A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,292
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 233
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 139727 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

icebyrd67
hello beautiful world!

Where is the pony doctor?!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2230 on: June 18, 2010 02:41:48 PM »

well, you can't use it if its an ice cube.  lol.  and if its a think enough ice cube, you can't even read the numbers so you can't be tempted to buy things online!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn all about me? http://icebyrd67.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/icebyrd67

looking for personal swaps - i need decorative table numbers for my wedding. want to have a place in my wedding? More details in my profile. PM me!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2231 on: June 18, 2010 03:29:55 PM »

I would cancel it, you might still be tempted to use it, and it will be on your credit report that you have it open. Besides, if you call to cancel it they might give you an incentive to to keep it. It would have to be pretty good, that's a crazy high interest. When I was younger and had too many credit cards I cut them all up but didn't cancel them...then when I was in Old Navy or Meier and Frank or something (I had them all) one day I said something about it and they looked up the card number for me and I started using the charge accounts again without even having the card. So I say cancel lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
pantsafari
« Reply #2232 on: June 18, 2010 05:20:01 PM »

In the April/May issue of ReadyMade magazine there was a cute project to "guard your cards" . Basically you sew your credit card into a little fabric pouch. (rectangle of fabric, fold over, put in credit card, sew 3 sides shut) The one in the magazine was embroidered with "clothing is not an emergency".   So you have to cut your credit card out to use it. I thought it was a cute idea, but I havent done it yet!  Im trying to find a link but its not on their website.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2233 on: June 18, 2010 05:25:19 PM »

The photo techs throw away all of those little film canisters.  Literally just throw them away.  no recycling, nothing.  I used to keep them and take them home for projects and stuff.  

I hope I'm wrong about this but someone told me those are very chemically and shouldn't be used for anything else, not even if washed. Does anyone know anything else about that?

Groovy quilt! Very nice.

Freezing the credit card, not a bad option. Cutting it up and cancelling it is better though. What a crazy deal that you can be charged a fee for that! Can't happen in Canada. I thought there was some kind of credit card reform happening since your financial melt down? Should be, people cancelling credit is a good thing in these times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
pantsafari
« Reply #2234 on: June 18, 2010 05:47:42 PM »

Hey Im actually getting a frugal friday project in! Heres pictures of my crafted Wedding guest book.

The album itself is purchased, but this is what it looks like.

and here are two pictures of pages on the inside that I made.

I wanted guests to be able to write a message or whatever instead of only having space to sign their name.
all of the supplies cost me $11. and I will end up with extra paper and stuff that I can use for other wedding crafts. My mom said that the only guest books she could find were about 10$ and they were either really ugly or just boring.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010 05:49:26 PM by pantsafari » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
LaughingLark
« Reply #2235 on: June 18, 2010 06:30:38 PM »

If you need to keep your credit score up, it's better to to just let the card stay empty, but not use it. Otherwise, your credit can take a ding for a while from the cancellation. I kind of like the idea of sewing it up into something. I need to empty mine. Can't do it just yet due to a bunch of crises this year, but I think I might make myself some credit card sachets. Maybe if they are a few layers thick, or elaborately decorated, I won't want to take them apart to get at the card unless I really, really have to. I could melt the ice quickly enough with a little hot water... Grin

Now, for Frugal Friday. I actually got something done in time!

This necklace is made from one of the smaller singed flowers I made last month, some glass pearls from my stash, and a bit of the chain I got from a multi-chain necklace I bought for two bucks at Family Dollar. Chain from the hobby stores is 60 miles away from me, or online with shipping expenses, and probably would cost me more than this necklace did. I have enough chain left over to make 2-3 more necklaces, I think.  Smiley

I sewed a felt circle to the back of the flower, and then worked an eye pin through it. This was easier than sewing around the pin, and I could fiddle with it until I was happy with the way the flower would hang in the necklace. Photos aren't that great, but you can see how that was done below (click-able images):

The flower is made from scraps of 100% polyester blouse fabrics. I am very nervous about the possibility of toxic fumes from the melting dyes, so it's better to do them outside, with a bucket of water right next to you to put out any possible fires.
Here are a few tutorials:
http://diaryofacraftaholic.blogspot.com/2010/01/singed-flower-and-kneehigh-headband.html
http://whitelinenlavenderfield.blogspot.com/2010/01/singed-chiffon-flower-tutorial.html
http://funtocraft.blogspot.com/2010/03/singed-flower-and-headband.html
http://jo2308.typepad.com/blissedoutknitting/2008/07/hand-made-flowe.html
If you try this, be safe, and mind the fumes.
I'm thinking about taking apart some old silk flowers, embellishing them with paint and maybe some bling, and using them to make necklaces like this one that do not involve fire and danger.  Cheesy

I'm so glad I got something done in time this week.   Cool

I love the wedding book! That is a great idea!

Kitschbitch, I love your quilt blocks! I'm going to see if can get that book through inter-library loan. It looks like you are having fun with it, and I want to try it too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

scorpios_stinger
« Reply #2236 on: June 18, 2010 06:51:41 PM »

No frugal crafting persay, I did find a zumba class for only $5 and I crafted my body, well it's in the process fo crafting from a jiggeley mess   Smiley come on, you cant beat a class for $5. I am proud  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #2237 on: June 18, 2010 07:51:50 PM »

as of the time the payment clears capital ones payment center, I will have my 17.99% apr credit card paid off.  I'm waiting on that to cancel the dang thing (and I'm just betting that I will have a cancelation fee tacked on.)
Cancelling your card can have a negative effect on your credit, because it lowers your total available credit.  Better option: Cut it up, throw it away, but leave the account open.
asling? where did you get your material for the curtains.
i could stand to make 11 sets of blackout curtains for my home, mainly my bdrm and l/r and kitchen that gets the morning light (i hate to see my bill for this mths electric).
I bought the blackout online at joann.com.  I used a 40% coupon, but it looks like it's 50% off right now! http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=zprd_02117232a
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cat2007
« Reply #2238 on: June 18, 2010 08:01:28 PM »

well Ashling thanks for that link i'll look at it   but I have remembered that I have several panels in my hopechest that I keep at my moms' house, there are about 6 or 7 panels and they have the vinyl backing on them. I'm going to ck the next time i'm over there and see if they are usable. 
I did know about the credit score thing but since my cc company stopped offering the free quarterly report I don't know what mine is now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icebyrd67
hello beautiful world!

Where is the pony doctor?!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2239 on: June 18, 2010 09:00:24 PM »

The photo techs throw away all of those little film canisters.  Literally just throw them away.  no recycling, nothing.  I used to keep them and take them home for projects and stuff.  

I hope I'm wrong about this but someone told me those are very chemically and shouldn't be used for anything else, not even if washed. Does anyone know anything else about that?

I didn't mean the actual film canister but the little plastic canisters they come in.  You know the little tube-y things with lids?  Those are safe.  Its only the actual metal piece that is ran through chemicals
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn all about me? http://icebyrd67.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/icebyrd67

looking for personal swaps - i need decorative table numbers for my wedding. want to have a place in my wedding? More details in my profile. PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 233 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tease Your Hair: The Backcombing Basics
How to Make Greasy Hair Look Good
How to Make a Pretty Ponytail
Double Dare: The Ponytail Fabric
Top Knot with Volume Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...