A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's make a frigging hat already!  (Read 1239 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 22, 2011 01:54:57 PM »

If you are one of those new knitters who is shying away from hats because they seem complicated, or they need special needles/skills then you are just like I was a few days ago, until I said "Ah what the heck, I am making a frigging hat." If you have a pair of straight needles and some yarn, know how to knit the basic stitch, and can knit two stitches together to decrease, then you can make a hat.

I made this with Lion Brand Homespun that I fell in love with at the store years ago, and never did anything with because I didn't think I could do it justice. This yarn is very forgiving; my stitches aren't very even and sometimes the tension went wonky, but you can't really tell because it's so curly. The pattern is basically this hat from I Wish I Was Knitting, but on straight size 10.5 needles (because that's what I had). I cast on 60 stitches like the instructions say, and knitted away for a while until I thought it was about the right length, then started decreasing in the pattern described. Toward the end I skipped the rows that don't decrease so it would be flatter on the top. I cut the yarn, leaving a sizable tail, pulled it through the last six stitches, and whip stitched down the sides to pull it together into a hat shape. Then I tugged at the hat a bit to make it a more pleasing shape (again this yarn was great for that, I could mold it pretty well). Voila! I made a hat!

If I can do it, you can do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
sum1smuma
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011 04:58:29 PM »

I soooo want to make a hat and now I must! I learned how to knit almost 2 weeks ago and haven't stopped. Shocked
My first infinity scarf (which is far too long but I do not care!) is made from the same yarn as your hat.

I will definitely try this pattern. Thanks for the encouragement and kick start I needed to branch out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011 09:11:30 AM »

That yarn is so beautiful! I think you did a lovely job. The shaping looks perfect! If you get around to buying some 16" circulars, it will be well worth it.  I've only made 3 hats now, the first 2 had a seam. Which is fine, especially in a fluffy yarn.
Let's see another one! Or, make a matching cowl. That would be pretty with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011 10:29:53 AM »

Thanks! I will definitely be making more, especially since my boy keeps wearing this flimsy cotton hat out in the snow and will only switch it out if I make him something warmer. This was partly a test just to see if I could do it.
Mmm, matching cowl... that would be very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011 11:42:20 PM »

I made one cowl and gave it to a friend; but I did wear it first! The great thing about a cowl is that it's harder to loose, and I think it keeps your neck and chest warmer, depending how deep you make it. Just start with about a 30 inch length, and decrease it gradually. You want it to fit over the head. You can even overlap the ends with buttons, but one circle would be harder to loose. I'm not so sure a boy would wear it!
  Get those 16" needles, 2 sizes if you can; like an 8 and a 10.5    Use those Coupons for them!
I finally got some after wishing I had them forever.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011 11:42:59 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

v0mich01
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011 08:48:55 AM »

That's me! The new knitter afraid of the hat! But guess I don't have any excuse anymore! Guess I'll have to get to it! Great job, thanks for the encouragement!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Monkey Mask
How to Make a Frog Mask
How to Make Chinese Opera Masks
How to Make a Bird Mask
How to Make a Batman Mask
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...