A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 233
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 114096 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: February 19, 2010 08:52:31 PM »

Oh, Aiki, I LOVE it!!  That is hilarious! Cheesy  I love stuff like that - as kids, we used to sing Amazing Grace to just about every tune we could think of (try it to the theme from Gilligan's Island)...I know, not quite the same kind of music but I think that's why I appreciate stuff like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
pops

this kittens' nose demands kisses...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #591 on: February 20, 2010 02:07:49 AM »

oh i'm listening now!!! it so rocks Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #592 on: February 20, 2010 05:15:12 AM »

Itchyfingers- Big Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment. I am sending big hugs too. Smiley

Bit of a stressful day here. I am worn out. Nothing bad or big happened it just was stressful, lol. My Mom was in one of her complaining and the world hates her moods and it wore me down especially after hearing my friends do the same.

Oh my gosh I almost fell over when I heard Craftster had been sold. I actually panicked. The new owners (Welcome to you all if your reading this) said they are not going to change things too much. They also bought SplitCoastStampers. Wow!

Today was pretty frugal. Shopped at the Dollar Tree and killed half my shopping list. I heart Dollar Trees.

Went to Michael's to finish buying the last of my Memento Inks. Now I own the whole collection. I keep admiring them, lol.

Came home watched Terminator Salvation. We got it from the library.

Then I made some carpet deodorizer, updated my Zune with Lady GaGa songs, lol. Transferred a lot of music over from my DH's hard drive to mine. When my computer crashed I almost lost all of my Robbie Wiliams and Sarah Brightman songs. Each of those total in the hundreds for songs. I have all of their work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
EnginerdLisa
« Reply #593 on: February 20, 2010 06:01:33 AM »

I think I'm going to try to pick up Dave Ramsey's book.  Some of the people at work are taking a course through their church, so between that and all the wonderful things you all say I may just look into it. 

Does anyone have any good frugal dieting tips?  I really need to loose some weight, I'm about 50lbs above where I need to be.  I'm ready to get serious about it, but it always seems like I spend more on groceries when I am dieting.  I usually resort to packaged food and frozen dinners since they are labeled with all of the nutrition info and broken into the right portion size.  It seems to take me forever and be so much work to figure out the calories in things that I make myself.  So, I'm looking for ideas for frugal low cal meals, and good ways to figure out and keep track of the calories in homemade dishes.  All of my good frugal dishes seem really high calorie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penny: Oh, wow! A girl scientist!
Leslie Winkle: Yup. Come for the breasts. Stay for the brains.

My Blog (which I suck at keeping up with): Living Lisa
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: February 20, 2010 07:01:50 AM »

Did Craftster get sold again or just that one time that Leah sold it? That was ages ago...

As for dieting, I think a great step is to work towards changing our attitude about food with life-long effects. There are two books I think help more than anything to do this, one is called the China Study (incredible!) and the other is called In Defense Of Food (basic philopsophy: eat food, not too much, mostly vegetables). Dieting is all well and good but it's something that we "do" instead of a way that we are. That makes it hard to keep up with and IMHO more often than not unsuccessful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #595 on: February 20, 2010 07:18:58 AM »

I've just got to share the big, huge, exciting news in my world.  My daughter got into a choice school, which is an off shoot of our public schools here.  They teach in a very hands on, projects based way and when you learn math they show you why you need to know it.  The math teacher says he does this so he never gets the "When am I ever going to use this in real life?" question and attitude.  It's a private school education for $200 per year.  They require the $200 because they don't do fund raising, so no cookie or magazine sales.  

The public junior high my daughter would have been going to has 1200 kids in it and only the 9th graders get lockers because that's all they have lockers for.  So the kids have to tote all of their books, supplies and their lunches all day.  Or even worse, they buy their lunches a la cart. One of my friends spends $80 per month on lunch for each of her kids.

The choice school DD got into has 90 kids and they get their own lockers.  That means, without a doubt, she'll continue taking her lunch to school every day.  I'm over the moon excited for her.  

Aiki, I added that CD to my birthday wish list.  I'm loving it.  Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010 07:20:12 AM by Disco Queen Highness » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #596 on: February 20, 2010 08:08:52 AM »

Oh, WOW!!! SQUEEEEEEE!!!  That is sooooooo wonderful!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: February 20, 2010 09:20:56 AM »

Wow, that is amazing news! Where is this school? I am hating public school with a passion but can't seem to make it work out with my little dude to homeschool without daily tears and endless frustration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
pinokeeo

This is a new twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: February 20, 2010 09:23:41 AM »

I think the best recipe book that I have come across for "dieting" is a diabetic cookbook.  It lists all of the ingredients, nutrition information, and how to use generic foods instead of name brands. I don't remember the name of it, but I got it at the public library awhile back, and just copied down the recipes that I wanted to keep.  I find that diabetic cookbooks in general are better for nutrition information.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--1/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
This may not happen, since I have had major surgery on my shoulder.
playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: February 20, 2010 10:01:30 AM »

for some people, I know it is easier to look at numbers of portions and portion sizes rather than counting calories. And probably the most frugal (and healthy!) is to eat whole foods (and drink plenty of water). Not always convenient, however, because it takes a bit of planning and time to cook!

I also know, from other people and from my own experience, when some people try to lose weight or focus on "dieting" they think about food all the time - I did (and I thought I needed to buy special "diet" food). The only time in my life when I "tried" to lose weight, I actually gained it because I was so preoccupied with food! Only when I started focusing on eating/being healthier, then the weight came off. Without much effort.

If you don't want to measure out things, you can use your hand - a serving of meat/soy protein is the size of your palm. If you eat cheese (or nuts), a serving is the size of your thumb. A serving of fruit, is usually one piece. But rather than eating one melon, pineapple, etc - 1 serving can fit into one of your cupped hands (1/2 cup). A serving of vegetables is also 1/2 C, unless you are eating greens, then it is two cupped handfuls (1 cup). Legumes - 1 C. Grains=1/2 C. A serving of oil=1T. When you look at it this way, getting nine servings of veggies/fruits is not hard at all!

And I know what I'm going to say next is controversial, but I think many people are healthier and at their healthy weight, and have more energy and feel better when they do not eat dairy (especially) or gluten (or even all grains). It is possible to cut both of these out of your diet and get all the nutrients you need if you just stay aware of what you are eating. You cannot say that about cutting out vegetables, fruits and protein. And good fats. Fats are good!

I think the absolute best book on nutrition and healthy eating is "Eat, Drink and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating," by Walter C. Willett, MD. It talks about food pyramids, dietary myths, healthy weight, eating fat, eating carbs, healthy protein, fruits and veggies, beverages, calcium, taking supplements. And has recipes and menus. It is a FABULOUS book. It's paperback, $15 new. Some libraries may carry it (hopefully!). If you'd like more info, PM me.

I'm not a nutritionist or dietician (I'm an acupuncturist), but have studied nutrition and its been a "hobby" of mine for about 20 years. Sorry for the soapbox, I get really excited about food and nutrition. And sad when I see so many people in our country sick from making poor food choices  Embarrassed

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 233 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Modern Horror: Mockumentary
How to Look Good on a TV Interview
Creating the Ideal Recording Environment
Watch, Pass, or Rent: The American & Going the Distance
Screenwriting Card Trick
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...