A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 233
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 122292 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cat2007
« Reply #1780 on: May 18, 2010 10:43:09 AM »

dang, just woke up from a midol induced 'coma'[still going to dr tomorrow though and getting other things looked at Wink mainly my ankle that I sprained several weeks ago].   
CLM- as soon as I read your nylon i though AH-HA why didn't i think of that?  and I've just remember I've got some nylon material that I"m going to make a nut milk bag, and a cheese bag for my crockpot cheese, I'll just cut a bit for the lid liner.
(on a side: not sure if i'm having tummy issued due to visiting my friend-I wore a mask the whole time, or the fresh coconut milk and meat that I ate but one or the other has got to go) ds asked me why the Coconut milk wasn't white?  haha
i've been very frugal today I've slept most of the day. (can't spend money went you can't keep your eyes open)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1781 on: May 18, 2010 11:55:32 AM »

I was at the library today and picked up a house keeping book from 1890's. I'm interested to see what green/frugal stuff they have in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #1782 on: May 18, 2010 12:42:26 PM »

I remember when Women's magazines has nothing but thrifty ideas...that was part of the female's job, to make the home a happy place on a budget!!  I wonder if they can be found online...some of the ideas were really great while others seem so silly now!

I remember one tip was to work with your neighbors to limit your calls on your party telephone line.  Each family could use like 30 minutes a month...I remember my parents used one call a month to my grandfather and dad used to set the timer down for about 10 minutes! How weird it seems that we can chat for hours on the phone now...I guess that is why I don't use the phone much and don't really use my cell phone--old habits die hard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 110/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
cat2007
« Reply #1783 on: May 18, 2010 12:57:18 PM »

@kitty  you can go to guttenberg library (google)  and do a search and find a lot of books to dl on housekeeping from era's past. i've gotten several cook books from there.  I know how to make calf foot jelly and headcheese  num num num (or more like it yak yak yak)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #1784 on: May 18, 2010 01:00:58 PM »

headcheese...calf foot jelly...oh my...you are my hubby's dream girl... Cheesy

That is a great tip...finding fun old things to do and save money...headcheese...sorry...

anyway, great tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
LaughingLark
« Reply #1785 on: May 18, 2010 01:17:22 PM »

Calves foot jelly... Tongue

That reminds me of a story my mom used to trot out when we complained that we needed some new toy. When she was little, during the worst of the Great Depression, she and my aunt and uncle would be given chicken feet from the butcher down the street to play with. The kids would take little bits of twine they had found, and tie the feet to the end of a stick. Then they would tie another string to the tendon that makes the claws move. When they tugged the string, the feet could be used to "grab" at an unsuspecting friend. My uncle would sometimes use one of these to make soft scratching sounds on the window to scare his big sisters. This worked particularly well after they had all been over to the neighbors with the radio to hear the latest episode of "The Shadow".  Cheesy

Wow, I guess that tale was both frugal and crafty.

Today, I was excited to learn that you can dye silk with Kool-Aid. I am so going to try this with somethrifted silk in my stash:
http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/koolaid-scarves
I'd like to turn some old silk blouses into moebius scarves by piecing them together in strips and then sewing them into a tube. I like this concept, but want summery colors:
92.00 scarf
If it works, I can have one for under a buck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cat2007
« Reply #1786 on: May 18, 2010 01:18:35 PM »

I can make a mean batch of headchesse.  I just chose to use my God given right to NOT!.  my mother loves this stuff and I've watched my nannie make it so all i need is a pigs head and some spices....  UGH! but I guess if I HAD to I could ingest it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #1787 on: May 18, 2010 01:25:30 PM »

Do you think people back then were not only more frugal but had tougher stomachs?  I often wonder if we stopped being frugal as a society because no one wanted to eat homemade stuff anymore that seemed "gross" and also people did not want to get their hands dirty?

Maybe being frugal means being tougher in some ways?

laughing_lark--you have the most interesting projects...I am so afraid of throwing out stuff because someone might give me an idea of what I can do with it...now I need to dig out all those silk tank tops I thought I no longer needed...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #1788 on: May 18, 2010 02:13:07 PM »

My mom grew up with a party line. All the neighbors knew when she was in trouble.  Cheesy

Thanks cat! I'm gonna look it up. I also found in my own collection and being thrifty and green living book. I'll have to get those out and look them over again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cat2007
« Reply #1789 on: May 18, 2010 02:29:42 PM »

Re partylines.   Because of my asthma as child, we had one of the
only private lines in our community.  My grandma was on a pl w/ her
neighbor who was very nosy. 

Goi g thru under cabinets In the kitchen. How did these things get
in my house??? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 233 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Lighting to Take Great Photos
How to Photograph Stamping Projects
Cindy Sherman at Metro Pictures
Wedding Photography Tips
Give Me Three Minutes -- I Will Improve Your Videos
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...