A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 233
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 146600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashling
« Reply #2190 on: June 14, 2010 06:38:08 AM »

...what we do it open all windows at around 6 or 7pm (when the sun goes down and it starts to cool off), we leave them open all night, and at 7am they all get closed and white curtains or blinds are closed. 
We used to do this all the time when we lived in California, and it worked pretty well.  Unfortunatly now we live on the basement level, so our windows are even with the ground, and leaving them open at night aggravates my husband's allergies.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2191 on: June 14, 2010 06:51:43 AM »

My compost isn't smelly so long as I add a layer of dried leaves or straw on top of the layers of food scraps. I can't turn the pile though, it's in one of those compost containers and it's impossible to move it around. I think I'd have been better off with an open box.

We used to use that window trick when we were in the big house but this little place is like a hot box, I need the windows open all day for the breeze or we roast. I keep them closed when the sun is shining directly on them but after that they're opened wide. We're close to the lake so thankfully it's nearly always a bit breezy. I've got very light sheer curtains too so they keep out the hot sun but let in light and air. I have to behome to close everything up if it rains though or stuff gets soaked!

Daily frug ~ will try to clean my Grandad's rug myself today, the one that got moldy in the basement when the tornado/storm saturated my world (borrowing a steamer from a friend) instead of sending it out or *gulp* throwing it away. It's one of the nice things I own & I'd like to try and save it. A little sun would help though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2192 on: June 14, 2010 06:59:54 AM »

I went to auction a few years ago and got a big composter bin for 3 dollars. Kind've like this one
http://www.composters.com/compost-bins/the-outside-gourmet-compost-bin---80-gal_93_1.php
I'm not saying that you have to have a store purchased bin for composting, but dh had never composted growing up, so this really helped get him used to it because he wasn't looking at it.
keeps our dogs and other animals out, plus keeps the smell in. We stir it every few days, and I bring home coffee grounds from work because they are supposed to help speed up the process of composting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassandra
« Reply #2193 on: June 14, 2010 07:04:42 AM »

While we're discussing composting and bugs...
I've noticed a few roaches in the house which we've never had them and I noticed them quite a bit outside...I just now put two and two together that I bet I'm getting them from the composting...how do I get rid of them?!?!?!  Thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cat2007
« Reply #2194 on: June 14, 2010 10:37:13 AM »

@ lady4feet- my son thinks your ferrets are so cool , had to keep telling him  they are NOT weasels......Smiley
well since it's now in the hi 90's most days with heat index well over 100, I've turned on the A/C and now when I step outside to do my garden chore's  I just about pass out,  to help cut down on how much the a/c kick's on I keep the ceiling fan turned on during the day, I'm putting up a curtain to close off most of the kitchen entrance (I have gas range  so only cook when necessary and when I do I cook for the whole day-when it's gone it's gone- haha) ? about closing off a room- my son doesn't sleep in his room right now-and I'm thinking of shutting the vent but I'm afraid to have a hot pocket so should I shut the vent or just leave it open.  I have thin curtains throughout and they are closed at all times w/the exception of buddy's window- he has to have a place so he can bar at the squirrels. 

couldn't sleep last night so I spent $50 on meritline.com  (got a cooling pad for dd's laptop, a usb extender hub, a mic for my ipod touch so I can use the memo program, got a couple of inserts for my purses-these I plan on making and selling @ the pioneer days, got some headphone- since the kids are always borrowing mine that I use on the desktop, all was free shipping so in a cpl weeks after I"ve forgotten about buying this stuff it will arrive and we'll be surprised).  was planning on hitting the shops today but it's just to muggy.  but I'm planning on going to the $tree to see what bargains I can find.  I'm looking for some under the bed storage for all our beds and saw something in homemade simple magazine that I get via email which were cloth baskets that were segmented I know I've seen them @ the $tree but they were just 8-9 in squares, I've been budgeting for such a trip so it will be within my strict budget. (I've almost got that pesky CC paid off)
I almost bought some window screen (the advert said 'portable screen door' ha ha) but decided that I could get a large roll from walmart cheaper than at the local home store. so my drying rack is well on it's way to being complete. (this will be used mainly to dry fruits n veggies)
IF and it's a big IF dd helps me around the house I am going to buy her a wireless mouse for her laptop that her papa has given her, I have a small one that he gave our son because his meathooks were just too big and while I got it to work once I've not had any luck getting it to do that again so that will be on my 'to buy' list.  I find that if I make this list on my touch then when I'm sitting piddling I can look back and decide if I really want to make the purchases. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cat2007
« Reply #2195 on: June 14, 2010 11:04:00 AM »

THANK YOU....Wink I just saw, not always so slow on the uptake but having had only 3 hrs sleep out of the last 36 I think I'm doing pretty good. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cat2007
« Reply #2196 on: June 14, 2010 11:51:42 AM »

don't know if this has ever been posted so here goes:   homemade-Air Conditioner
things you will need:
fan (I have a box style and a small oscillating 2 speed)
tee shirt
bowl full of ice cubes
laundry basket (i have a med sized round one)

to use:
place the bowl of ice in the laundry basket, wet the teeshirt (wringing it out) and drap over the top and side of the laundry basket. place fan behind the basket allowing the air to push through the set teeshirt.
I was skeptical the first time I tried this but now we've done this a few times before I turn on the a/c unit and it will drop the temp in which ever room u chose to set up in.  kids get a kick out of the process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #2197 on: June 14, 2010 01:15:05 PM »

While we're discussing composting and bugs...
I've noticed a few roaches in the house which we've never had them and I noticed them quite a bit outside...I just now put two and two together that I bet I'm getting them from the composting...how do I get rid of them?!?!?!  Thanks guys!

Good luck! Roaches are a B***h to get rid of. Try this instructable http://www.instructables.com/id/No-More-Roaches/

We got roaches in the house and it took almost a year to get rid of them. I didn't try the above instructable, I just found it last week but it has rave reviews. Also start being super clean, I mean like OCD clean and put all food in sealable containers. That and some roach stuff I got from the DIY pest control place took care of ours. I hope anyways I haven't seen any in a few months.

Cat2007 ~ How old's your son? The weasel thing cracked me up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2198 on: June 14, 2010 03:42:55 PM »

Yes, be super clean. A family of roaches can live off the glue on the back of a postage stamp for a year. No kidding, all dried goods straight into mason jars, wipe them down before putting back into the cupboard (I do this to prevent grain moth infestation as well as to keep ants and mice disinterested in my kitchen, it works and it looks really nice too). Keep ALL food scraps out of the garbage (put non-compostables into a container in the freezer until it's time to go out in the trash, rinse food residue off containers before trashing), keep compostables in a container that seals well and wipe it down often. You can use natural things like diatomaceous earth but take care, it kills other bugs too. That instructables is really great advice, that will kill them off totally well. Sweep, vacuum and mop often, keep the bathroom clean and dry, they like moisture. Work on sealing up cracks and other entry ways though they can squeeze through a hairline, you can minimize entry but never eliminate it completely.
If you rent the land lord might be obligated to fumigate depending on your local rules.
Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
LaughingLark
« Reply #2199 on: June 14, 2010 04:49:24 PM »

I didn't get a chance to craft anything at all this weekend, so here is a little Mega-slacker Monday project instead. Cheesy

A while back, I took some synthetic felt pieces that I had too many of/didn't like the color of, and painted over them with a wash of acrylic paints. The paints I used were half-dried out, and I used up the bit that wasn't solidified for these. Before the paint dried, I took an old medicine dropper and dropped rubbing alcohol here and there to make the paint run a bit as it dried. Here are two of the felt sheets (click-able):

I also did a few more that did not look as nice. I used one of the better corners of one of those to make this flower. Sorry the pics are not that great:

Here is the back of the flower. I'm not sure what I'm going to use it as yet. Probably will end up being a brooch. The bright yellow felt in the background is a piece of the same felt as what I painted. I had a TON of it, and I'm not a big fan of yellow.

The very back of the flower was made using the painted felt. Since it dried stiff, it makes a nice foundation for a pin. It might not work so well for stuffies, though.
Here are the pieces. I don't know where I originally got this pattern; it was in one of my folders of  paper cutouts.

This project is Heather Bailey's Couch Flower. It's a great quick craft. I was worried that mine wouldn't turn out cute like hers, since I used cheap felt. It has a different look, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I had some homespun I made a while back that is really twisty and slubby and worked well for this project. It's from my first homespun on a drop spindle.
http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/heather_bailey/2006/12/couch_flower.html
I'm so glad I finally got something done! Grin
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010 05:01:47 PM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 233 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Salma Hayek’s Beauty School: Easy Wavy Hair
How to Make Your Blowout Last the Entire Week
How To Do Athena Hair
Interview With Pamela Anderson at the 2013 International Beauty Show
Hair Color Secrets from the Pros
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...