A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,360
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 233
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 146407 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2010 02:36:57 PM »

Okay, on the husband note. I'm not married, haven't even been with Mr. Taco that long. I guess we've been living together about two years. We only knew each other a couple of months when I moved it. If any one EVER tells me that this is going to wear off I'm going to smack them. That is so totally mean.

On a frugal note, I made my own granola bars using a recipe from the cooking sections. So very yummy and pretty easy. Mine had almonds, raisins, and chocolate chips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2010 03:24:48 PM »

Sorry for the double post, but I just found something that I thought might fit in here.  A recipe for making your own cough drops.  This comes from Mother Earth News.

Homemade Herbal Cough Drops
Powdered herbs
1 cup sugar, or honey
1/3 cup light corn syrup, or honey
1 1/2 cups water
Powdered sugar, for easy handling
1. Steep your preferred soothing herbs in 1 1/2 cups of water to make a tea.
2. Mix sugar and corn syrup with tea. Cook over low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture boils.
3. Continue boiling without stirring until the mixture begins to crystallize; reduce heat. Wash away crystals from the side of your pan with a damp cloth.
4. Remove from the heat after a few minutes. Drop some of the mixture from the tip of a spoon onto a greased surface. Allow to harden and cool completely before removing. Roll the candies in powdered sugar and wrap in waxed paper for storage.

Very cool! Do you know what kind of herbs would be good soothing ones? I'm not very herb savvy (unless it's skin related lol)

I would think that you should use your own taste, but to start with maybe some chamomile, mint and lemongrass, since your making a tea base.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 62 done
itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2010 03:28:31 PM »

Ooh, homemade granola.  I really should make some because I'm a sucker for yogurt and granola in the morning. Smiley

Pinokeeo - your home sounds just wonderful!  I'd love to grow my own food, have some forested acreage and compost everything.  Hubby is sadly not so into that and neither is our weather!  I keep ending up pregnant or with a small baby during the summer so I've not started a garden either.  I'm looking forward to when my kids are a bit older and can help out with one.  I don't really want to stop having babies, but I know there will be things I can do when I'm done that I have a hard time doing now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2010 03:37:18 PM »

I hate when people get down on their spouse and think it's funny. Or that joking and calling them the old ball and chain or the battleaxe or whatever is funny. Anyway. I love my husband.

I agree on this and I don't find it funny either. My job asked me to stay late the other day and I told her sure, but I had to call my husband first. I could not get ahold of him, but he called me on an unrelated subject. When I finished my rather quick call, my boss asked if I was 'in trouble'. I stood there dumbfounded for a second or two before I realized that she was really asking me, a grown woman, if my husband would be upset if I did not come running home to take care of him.

Martha Stewart probably buy organic, imported micro-grown, limited quantity heirloom beans for $17.99 per pound or something.

No, but it is cool that people have done that so we can have more than seven or eight varieties of beans being grown in the world. So... Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul
Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2010 03:40:55 PM »

My hubby and I got engaged after four months, so we get that a lot too "oh, but you're newlyweds, wait til you've been together 20 years."  i do kind of want to punch them in the nose when they say that - what is it, you WANT me to not adore my husband?  and yeah, i'll be invited to something and sometimes i'll go but other times i may say 'no, thanks, i havent had much time with matt lately' and people are stunned, like its shocking that i could genuinely enjoy spending time with my husband!

i mean, im not of the 100% of people should stay married since after all it takes 2 to make a marriage work, but it bothers me that people in general just seem to think its not possible to stay with someone or love someone for the rest of your life.  i dont always like my husband very much and i certainly have time im not "in love" with him, but to me the beauty of marriage is that it makes me stick around and when i cycle back into being in love with him (which can last awhile, but usually happens quite quickly! lol), im so happy i stayed!  

i think love thats between two committed, consenting adults is a GOOD thing.  why would anyone want to exclude people from it or assume the worst?  my friends were shocked when i got engaged because id always been so commitment-phobic before.  i always replied that well, that pretty much made my case that i knew i wanted to be with mr. gypsy!

speaking of, he got me more of the small, clear boxes today for organizing my craft room!  i did recycle paper to label everything and ive also used A LOT of recycled canisters and such - everything from little almond cans to his big plastic coffee containers.  i sometimes hesitate to consider myself a REAL crafter - i mostly dabble in a lot of different types rather than make really awesome stuff in one or two areas; it does mean i have a wiiiiiide variety of supplies that don't at all go together, so it requires a lot of separation to keep track of it all.

this is kind of random, but for anyone who uses or knows people that use cloth diapers, you should check out www.miraclediapers.org - its a small non-profit that provides low-income families with supplies for cloth diapering.  They also take donations (obviously of money!) but also of fabric, cloth diaper covers, diapers notions, wipes, etc. that maybe some of you have (they accept used as long as they dont have to be repaired) or could send!  One of my very best friends is the executive director and its truly a labor of love for her and i figured it aligns obviously quite nicely with this craftalong!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2010 03:53:22 PM »

If I can get my backside in gear today I think I might bake some no-knead bread and make lentil soup for supper.  Oh, here's a question for everyone: of those of you who make bread on a regular basis and very seldom buy it, how many of you have bread machines?  I definitely get the feeling that most people I know who make it all the time have a machine.  My biggest reason for not doing it more often is kneading it.  And no-knead bread is so sticky and dense that I only really make it to go with lentil soup.  

We have a bread machine and it's used every other day at least, we make all our own bread/pizza dough/specialty breads like Foccaccia, it's so nice to be able to just throw all the ingredients in and push a few buttons and 3.5 hrs later, the house is full of the gorgeous smell of fresh bread and my tummy is full of hot buttered bread!!
Even with a 6 month old I still manage to bake bread using the bread machine, I just do it whilst I'm waiting for his breakfast to heat up/cool down. We have a Black & Decker bread machine which is so sturdy it's even been dropped and continued working immediately afterwards... oops that'll be my clumsy streak again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2010 04:09:51 PM »

We also have a bread machine, but we bake the bread in the oven after the breadmaker has done all the work.  One of my few concessions to modern conveniences.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 62 done
itchyfingers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2010 05:03:16 PM »

We also have a bread machine, but we bake the bread in the oven after the breadmaker has done all the work.  One of my few concessions to modern conveniences.

That's what my sister-in-law does, too..although I think it's been ages since she baked bread. Smiley  Babies have been keeping her too busy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
kaz814
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2010 05:34:07 PM »

I make bread occasionally (I'm not really a bread person, I've discovered), but when I do, I either make beer bread (so easy and so yummy) or the 'Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day' bread.  I need to reread that book, but next time I'm making some, I'll put 3/4 of the dough in the freezer - I ended up giving much of it away because I couldn't eat it quickly enough!  Regardless, it's a good book, if anyone can get it at their library.

And to whomever was having lentil soup for dinner - I had it too!  (Well, lentils and barley and garbanzo beans and veggies - yum!) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itchyfingers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2010 05:54:58 PM »

And to whomever was having lentil soup for dinner - I had it too!  (Well, lentils and barley and garbanzo beans and veggies - yum!) 

Well, we were going to have it for supper..but I had some bad news this afternoon from a friend and didn't feel up to baking bread.  I made baked tilapia, mashed potatoes and vegetarian gravy and green and yellow beans with carrots.  Which may have been nearly as much work..but whatever.  I'll get to it soon enough. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 233 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF COLLECTIONS: Moschino - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
FIRST LOOK: Just Cavalli - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week
Let This Emma Stone Makeup Tutorial Take You Into Spring
How to Look Red Carpet Ready Wherever You Go
Watch Kandee Johnson Transform Into Charli XCX in 30 Seconds
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...