A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
769 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where do I get raw wool?  (Read 3088 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarah.g.vollmer
« on: January 13, 2010 03:00:53 AM »

Over the holidays I went to a flea market and found a pair of wool carders for $2! I knew I had to buy them, but now I have no idea where to get wool to use them on. I've barely started spinning yarn on a drop spindle, let alone carding my own wool  Roll Eyes
I live in a city... not a ram/sheep, etc in sight. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010 09:40:41 PM »

You can use those hand-carders for color-blending in the meantime.
Pop on some blue & purple for a gorgeous blend.
It'll be easier to practice your carding technique blending before using it to "order the fibers"
Once you've got your raw fleece, you'll need to clean it before carding - a whole other journey!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa C
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010 08:27:36 PM »

you can buy roving on lots of websites
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010 09:36:47 PM »

Do a search for "roving" on etsy for some washed fiber ready for you to color blend
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010 01:53:48 PM »

>.< Yet another story of a crazy-awesome deal. Why can I never find these $15 spinning wheels and $2 hand carders?!

Like Jane Doe said, etsy is a good place to look, also try some other stores online like paradise fibers and such. If you really have your heart set on uncarded fiber, I'd suggest starting out with fiber that's already been washed and skirted (to get the hay and grass out). Also, google around before you buy something. I've twice bought stuff that I thought was an awesome deal, only to find that it was way different than I thought, and not something for a beginner to take on right away. So look around, google micron counts and such, whether it's washed and skirted or not, etc. Usually you can also buy dyed locks that haven't been carded but are already washed, skirted, and dyed. Just do an etsy search for 'dyed locks' or something similar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thenutmeg2000

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010 12:05:31 AM »

I agree. I have to tell you about my 10 pounds for 10 dollars I bought on ebay of all sorts of wools...Oh man, what a bargain...NOT...my learning curve was steep and I still have some of that mess around to teach me a lesson. I had to scour it and wash it and all I had were hand cards and let me saw it is a time consuming process to try to take on that much wool with. I did small workable batches at a time. I agree on the buying dyed locks. great idea. or just dyed wools in general that are not carded. Check out some carding videos on Youtube as well as reading about it and seeing it are two whole things. That way you are flying in no time and getting happy results with it too which makes you want to do it more, to buy more wool, to card more, to spin more,...lol oh we got you now. You are our people now... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010 06:18:15 PM »

If you are wanting raw wool, make sure you get it from a shepherdress that has a fiber flock and the sheep are covered.  I have had my own horror stories with raw fleece but at the same time, I've had wonderful experiences also.

I can't say enough good things about the raw fleece I've purchased from Winter's Past Farm.  They raise Coopworth.  Their fleece has won many awards.  I see they still have some available to reserve for 2010.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Bugaboo1
OMG! I should So make that

If I've offended you'll have to get over it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010 08:41:00 PM »

Look for local farmers markets as well, most of ours include farms that raise sheep and alpaca and bring whole uncleaned fleeces, cleaned not carded fleeces, and batts or rovings.

I agree with Jane Doe as well on color blending. If this is your first try at hand carding a whole uncleaned fleeces is a huge step. Carding can take a little wrist/lower arm use and when new and learning to do this it sometimes feels harder then it will become so a whole fleece may be what you can grow into.

you can buy wool already dyed on many websites and at flee markets/farmers markets. A lot of local knitting stores often carry at the least a small selection of undyed roving very inexpensive you can practice with dying and carding or just carding different natural colored rovings.

You can also look online at Mills since many sell their rovings as well as do the milling process for local farms. Sometimes mills are found in odd locations like here there is a local Maple Syrup maker with a small farm that just happens to have a fully functioning mill where they process most the local fleeces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
Kayeoo
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011 09:33:14 PM »

Hi I know this thread is old but   a good place to get cheap raw wool is from community farms   you know those one where people go to see farm life.     Kaye
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiera-oona
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011 10:34:21 AM »

Over the holidays I went to a flea market and found a pair of wool carders for $2! I knew I had to buy them, but now I have no idea where to get wool to use them on. I've barely started spinning yarn on a drop spindle, let alone carding my own wool  Roll Eyes
I live in a city... not a ram/sheep, etc in sight. Any suggestions?

I find it really depends on what city you live in.  Im in toronto and thankfully there are yarn shops that sell wool hanks to spin up.

also, if you want an idea to do some carding, I take all my leftovers from every project I do (except cotton), and I use my carders (aka dollar store cat brushes....it does the same thing), and spin up what I call 'everything wool'
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011 07:41:26 PM »

I would suggest the spinning loft! she has an online shop, and sells unwashed fleece in 4 oz chunks and some "fiber samplers" where you get 2oz of several breeds in a box.

http://spinningloft.co/catalog/index.php?cPath=305_211&osCsid=a1m5ls2q8cs07g0uh9v7vb79p7
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Feather Hair Extensions and Accessories
Options For Preventing Hair Loss
Beauty Stopwatch: Haircare
The Dangers of Brazilian Hair Blowouts
At Home Remedy for a Flaky Scalp
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...