A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 308,218
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 217
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 194529 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1780 on: May 25, 2010 07:57:25 AM »

Well, I was kind of frugal last night. I went to Ikea and bought 2 lamps and then bought some pillow cases to embroider. I also got some containers and a new rug all for less than 50.00. Oh yeah, and I got all three dogs a toy. So, spent some money but I got a lot of good stuff that will last for a long time (except the dog toys).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

« Reply #1781 on: May 25, 2010 08:11:52 AM »

lylacfey--when I get home I will get you the cookie dough recipe!  It was a godsend over the holidays because you can make a bunch of different cookies by adding things like chocolate chips or peanut butter--an all purpose mix!  I even experimented and made a pineapple nut one and a cranberry walnut one!  Yummy!

cat2007--omg--I know some people really react badly to certain fiber veggies...stick to what you know...I have a friend who has Crohns and we must be very careful not to feed her anything that could cause her pain-She can't do things like brocolli, cabbage, whole wheat anything...

goldfishpollywog--my loofah is not doing well either!!  Hubby says that it is because of too little sun and too much rain!  He thinks they are rotting at the roots! I am going to reseed but since they need such a long growing season, I am worried that I won't get mature fruit for my loofah sponges! Sad

laughing lark--oh no on you clots!  They can be dangerous so take care!  I find simple a-line skirts with elastic and drawstrings work for a changing waistline!  That is what I wore in pants and skirts when I was losing weight...there are so many nice light breezy fabrics for the hot summer...check out the discount area at the fabric stores--sometimes you can get fabric for $2/yd...thrift stores sell broomstick skirts that you can cut up to make a simpler skirt...I would think a skirt made of t-shirts would be hotter than lighter fabrics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1782 on: May 25, 2010 09:49:08 AM »

craftylittlemonkey- gonna PM you about that PUL.

laughing lark- this tutorial looks easy and very frugal. I am planning on making a few of these myself this summer- I live in skirts all summer long, I hate the way I look in shorts.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=323055.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #1783 on: May 25, 2010 10:39:22 AM »

Thanks everyone! Smiley

Pixival, that tute is awesome! That is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I think we still have some white 100% cotton sheets around here, unless I took them to the thrift shop already. I can try tie-dyeing them with Rit, maybe.

Since I need a lot of yardage, sheets are a great frugal idea for making skirts. If I find a plain, bright sheet, maybe I could use freezer paper stencils to paint something interesting on it. I think 46 is too young to go around looking like a granny in my compression stockings.  Cheesy

Lylacfey--I am so glad I can retreat to the air conditioning when I need it. Definitely not frugal though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #1784 on: May 25, 2010 10:53:51 AM »

oh that is a lovely summery skirt!  and she has a great tutorial!  I know that missmoppet revised and updated all of the tutorials for the recon clothing board (she is awesome!!)...check there too for some great ideas!

thanks for the link pixieval!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pantsafari
« Reply #1785 on: May 25, 2010 11:22:51 AM »

maremare- how do you make lotion? 4 ingredients? im so curious...

laughing lark- you can make skirts out of practically anything, button-down mens shirts, bed sheets, tablecoths, bandanas (multiple bandanas-not just one...thatd be a lil skimpy), you can even make skirts from pants by splitting the inseam and adding some fabric.  then you can always add flair with appliques, embroidry, paint, etc etc.   I love making skirts becuase they are so easy and you dont have a whole lot of fitting to do. (like with pants. nightmare.)  and a lot of these things you can find at thrift stores or discount stores on the cheap. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #1786 on: May 25, 2010 12:31:04 PM »

Isn't this month's theme reconned clothing?  I am working on making a pair of old black jeans into a skirt...it really is very easy!  I am deciding how I want to decorate it...and it turned out a bit shorter than I wanted, so I am thinking of adding a simple ruffle at the botton--maybe a pleated kind so it won't look so full!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1787 on: May 25, 2010 12:37:46 PM »

ruffle or lace is a great way to extend the length! Can't wait to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1788 on: May 25, 2010 01:17:31 PM »

maremare- how do you make lotion? 4 ingredients? im so curious...

I was possibly exaggerating on the 4 ingredients. At its most basic, for lotion you need oil, distilled water, and an emulsifier. So yeah, techinically 3 ingredients, but I usually do several oils and butters, I always add Vitamin E oil, honey as a humectant, palm stearic to thicken it, and a preservative if you don't want to grow mold. Sometimes a silicon to make it silkier. (See how I have a specific purpose for everything I put in there? Stupid commercial crap with 40 ingredients!)

This is my fave recipe:

Water Phase:
70% Distilled Water
5% Honey

Oil Phase:
13% oils and butters of choice
5% Emulsifying Wax
5% Cyclomethicone (optional)
2% Pam Stearic (Stearic Acid)
Fragrance as desired, using your own nose or manufacturer's recommended guidelines for usage rates

.5% Preservative
.5% Vitamin E Oil

Sterilize everything you will be using before lotion making. For equipment, I run them through the dishwasher and then dunk them in super hot water with bleach and then let air dry. For bottles for the finished lotion just the bleach phase.

Heat each phase in microwave, stirring frequently, until it reaches 150 degrees on candy thermometer. I like to use 8 cup pyrex spouted containers for this (or smaller if doing a smaller batch). Pour OIL phase into WATER phase. Use stick blender (hand blender is ok) to mix. Let rest and cool for several minutes, stick blend some more, etc. When it begins to thicken and cool, but is still pourable, add Vitamin E and preservative (check manufacturer's usage rate, .5% is fairly standard). Also add fragrance at this point. Pour into bottles slowly, leaving a bit of head room to shake (more if you are using a pump style cap), pouring to the "shoulders" of the bottle is usually a good idea.

Some of my fave lotion oil blends:

For oily skin that still needs to be moisturized: mostly jojoba with some hemp and a touch of rice bran oil, tea tree oil added later

For more "mature" skin: rice bran oil base

For rich moisturizing: shea butter, avocado oil, olive oil

To make a face mask, just whip up a batch of lotion with whatever properties you want the mask to have (I do my oily skin one and the moisture one) and leave out the stearic so it is very thin. In the cool down process add clay, I use bentonite for the oily mask and rose clay for the moisture mask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Want Prizes?! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #1789 on: May 25, 2010 01:18:52 PM »

I just cut off a pair of jeans with fraying bottoms to make capris...I haven't hemmed them yet, but now you gave me a great idea to use ribbon at the bottom!  I hope I have some in my stash that will work...hmmm...funny how I do not seem to have much ribbon...I guess that is a good thing... Sad

added after I read maremare's post:

I had no idea what was involved in lotion making...nor did I know you made lotion...I am in awe of people who make beauty products...it sure is a lot of work and ingredients and planning! I am glad you do, though Cheesy Wink
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010 01:20:28 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 217 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...