A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,670
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 233
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 149105 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashling
« Reply #2220 on: June 18, 2010 06:19:03 AM »

I love the curtains Ashling! I am storing that one away.
Thanks!  I don't usually make things that big, so it was a little challenging, but it was worth it.  The added bonus is that it keeps the room dark in the morning too, with a south facing window, it was too bright too early for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

icebyrd67
hello beautiful world!

Where is the pony doctor?!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2221 on: June 18, 2010 10:23:45 AM »

I know this is really silly but i'm too excited to not share.  It's not really frugal in that i've just spend $125 BUT for that $125, i finished 90% of my christmas shopping.  I got 5 pairs of pants/shorts, 5 shot glasses, 2 baby outfits, a baby cheerleader outfit, one scarf/hat/gloves set, 13 shirts and 2 game-worn jerseys.  All brand new except obviously for the game-worn jerseys.  All from my university's college store!  The two jerseys are the jerseys for two of my favorite football players on our team.  =)

It killed my "extra" money for the next two months but it was completely worth it!  And all of them say "Houston Cougars" on them which makes them better!  YAY!

*off to dance in my own corner*

Another bright side!  I dug through my boxes of stuff and found all the things i need to make the rest of my MAF6 swap stuff from my stash and all of the stuff to fill my JOW8 jar!  =)  Thank you ladies for inspiring me to dig through my stash...finally.  lol.  Now, back to reading.  I'm on page 190 of the thread.  =) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn all about me? http://icebyrd67.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/icebyrd67

looking for personal swaps - i need decorative table numbers for my wedding. want to have a place in my wedding? More details in my profile. PM me!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

« Reply #2222 on: June 18, 2010 10:48:38 AM »

I am going to be using my dehydrator in the garage with the door open a bit to let out the awful heat it puts out...I am making turkey jerky, which requires a very long time and I do not want to use my oven!

I am also using an old plastic pretzel jar to make sun tea...too hot for the kettle!

I am so excited about the ginger post!!  Hubby was having some digestive issues and so I bought a jar of pickled ginger and he is just amazed at how much better he is feeling!  But it is so expensive!  It would be great to have it growing!  I know the root freezes so well...

cassandra--I must have given you the wrong link for the shrug because the one I am making is definitely knitted!!  I printed it out so I will check to see if I also printed out the address.  Sorry about that!

I grow milkweed, but it does not look like a dandelion at all...I grow it mostly for the butterflies...

ok--I think maybe I already shared this, but I got a bad case of poison ivy and the dead sea salt scrub literally dried it up in three days with no itching!  I love that stuff!!  I am going to see if regular salt scrubs would work so I can make my own...hubby says no, because the concentration of salt is not strong enough ...huh?  salt is salt, right?

After my two swaps are done on Wednesday, I will be working 100% on my own projects and my own frugal things...

One bit of icky news...hubby found four more boxes of "stuff" while cleaning out the basement and put them into my nice clean crafting room...it never ends...I did find four yards of some weird blue fabric that I am going to make into lightweight pants (I want a pair of those Thailand fighting pants?)...I had to recycle about 200 old Readers Digest books I was saving for papercrafts because they got moldy...thank goodness I had already torn off the great covers and had them in a sealed container!

Seriously, do I need to keep my art work from elementary school?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pantsafari
« Reply #2223 on: June 18, 2010 11:24:43 AM »

AIMR-  dont do sun tea in a plastic container. Putting plastic in the sun will cause the chemicals in it to leach into the tea. Use glass instead- much safer. Glass tea jars are usually pretty cheap, and they are a good investment if you make a lot of sun tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
cassandra
« Reply #2224 on: June 18, 2010 11:30:29 AM »

AIMR It may have been knitted, I do not know how to tell the difference.  I don't know how to do either although it'd be neat to know how to knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cat2007
« Reply #2225 on: June 18, 2010 11:32:07 AM »

as of the time the payment clears capital ones payment center, I will have my 17.99% apr credit card paid off.  I'm waiting on that to cancel the dang thing (and I'm just betting that I will have a cancelation fee tacked on.)
I am planning to start the weekend with a small recon trip to see about school supplies for dd but first i'm making her go through her room and the file cabinet to make sure what she really needs (she will want to buy ALL NEW-if i let her)  I got her a scientific calculator for $5 @ walmart a while back (it was regularly $39-I think someone made an error to my advantage- it wouldn't ring up in the system so the clerk keyed it in for the sale sticker amt)

well I've planted a piece of ginger and we'll see if it sprouts since i us it to make my eggrolls, I'm waiting for my first tomato harvest to get here I think maybe tomorrow (i love fresh tomato sandwiches)

asling? where did you get your material for the curtains.
i could stand to make 11 sets of blackout curtains for my home, mainly my bdrm and l/r and kitchen that gets the morning light (i hate to see my bill for this mths electric).  

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2226 on: June 18, 2010 11:53:16 AM »

There is no way I'm going to be submitting anything for frugal Friday, maybe not even slacker Sunday this week. I'm still dealing with the hurricane fall out, sigh. Everything from the basement is shoved everywhere but you know what? Even though I had to toss some nice things I'm not actually all that sad about losing the basement storage space. I'm decluttering in a way that I never thougth I would. The fake xmas tree is outta here along with more than half of the xmas ornaments, things for halloween and other holidays/occasions, decorations, books galore, toys I had stored for the kids, tools, oh it just goes on and on. I know I say this over and over again but I can't beleive the amount of stuff I have crammed into every nook and cranny of my life, it's EXHAUSTING! I can't wait for it all to be gone and it will be, very very soon. If we had to move into a much smaller place we could do it. Good thing too 'cause that might just happen...

Still working on swaps exclusively from stash and I have another craftster who'd like a box of random goodies. Got a few small parcels to send to other people on here too. I've got my piles of supplies for specific projects I want to make to sell set aside and will hopefully start on them in the next 2 weeks or so. We shall see...
OH! And I decided what to do with this mountain of old fleece jackets I've got kicking around. I'm going to make a patchwork throw out of them, maybe 5x5" squares. Either for my son's bed or for the back of the couch. I backed a latchhook pillow like that a while ago and I was looking at it today thinking how snuggly and bright it looked. I might even make it doubled sided, I certainly have enough fabric!

BTW Cat, congrats on paying off the CC, I'm working on a couple of thsoe myself. Can't say I've been as successful as you but I'm trying.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010 11:54:36 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #2227 on: June 18, 2010 01:45:23 PM »

Frugal Friday Posting:

I've been working away on a king sized quilt for a wedding gift.  So far, I have only used stash fabric, though I may have to buy some material for the sashing and binding.  I don't know if I'll do batting...my grandmother never did, and her blankets are uber-cozy from the layers of fabric used.  In place of binding, I may use a neutral coloured fabric.  The method I am using is in the book Crazy Shortcut Quilts  which I highly recommend.

Piccies:

Fabric all cut up:

Examples of the larger blocks...I piece four 11x11cm blocks together to get a 19.5x19.5cm square:

And an example of the back of one of the larger squares:

Thoughts?  This is the first time I have made a quilt using this method, and I am really enjoying it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

icebyrd67
hello beautiful world!

Where is the pony doctor?!

« Reply #2228 on: June 18, 2010 01:53:51 PM »

as of the time the payment clears capital ones payment center, I will have my 17.99% apr credit card paid off.  I'm waiting on that to cancel the dang thing (and I'm just betting that I will have a cancelation fee tacked on.)

If there's going to be a cancellation fee on it, don't cancel it.  Just toss it in the freezer in a cup of water or something and forget about it.  Save yourself some money that way.

I noticed a there was some talk about CVS/Walgreens earlier in the thread (yes, i just finally finished reading all 224 pages of it.  lol)  One tip for people is make friends with your make up counter girl.  I worked for walgreens for a while as a beauty adviser and photo tech.  The beauty advisers get something called PMs on certain types of make up (what's on the list depends on the month).  Most stores require them to sell a certain amount of PMs which are commissions for them.  Because of this, most make up counters keep a box of coupons at their counters to convince people to check out with them instead of going to the front.  Just mention to them that you forgot your coupons at home or something and they will more than likely whip out the box and get you a discount.  Even on clearance stuff.

The photo techs throw away all of those little film canisters.  Literally just throw them away.  no recycling, nothing.  I used to keep them and take them home for projects and stuff.  Donated a giant garbage bag full to the local elementary school for art projects.  I use the clear ones to store beads. etc.  Ask your local Walgreens to keep those for you if you even find yourself needing those.

If you even need moving boxes or boxes to mail stuff, find out when the trucks come in for your local michaels and go there that day and ask for boxes.  They compact them in the trash.  Not recycle them.  I moved my entire house using boxes from michaels.  Especially now since we're getting closer to when christmas stock starts showing up at michaels....

i can't think of anymore tips right now.

I am hoping to have a frugal friday project to post up later when i get home if i remember to.  or it may be posted tomorrow as a slacker saturday project.  lol.  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn all about me? http://icebyrd67.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/icebyrd67

looking for personal swaps - i need decorative table numbers for my wedding. want to have a place in my wedding? More details in my profile. PM me!
cat2007
« Reply #2229 on: June 18, 2010 02:10:58 PM »

ha ha toss in freezer with some water, now that's cool  (no pun-really).  I think i just may do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 233 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vegetable Sushi for Kids
How to Roll Lumpia
How to Make Cucumber Raita
How to Make Boondi Raita
How to Make Eggplant Raita
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...