A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,620
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 233
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FrugALong 2010  (Read 120308 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2010 11:29:44 AM »

So many great frugal projects have been posted this month, I can’t wait until the 1st to do the drawing for the Visa Gift Card.

On a note that I am not so thrilled to announce, I am locking the frugalong thread down. It will still be available for everyone to view and browse for ideas, it will just not be available for new posts.

Although we have formed a lot of friendships in here, shared and learned so much, and have gone through hard times together, I feel as though this thread has moved very far away from what it was originally intended to be all about, Crafting frugally. Technically, this thread should have been moved to FOC Off Topic a long time ago, but I struggled and fought to keep us going alone in the pursuit of frugal crafting.

We have so many great crafty smart women in this thread, and I hope you will continue to post all around Craftster your amazing frugal projects so that more people can learn about the frugally crafting lifestyle. Right now though, I just don’t feel like I have the time and energy to devote to our thread, and to keep us going in the right direction. I would not feel right leaving this thread being the one who started it, so that is what ultimately drove my decision to lock the thread.

I hope to see some of you on the FOC off topic Frugal thread
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=350174.0

And to review Craftster’s Community Rules:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=350367.0

2010 FrugALong!!
Inspired by the ladies in the January Frugal Swap We have so many great links there for recipes, crafts, and money saving tips for the frugal lifestyle.

"This CAL is all about living (and crafting!) frugally.  Frugal living means something different to each person, but it may include saving money by using cloth napkins, knit/crocheted dishcloths, reusable shopping bags (you say 5 cents for each bag you bring in at my grocery store!), wool dryer balls (seriously, the dryer sheets can be pricey!), reusable menstrual pads or diva cup/moon cup bag and wet bags, soap savers, homemade laundry soap, homemade bath soaks, etc.  Or it may include recipes to try out instead of eating out, a piggy bank/other way of corralling change to take to the bank instead of letting it be eaten by the couch, having a coupon organizer ... the ideas are endless!"-Kaz814

Input so far (on pages 103-104) is good, and that a lot of folks would be interested in themed months. I know that sounds like fun!
Some of the theme suggestions so far are:
laundry, cleaning, decorating, kitchen, crafting, cooking (? not sure about this), personal care/bath, gardening, home items, seasonal frugality, holiday frugality, Like - laundry - dryer balls, homemade laundry detergent, dryer sachets, using the clothesline, etc.

January's Theme:
Since we're getting such a late start in January, the theme will be just craft anything to help you on with your frugal self. This can be anything from making a bean soup, making a swap item entirely out of stash supply(which should be easy for the frugal swappers!  ), or making yourself a quilt or an afgan to keep your heating bills down.

This starts in February!
You don’t have to play along in order to participate in the Frugalong. But, you do have to play in order to be entered for the prize each month!
In order to qualify for the prize post either the image of your craft in this thread, or a link to where you posted your craft here on Craftster by midnight CST on the final day of the month. There will be themes assigned for every month, but you might not need something for every theme, I mean, how frugal would that be to craft yourself more of something you already have a billion of? So to qualify for the prize, you must just enter a craft that somehow fits into your life as a frugal item.

Then, I will place everyone’s name that completed a craft(s) that month in a hat, and draw a winner’s name. (Your name will only go into the hat once for that month, whether you complete 1 item, or a 100.) I’ll contact you in a PM for a mailing address, and send that month’s prize to you.

February’s ThemeKill Some Germs, not your budget
This month is all about cleaning up! You can create laundry soap, bar soap, dish towels, reusable “paper” towels, dish scrubbers, face cloths, swiffer clothes, ETC.
February's winner will be drawn this weekend! Smiley

February’s Prize
4 100% cotton dishcloths
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/thumbs/167891_31Jan10_100_10871.JPG  
Winer- Disco Queen Highness!

March's ThemeOrganizing and Decluttering! Under your bed, in your closet, your pantry, your backyard, your flowerbeds! Whatever you want to organize/declutter!

March's Prize -donated by rottenlittleboys
A great home cleaning book called Cleaning Plain and Simple

April Theme- We're going to have a combo of 3 themes this month to keep up with everyone's frugal goals. Smiley
Frugal Gardening
WIPS(finish up those works in Progress!!)

May Themes-
WIPs/declutter(this will very well be an ongoing theme!)
Frugal Fashion- Keep up with all that hemming, repairs, and altering old fashions into new!
Crafting outside/for outside- This can include your gardens, pets, or decor.

April/May Prize- Donated by Craftylittlemonkey, pics up soon!

June's theme- Work on your individual frugal goals this month

I am totally riding everyone's coat tails of inspiration here, so anything you guys think I should add/take away from this, let me know! This is not MY craftalong, I am just going to keep it updated for us!

For some inspiration, here is the list Kaz814 created from over a 100 pages of input(!) and discussion over in the frugal swap.
Some more ideas of what people can craft for the frugal household/crafter ...

Kitchen Frugality
- reusable lunch bag, sandwich wrap, snack bag  (Possible off-gassing using PUL/vinyl - please discuss with your partner if you want to make that/have a problem with it!)
- tea towels/dishtowels
- dishcloths
- pantry inventory (so you don't overbuy or worse, let something go to waste in the bottom of the fridge because you forgot you have it)
- cloth napkins
- tea cozy (irony optional)
- drying rack for plastic bags
- beaded napkin rings (or other type of napkin ring)
- Frugal getting started kit
- utensil roll for lunchboxes (no more disposables or losing good flatware)
- reusable tea bags for loose tea (made out of a fine mesh)
- jug/jar covers
- reusable bowl covers
- reusable "paper" towels
- tea wallet

The Frugal Home
- reusable swiffer socks  (a sewn swiffer cover tutorial and a crocheted swiffer cover pattern)
- homemade laundry soap
- wool dryer balls
- dryer sachets
- a book of tips for the frugal crafter/homeowner
- DIY Home Repair kit (hammer, screwdriver ... misc. tools, plus instructions on how to do simple home repairs)
- homemade cleaning products (or recipes for such with bottles to put them in, since the Postal Service frowns on sending most liquids ...)
- magnets/wall stuff to remind you to do things (turn off lights, unplug unused appliances, adjust thermostat when you won't be there, water your garden)
- draft dodgers to go at doors/windows to keep out the drafts
- DIY gift-giving kit (reusable fabric gift bags, blank notecards, blank gift tags, etc.)
- Sock Rug
- clothespin bag

Frugal Gardens
- gardening supplies - gardening bag, crop/plant markers, watering can, basket to collect the veggies, etc. (growing is cheaper than buying once you've gotten started!)
- planting planners
- seeds/containers
- Getting started kit
- veggie/herb kit for indoor gardening

Frugal Gourmet
- recipes (homemade bread is economical AND tasty!  Also non-meat meals cost less, too ... including ideas for leftovers, might be fun too.)
- mixes (for dip, bread, cookies, etc.)
- coupon holder
- home-preserved jams, jellies, etc.
- book to plan menus (which will help eliminate eating out)
- grocery list organizer to go along with the menu planning
- reusable grocery/other use bags
- reusable vegetable bags
- price comparison notebook (if you keep track of how much a can of tomatoes is at Store A and Store B, you'll know who has better deals - and if the "sales" are really worth it!)
- calculator cozy (for taking to the grocery store to keep track of your purchases!)
 - grocery savings
 - frugal ways to help you get organized

Being Craftily Frugal
- crafting inventory (to prevent duplicate purchases)
- reclaimed yarn/fabric (how to reclaim yarn from a sweater)
- repurposed clothing
- supplies (if the sender won't use it and the receiver will - it'll be good for all!)

Warm and Frugal Ideas (to save on heating bills)
- socks/slippers to keep warm in the winter
- gloves/wrist warmers to keep warm in the winter
- lap quilt
- microwavable rice/corn heating bag to keep tootsies warm in bed
- draft dodger
- rag rug

Cool and Frugal Ideas (to save on A/C bills)
- cool pack to put in the fridge/freezer
- homemade hand fans
- fun hair ties/headbands
- re-conned shirts into tank tops

Personally Frugal
- washcloths
- cloth menstrual pads/menstrual cup bag/wet bags
- cloth diapers/cloth baby wipes
- soap saver
- personalized note cards/stationery
- reusable water bottle/carrier
- handcrafted stamps to make personalized note cards/stationery
- handmade soap/bath salts (possibly with recipes)
- DIY first aid kit (gauze, bandages, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, etc.)
- small rice/corn packs for icing/warming eyes/head
- yoga mat
- dumbbells of some sort (filled with sand, perhaps?)
- reusable makeup remover pads
- embroidered cloth handkerchiefs
- handmade face scrub/astringent

Budgeting
- checkbook cover (perhaps if it's pretty, it'll be easier to keep track of spending?)
- journal/book to keep a budget in
- piggy bank
- coin purse

What else?  I'd be happy to edit this list as ideas come in!  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010 11:06:14 AM by pixieval » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010 11:35:35 AM »

SQQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEE!!!  My kindred spirits!  *hugs, hugs, hugs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010 11:38:06 AM »

Whoa!  I'm there.  This is so awesome.  I try to be frugal, especially in my crafting and my way of living.

I'll be posting things as I go along here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
amymisha
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010 11:45:09 AM »

Sign me *up*!!! I'm in. This will be an easy month, as I am going to start crafting for the Frugal Swap this weekend. Woot! Penny pinchers unite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010 11:51:17 AM »

Excellent! I'll post doubles of things I make for myself and my swap partner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Lylanni
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010 11:52:21 AM »

Woot Woot! I'm in!  For a few more ideas, what about grocery savings or frugal ways to help you get organized?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010 12:45:49 PM »

Hi there, frugal friends!

Mare mare, I'm making doubles (and triples and quadruples) of some things that I'm making my partner, too!

Started cleaning out my pantry today, inspired by the down-to-earth blog that was shared in the other thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010 03:26:41 PM »

Hello ladies!  Smiley  I'm so glad this is going to be here for us all year long!

I think my big thing for January - apart from the Frugal swap, of course - is to make my own laundry detergent.  I plan on buying a few bars of the soap to grate next week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lylanni
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010 03:28:34 PM »

I was thinking the same thing Kaz!  Though I wanted to know...is there another mild soap I can use besides Ivory?  Oddly enough, hubby is allergic to Ivory lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahJSaturday
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010 03:31:03 PM »

this sounds great! I've been trying to be frugal lately. I'm saving up for a trip to Vegas in May and the more I save around the house, the more fun we can have on our trip. My focus lately is cheaper food, and decorating our apartment without spending gobs of money, and making cheap yummy foods at home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly known as rubidiumdawn, I changed my username.
The Crafteteria- Home Baked crafts!
Bike Swap! Let's make this happen!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 233 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
BEAUTY BUZZ: Jason Wu - NYFW Spring 2014
5-Minute Makeup for Your First Day of School
Get A Bright Summer Makeup Look
Get the Jessie J Makeup Look
Special Occasion Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...