A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 233
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 119849 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2010 05:41:36 PM »

Washing soda is not the same as baking soda, but I believe Arm and Hammer does make some. It's usually in the laundry aisle near the Borax and Fels Naptha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Lylanni
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2010 05:42:36 PM »

Just made my first frugal project for myself this year.  A triple batch of laundry soap!! I should be good for a few months lol!  I want to make my own dishwasher detergent too, but I have to find somewhere to get citric acid.  Maybe next month when budget allows Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2010 06:07:10 PM »

I'd love to know what the best homemade laundry soap recipe is as far as low cost, long lasting and effective goes.  I've been buying the eco-friendly kinds that Wal Mart carries but I'm guessing I could do even better making my own.  Also, anyone in Canada make detergent?  Seems all too often when I ask for recipes, I can't get half the stuff because it's in the UK or the US.  I'm willing to hunt for ingredients but not sure if I can get certain things here (not just Canada, but a relatively small town).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2010 06:12:21 PM »

Mine is just soap, washing soda, and borax I think. And you know, water.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lylanni
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2010 06:24:00 PM »

That's all mine is too MareMare.  I got my recipe from http://diynatural.com/simple-easy-fast-effective-jabs-homemade-laundry-detergent/

The way he breaks it down is this...
    * Arm & Hammer® liquid 100 ounce detergent – $6.79 – 32 loads = $0.21 per load
    * Tide® with Bleach powder 267 ounce detergent – $20.32 – 95 loads = $0.21 per load
    * Jabs Homemade powder 32 ounce detergent – $2.98 – 64 loads = $0.05 per load

(Jab's being the recipe I used)  Of course, depending on the soap you use, your price will vary and the pricing of the borax and washing soda.  For mine, I had to use a little more expensive soap because hubby is allergic to Ivory.  It cost me a grand total of $5.50 to make three batches of soap.  I'm not sure how long it will last or how much per load it will be, but you only need a tablespoon per load, so I'm guessin it'll last quite some time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itchyfingers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2010 06:29:49 PM »

Hehe..now I want to run down to Safeway just to see if I can get any of this stuff!  There are tons of old colony Mennonites up here..maybe they use Borax and washing soda..?
I've gone out three nights in a row now to shop/return things and I had decided not to go out again tonight..but I may have changed my mind. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
Lylanni
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2010 06:35:38 PM »

Ya it takes a ridiculously short amount of time to make too.  I thought it would be time consuming, but the longest part was grating the soap.  $4 of my total was in the soap I bought...So you could make it loads cheaper than I did.  The washing soda only cost me 2.89 and the Borax 4.29 (at Krogers).  The good news about those two things are...I only used a cup and a half out of each box and the soda is a 55 oz box while the borax is a 76 oz box.  So there is plenty left over for other projects, cleaning or more soap when I run out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2010 07:12:07 PM »

Yep, I can make several batches out of one box of each. I also buy Borax and other things like that from other soapers at soap maker's get togethers, we usually have a yard sale table! I have several large packages of Borax I paid $.25 for! I don't care for dry detergent though, I make mine into gel. I know some people said that it was too thick for them, but we only wash in cold water and I can't shake the feeling (probably unfounded) that not all of the powder will dissolve. After it's set up if it's still too thick I just keep adding water until it stays pourable after a day or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargardener
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2010 09:20:40 PM »

love this!!!!  We have been budgeting and being frugal for about 1 and 1/2 years. I love it...sure I miss TV and things but I get a lot more done! LOL! 

I am going to try to make some soap...we will see, do you know if you can add a little sent, maybe a essential oil or something.Huh

My hubby made me a cutting table from an old door set on some wood. I covered it in a vinyl table cloth on one side and fabric on the other.  The handle hole makes a nice place to run cords for my iron and things.  I stapled a tape measure along the front too.  It is awesome and he enjoyed making it for me...super simple!

Grin Cheesy :Dthanks for starting this!  Grin Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itchyfingers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2010 09:47:20 PM »

stargardener - I love that door idea!  I'm dreaming of a craft studio someday..or at least an actual craft room and that would be a great way to make a table that wouldn't cost a fortune!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 233 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Profile: Carolyn Oberst
Supervillain Origins: The Penguin
Crossing the Line Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Monkey Puzzle Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Paintings on Paper by Carolyn Oberst
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...