A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I just bought an Elna  (Read 6440 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juniparr
« on: January 12, 2010 11:53:34 AM »

Hi! Today I bought an Elna machine at a secondhand store. I've been searching the Internet for some information about it and I can't find much.

From what I can tell it's an Elna Jubile (or Jubilee) and it seems to have been made in the 1980's. It comes in a light wood cabinet. The machine is fully functioning but I would like to learn how to take it out of its cabinet so I can take it to my sewing classes and I can't tell how to take the bobbin out or how to thread it.

I can't tell the exact model of the brand. But it looks exactly like the machine being sold here: http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=92261121428269226&Store_id=492&page_id=23&Item_ID=2343

Any help you can provide me with would be appreciated. I would also like to purchase a manual if anyone knows the exact model of the machine and where I could find one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010 04:50:45 AM »

There is going to be a plaque or sticker on the machine with the model number.  Look around the area where the cord plugs into the machine, look at the back and the bottom/underside. This will tell you the model number and make getting a manual much easier.

There are going to be some bolts/screws that go through the platform that the machine rests on and up into the bottom of the machine.  Remove these and it should lift right out of the cabinet.  Do NOT loose the hardware.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
juniparr
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010 07:18:35 AM »

Thanks Sew Classic. I was able to get down on the floor last night and unhinge the machine. It came right off. Now to remember how it went back...

Now that I have it off the cabinet I will take a closer look at the tags and plaques on it. Yesterday I found nothing, but I will look more closely again.

Also the bobbin case doesn't want to come out (it's a top-load bobbin) is this normal? I've never worked with a top-load bobbin before.

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniparr
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010 09:19:56 AM »

Okay, I was able to read the plaque on the side. The numbers were very faint so I didn't see them at first. They say:

Type: 46

No.: 2692814-B23

Listed, 390-B

Hopefully this makes sense to anyone. From what I can tell it's a 46 Carina Jubilee? Although the machine doesn't say Carina or Jubilee (it says Jubile, but everywhere I search it just calls it Jubilee). If anyone knows anything about these machines please let me know. I have 30-days to return it and about a week or two to return it for a full refund. I want to take some sewing classes and I was hoping this would help, but I need a more newbie-friendly machine I think Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010 04:45:26 PM »

Looks like this??:

http://www.sewingmanuals.com/Sewing_Machine_Manuals/Sewing_Machine_Manual_Pics/Elna_Pics/Elna_500i.jpg

That's an Elna 500 Electronic class 46.

You can buy a download of the manual here: http://www.sewingmanuals.com/Sewing_Machine_Manuals/Elna.htm - just scroll down the page (NAYY)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Hack Your On-Board Flash
High Speed Photography
Group Portrait Photography Tips
Preventing or Removing Red Eye
Stop Motion Digital Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...