A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cutting with scissors is hard!  (Read 3749 times)
Tags for this thread: papercutting , silhouette  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

milkmaid01
« on: January 11, 2010 04:36:33 PM »

This was my first paper cutting project, and let me just say now that it was really hard! I have so much respect for this art now! Does anyone out there have a good recommendation for a pair of scissors that can get in to make very small, inner cuts, but doesn't kill your hands?

My plan is to make a grouping of ladies with lovely hats and hang them together.  She measures about 3 inches tall.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lotte_lou
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010 04:48:40 PM »

i love it. a set if these hanging would look really nice.

could you use a craft knife rather than scissors?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
milkmaid01
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010 04:53:22 PM »

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

I used a rather thick cardstock that I had hanging around, and tried to use a craft knife but found that I had to go over and over the cuts several times before it went through. Is this normal, or does it mean the knife wasn't sharp enough?  I wanted to try to do it the "old fashioned way" as well.  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010 04:54:13 PM by milkmaid01 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LeonardB
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010 05:35:16 PM »

Oh this is absolutely beautiful! I'm highly impressed with your level of skill with those scissors. And really good idea too.
The fact that your knife didn't cut smoothly just means it's not sharp enough. In the future you should try putting down newspaper beneath the cutting, and of course cut on a hard surface. The newspaper stops the paper tearing easily when you cut. Works for me anyway ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
papa justify

Will swap for panda art supplies or fabric!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010 05:47:14 PM »

You cut that out!?!? Wow, I thought from the thumbnail on the front page it was painted or silkscreened! Amazing work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010 06:00:48 PM »

Beautiful! I can't believe it's so small too! Did you find an image to follow, draw it yourself or just go for it and cut?

When cutting small things I actually have a pair of kid's scissors (ones with a point, not the safety scissors). They're cheap, small, and comfortable to hold. Embroidery scissors, which are small and have a sharp point, might work well too. You don't need a very expensive pair since you're using them for paper.
If you don't mind using a knife then that's probably your best bet. Just make sure you have a brand new blade.
Or... sheep shears. I'm only half joking  Tongue
Traditional Polish paper-cutting is done with sheep shears and is incredibly intricate. I've always wanted to try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NiamahNyx
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010 08:13:21 PM »

I'm personally fond of using manilla folders to cut papercraft type things out. They seem to be just the right thickness to not tear, but still be easy to cut with even a not quite sharp X-Acto. I'm sure there's all sorts of ways to pretty up the manilla... I just use them for making mono-types in printmaking so I wouldn't really know about that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiwiblue
Personal Swap encouraged

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010 08:18:51 PM »

Ive been thinking about doing this for awhile .

I was  thinking that if you use it as a stencil you'ed be able to do shirts pillow cases etc with freezer paper  I  Love the way yours turned out !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SEMPER IN FAECIBVS SVMVM,SOLE PROFNDVM VARIAT
milkmaid01
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010 08:25:02 PM »

Thanks so much for the encouraging words!  They just may get my fingers through making five more of these Smiley

LeonardB- I actually tried using a ceramic knife that I got for Christmas.  I'm thinking you're right about it being too dull, although the brand name was SHARP and supposedly it is "never supposed to dull."  I'll have to go out and get a good exacto knife, although it is a fun challenge to work with the scissors, and I find that in general I have more control over curved edges.  

N30Nb100d- I was inspired by some art I saw in an old Dover collection. And sheep shears?  Incredible!  I'm going to have to look that up Smiley

kiwiblue- Love the idea of taking it to the next level of stenciling. You can print on freeze paper too, right?  That would help a lot to have the outline right on the paper. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiwiblue
Personal Swap encouraged

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010 09:10:29 PM »

I usually print on regular paper then tape it over the freezer paper . cut out with exacto knife ..  then Iron it on the fabric shinny side down  blot the paint on with a sponge brush . be sure to put more paper between the layers of  fabric so it cant bleed through let it dry completely  before you peel off the freezer paper wala .

kiwiblue- Love the idea of taking it to the next level of stenciling. You can print on freeze paper too, right?  That would help a lot to have the outline right on the paper. 

[/quote]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SEMPER IN FAECIBVS SVMVM,SOLE PROFNDVM VARIAT
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Daniel Gross Talks About Dumb Money
Meet Author Jack Todd
Richard Paul Evans Talks About Grace
Matthew Van Fleet Reveals
Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter Talk About Chicken Cheeks
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...