A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
360 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 217
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 207513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EKO

http://ekoscraftylife.blogspot.com/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1060 on: March 25, 2010 12:46:36 PM »

i have some in my crock right now!  it should cost me a little more than a dollar (can) per litre to make, cant wait untill 10 tonight to try some!

I bought my supplies at lunch to make crockpot yogurt--I bought plain yogurt to start $1.99 for a big thing of plain...I quart milk $.92....I did buy skim milk because I don't care if the yogurt is a bit runny as I plan on using it to make fruit smoothies anyway...My calculations have it that the homemade yogurt will be about half of the cheapest plain I can find!!  That is great considering how much I use in the spring and summer! I plan on using my own strawberries and raspberries, honey and fresh mint so pretty great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit me at my blog
http://ekoscraftylife.blogspot.com/

Current swaps
sss23- all sent and all received.
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 25, 2010 12:50:26 PM »

I have an old water crock that I use for making pickles.  I can make a batch in 24 hours, usually about five pints.

I'm looking forward to my garden this year, because last year we grew lemon cucumbers and I made the greatest sweet pickles out of them.  I'm growing more this year, but this time I'm going to harvest seeds as well.

I don't have a library file, but I do have an apothecary in my WIP's that I'm hoping to finish this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 122 done

Just married...after 22 years of unwedded bliss.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1062 on: March 25, 2010 12:54:53 PM »

I just checked it out, too!!  I think that might just make a perfect gift for hubby's birthday present in May--he loves to pickle jalapaneos and cherry peppers in the summer!

Thanks for the info!

I make kimchi the traditional way--bury it in the ground! ha ha not sure if hubby will let me do it inside even with the Perfect pickler!

lemon cucumbers sound divine! You are so lucky to have those huge raised beds you made, pinokeeo!  Can't wait to see what all you put in there this year---dinner at pinokeeo's this summer, everyone!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 25, 2010 01:02:18 PM »

lemon cucumbers sound divine! You are so lucky to have those huge raised beds you made, pinokeeo!  Can't wait to see what all you put in there this year---dinner at pinokeeo's this summer, everyone!! Cheesy

Especially if you like lots of fresh veggies.  Bring your own plate. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 122 done

Just married...after 22 years of unwedded bliss.
cat2007
« Reply #1064 on: March 25, 2010 02:09:18 PM »

I've been known to put a tray of fruit in the back window of my car and let it dry on s sunny day.  I use my grandmas recipe for drying apples using this method.
since I don't own a food dehydrator, I read about using the back window in your vehicle.  I've had success with the above mentioned apples (a baking sheet, cookie cooling rack, thin sliced apples) I left it in from 8 am to dark (removed it at night and put back after I got back from taking my dd to school) until they were dried.  and the car smelled great. anyway, I think the next time I'll prop up my reflective sunscreen to make it even quicker. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010 02:17:06 PM by cat2007 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #1065 on: March 25, 2010 08:46:38 PM »

I will be uploading pics of my craft room in a few minutes. DH is getting them for me now.

alwaysinmyroom- Do you have an old dresser or can snag one from Freecycle? That is the best way to store ephemera.

I use decorator boxes but that is not frugal at all but it's pretty. How I make it frugal is that my friends and family buy decorator boxes for me when they give me gifts. They know I collect them and use them. It's frugal for them too.

You can also decorate boxes but that can be time consuming especially in the midst of a decluttering.

Do any of you have Big Lots in your city? I saw the most beautiful library card shelf system the other day. It was made out of oak and cost about $80. I know gulp but it would last for a long time. If you are a rewards member you could buy it on your 20th $20 purchase and save an extra 20%. That's a lot of twenties, lol.  This is staying on topic. Smiley DH & I use Big Lots as one of our main stores and we save a lot of money.

Food dehydrator's- I just decluttered mine. We had a huge round one that took up so much room. DH & I decided if we do dehydrate we will make our own and it will store easier. Try making your own dehydrator over buying one.

I am going to get my pics organized of my craft room and upload them in a second.

What are we doing for next challenge. Is it WIP's or gardening?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/faerydreams/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
lylacfey
« Reply #1066 on: March 25, 2010 09:23:19 PM »

Ok, now I am really nervous about doing this because some of the craft room on this site are amazing. So be kind. Here's the efforts of all my hard work and tears. Smiley I am really happy with my room and quite proud of it. Final total dollars to organize this room was only $42. One for a new bookshelf and some new bead storage.

First the yarn & fiber closet:

Pretty much all my pics are self explanatory. I use the old comforters for quilt batting so there is a little frugal tip. The bottom part of our closet houses all our yarn, embroidery floss, fabric, DH's treadle and knitting machine. Top closet has all our sewing notions, accessories, my patterns and of course all our machines.

This is the second closet in our room. It houses all our extra tools, DH's bigger supplies and extra storage boxes.

My Mom bought me this dresser for my B-day one year. I store craft kits, journals and other misc tools inside. The glass holds our collection of crochet and knitting needles.

There it is the famous die cutters in all their glory. I do like them on the table because I can snag them fast. The two boxes beside the table holds all my punches. The three boxes under the table hold paper, of course the green basket holds paper. The other plastic box holds more misc tools.

Ok Whimsy girls are you ready? These two shelves are my collection of whimsies. I did use the bottom shelf on the wire stand for my manual die cutter's. The bottom shelf on the book case holds all my stamps. The rest of these shelves are whimsies, rubbons, sticker's beads, ephemera, etc...
The second wire shelf does hold my paint brushes, adhesives and jewelry tools.

I am very proud of this shelf. This is all my inks, paints, markers, color pencils. All of my coloring tools are on these shelves. Yes, each box is a category like calligraphy inks, alcohol based markers like my Copics, Prisma's, Sharpies, etc... Color pencils, you get the idea. Smiley

Finally last but definitely not least. The most important in my precious craft room are my most two precious. Regina and Nevil who help me craft.

That's it. I know phew! LOL. I hope you all enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boberry
« Reply #1067 on: March 25, 2010 09:45:44 PM »

Ok, now I am really nervous about doing this because some of the craft room on this site are amazing. So be kind. Here's the efforts of all my hard work and tears. Smiley I am really happy with my room and quite proud of it.

I think it looks great, well done!!  I love all your pretty storage boxes but I have to wonder if they are all labeled or not, I would never be able to keep it all straight without loads of labels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #1068 on: March 26, 2010 06:20:59 AM »

boberry- No, my boxes are not labeled. I have everything memorized in them. My friends like to come over and point boxes out to see if I guess right. Smiley Thank you for the sweet compliment.

I started Dining on a Dime cookbook. OMG THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING BOOK!!!! It's up there with Tightwad Gazette. I want a copy of this book. I ran to Amazon but it's still not in my "book buying" price range. Darn it.

It has food recipes, beauty, craft recipes, etc... My favorite the book is easy. No big complicated "It's supposed to be frugal recipes." or the worst it takes all day to prepare. Most frugal cookbooks I read it takes all day to prepare.

DH & I are empty nesters we like simple. Simple is good. Simple is fast. Simple food wise is usually expensive. Not this book. All the recipes sound so yummy. I am really excited about how this book is going to help our food budget.

It's helping to teach me all over again how to cook for a different family setting. Must read frugality book.

We should have a frugal cooking challenge. I am serious. It's one of the areas that many of us are having trouble in.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1069 on: March 26, 2010 06:40:41 AM »

Your craft room is wonderful and I am extremely impressed by how you have things organized! (also very jealous!!) Cheesy

I see what you mean about the decorative boxes...wow...I definitely see some ideas that can help me...I really like how you made use of bookcases!

But, the idea I like best is how you store your paper in the green handle bin underneath...I have mine in clear drawers but I keep having to open and close them to find what I want--your idea is simpler and more to my style!

You and your hubby are like me and my hubby--just the two of us trying to simplify our lives...and also keeping in touch with more natural and self-sufficient ways of living...I agree--I am no cook, so finding simple recipes is what I like about this thread...

one more thing:

I made the crockpot yogurt last night and....IT IS AWESOME!!!!
I used the skim milk and it still clumped up...I did use one cup of plain yogurt instead of the 1/2 cup...I know it is silly, but I took pics and I am probably going to post it in the cooking section tonight! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 217 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Kitty Floss Holders
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: DIY Dryer Sheets
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Cozies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...