making your own dehydrator over buying one.

I am going to get my pics organized of my craft room and upload them in a second.

What are we doing for next challenge. Is it WIP's or gardening?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
lylacfey
« Reply #1111 on: March 25, 2010 09:23:19 PM »

Ok, now I am really nervous about doing this because some of the craft room on this site are amazing. So be kind. Here's the efforts of all my hard work and tears. Smiley I am really happy with my room and quite proud of it. Final total dollars to organize this room was only $42. One for a new bookshelf and some new bead storage.

First the yarn & fiber closet:

Pretty much all my pics are self explanatory. I use the old comforters for quilt batting so there is a little frugal tip. The bottom part of our closet houses all our yarn, embroidery floss, fabric, DH's treadle and knitting machine. Top closet has all our sewing notions, accessories, my patterns and of course all our machines.

This is the second closet in our room. It houses all our extra tools, DH's bigger supplies and extra storage boxes.

My Mom bought me this dresser for my B-day one year. I store craft kits, journals and other misc tools inside. The glass holds our collection of crochet and knitting needles.

There it is the famous die cutters in all their glory. I do like them on the table because I can snag them fast. The two boxes beside the table holds all my punches. The three boxes under the table hold paper, of course the green basket holds paper. The other plastic box holds more misc tools.

Ok Whimsy girls are you ready? These two shelves are my collection of whimsies. I did use the bottom shelf on the wire stand for my manual die cutter's. The bottom shelf on the book case holds all my stamps. The rest of these shelves are whimsies, rubbons, sticker's beads, ephemera, etc...
The second wire shelf does hold my paint brushes, adhesives and jewelry tools.

I am very proud of this shelf. This is all my inks, paints, markers, color pencils. All of my coloring tools are on these shelves. Yes, each box is a category like calligraphy inks, alcohol based markers like my Copics, Prisma's, Sharpies, etc... Color pencils, you get the idea. Smiley

Finally last but definitely not least. The most important in my precious craft room are my most two precious. Regina and Nevil who help me craft.

That's it. I know phew! LOL. I hope you all enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boberry
« Reply #1112 on: March 25, 2010 09:45:44 PM »

Ok, now I am really nervous about doing this because some of the craft room on this site are amazing. So be kind. Here's the efforts of all my hard work and tears. Smiley I am really happy with my room and quite proud of it.

I think it looks great, well done!!  I love all your pretty storage boxes but I have to wonder if they are all labeled or not, I would never be able to keep it all straight without loads of labels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #1113 on: March 26, 2010 06:20:59 AM »

boberry- No, my boxes are not labeled. I have everything memorized in them. My friends like to come over and point boxes out to see if I guess right. Smiley Thank you for the sweet compliment.

I started Dining on a Dime cookbook. OMG THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING BOOK!!!! It's up there with Tightwad Gazette. I want a copy of this book. I ran to Amazon but it's still not in my "book buying" price range. Darn it.

It has food recipes, beauty, craft recipes, etc... My favorite the book is easy. No big complicated "It's supposed to be frugal recipes." or the worst it takes all day to prepare. Most frugal cookbooks I read it takes all day to prepare.

DH & I are empty nesters we like simple. Simple is good. Simple is fast. Simple food wise is usually expensive. Not this book. All the recipes sound so yummy. I am really excited about how this book is going to help our food budget.

It's helping to teach me all over again how to cook for a different family setting. Must read frugality book.

We should have a frugal cooking challenge. I am serious. It's one of the areas that many of us are having trouble in.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1114 on: March 26, 2010 06:40:41 AM »

Your craft room is wonderful and I am extremely impressed by how you have things organized! (also very jealous!!) Cheesy

I see what you mean about the decorative boxes...wow...I definitely see some ideas that can help me...I really like how you made use of bookcases!

But, the idea I like best is how you store your paper in the green handle bin underneath...I have mine in clear drawers but I keep having to open and close them to find what I want--your idea is simpler and more to my style!

You and your hubby are like me and my hubby--just the two of us trying to simplify our lives...and also keeping in touch with more natural and self-sufficient ways of living...I agree--I am no cook, so finding simple recipes is what I like about this thread...

one more thing:

I made the crockpot yogurt last night and....IT IS AWESOME!!!!
I used the skim milk and it still clumped up...I did use one cup of plain yogurt instead of the 1/2 cup...I know it is silly, but I took pics and I am probably going to post it in the cooking section tonight! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1115 on: March 26, 2010 07:21:16 AM »

We should have a frugal cooking challenge. I am serious. It's one of the areas that many of us are having trouble in.

I was going to suggest this for a summer challenge, seeing as that is when most of us will be pulling in the bounty of gardens.

I would also like to suggest a food preservation-setting aside for around August or September?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1116 on: March 26, 2010 08:12:54 PM »

Lylacfey, your room looks very nice and terrifically tidy, I also like the paper storage like that, so easy to see what you've got. Will you be able to keep it all like that for long?
Even when I do get my area looking organized it only lasts for a few moments. Every project I do ends up in a craftastrophe. I am not organized about how I use things. And I couldn't easily have my machines on a shelf in the closet, I utilize them so much. At best I might put them on the floor under their table for a bit so I can use the surface for something else but they can never be too far away!
If only I had another room for my desk, printer, files etc. They sure don't make this space work any better Tongue I wish I could put them in the main part of the house but the baby can NOT be trusted around anything important. She is a destructive little things like her brother never was. She's so sweet and cute and darling, you'd never suspect what a holy rolling terror she can be!

Oh well, the month is coming to a close and I have not gotten a ton of organizing done but I have done a bunch of shedding and now must decide what to do with all the things I no longer want. Yard sale (pain in the butt), donate, use for crafts (like I need more supplies!)...? In the mean time I'll be trying that yogurt recipe (thanks again!) and making some pickles. And I'd love a WIP theme to help motivate me, I have to get rid of this pile of ufo's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1117 on: March 26, 2010 08:54:21 PM »

Back in town.  Have a bajillion pages on a bajillion threads to catch up on reading this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
lylacfey
« Reply #1118 on: March 27, 2010 05:44:32 AM »

alwaysinmyroom- Thank you so much for the sweet compliments. I know what you mean about storing your paper in drawers. It just does not work. You don't feel like pawing through the drawer for one piece of paper.

I put all my paper in different scrapbook envelopes. It's all categorized such as animals, flowers, geometric prints, music, etc... Specialty paper like Bazzill, metallics, glitter got their own envies too.

craftylittlemonkey- Your angel is a darling. I can't imagine how she could be a terror. Wink She is a real cutie.

I honestly do have OCD so yes my room stays that nice and tidy. I can not be messy if I tried.

I need to take a picture of my desk in the living room. I do have craft supplies at my desk. It is my most used tools. I have my BossKut gazelle underneath there. If I use it daily or least twice a week it went to the living room.

Aiki- I am glad your back. I hope you had a good trip.

How I was frugal today? I went to two craft stores and spent a $1. I was so proud of myself. My $1 item was a Fiskars template that was originally $10.

I realized tonight that I am glad for a well stocked room. It is frugal. I hear all the time from other customer's in craft store how expensive everything is when they buy it all upfront. I think that deters a lot of people from crafting. It is expensive. I realized building up my craft room like I did was one of my most frugal investments ever.

Tonight I also realized that I am making more of my own crafting items and I love it. That doing swaps has been very frugal for me because it teaches me new skills.

I was going to buy a punch but I learned how to use some advanced tools in my BossKut Gazelle that I am making my own border punches. I made a stunning horse border.

We did go out to eat. Darn it! Ugh! It's my DH's B-day weekend. I have been having bad asthma attacks after eating dinner out. Because of this we will not be eating out any more. I really don't know why I am having these attacks.

I did implement some of Dining on the Dime's principals when I was out shopping. I didn't buy in bulk a lot of meats or other things. I always bought in bulk when my DS was around. Since he moved out I can't even tell you how wasteful and how much this cost us. I do still stock up on things DH & I eat a lot of like rice. Instead of buying two packages of polish sausages I only bought one. I only bought one box of Saltine's instead of two. This really saved us a lot of money.

Since my DS has moved out DH & I have been buying a lot of boxed item. Ok, I admitted it. LOL. Tonight I did not buy one even though they were a good deal. It does not take us any more time to cook up some rice and add flavorings than buying a box of rice mix.

I am really going to follow Dining On  A Dime pantry list and reflect it to our own home with some minor changes.

My DH is really excited about this Dining on a Dime cookbook too. It's just the perfect book for us.

I also bought smaller pet care items. I have a bad habit of stocking up on those and then I worry about them going stale.

Yes, my biggest problem is that I overstock. I think I did a pretty decent job tonight of weighing what are our most used items to what lasts us so long overstocking is a waste of money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 27, 2010 06:12:03 AM »

Lylacfey, your asthma attacks may be what's being added to the food when they cook it.  I had this happen once and found out that they were using MSG in everything they cooked.  You might want to call the restaurants and ask them.  If they are all using pre-packaged supplies, it's probably an additive that's bothering you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 233 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Alternative Realities in Fiction
A Visit with Joyce Carol Oates
Daniel Mendelsohn Discusses Mary Renault
Office Hours with George Saunders
William Deresiewicz on Breaking Out of the Educated Flock
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...