A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dogs coughing or reverse sneezing?  (Read 4529 times)
Tags for this thread: dog , dog_health  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maise
« on: April 27, 2005 12:06:04 AM »

I know this isn't craft related, but I'm curious since there are a lot of pet owners out there if anyone else's dogs have this same problem. My dog Molly seems to start this strange coughing (or reverse sneezing as some have called it) when she gets excited or sometimes when she runs or after drinking. It is like a snorting because her mouth is shut. She's had this for a couple months, and I thought she was getting over it until the past couple days where started doing it again. I'm going to take her to the vet this week to get her checked out, but I wanted to see if others have seen this so I go in prepared to get her taken care of. I was filming her the other day as she was playing and being funny and caught her coughing/sneezing on video. I've uploaded it so maybe someone could help.

It's uploaded here: http://www.blackenedangel.com/molly/coughing.avi

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

livingin77
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005 01:24:41 AM »

In my experience, some dogs just do that when they get excited, though it definitely wouldn't hurt to get her checked out just in case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
designerdiva
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005 01:56:55 AM »

My cousin in law's chihuahua does that also. its sort of a genetic thing called reverse coughing. here is a link to a chihuahua breeder talking about it and her answer
http://groups.msn.com/RhondasChihuahuaBreeding/qapageonchihuahuas.msnw

Q,What is reverse coughing?
A,I've been ask why does my chihuahua cough like he is choking?Does he have kennel cough?Not likely the chihuahua does a cough (honking)he will most likely stand up,neck outstreched,making the noise,It looks and sound,s really bad but it is where your chihuahua's pallate becomes mis-alligned in his throat they make the noises to try to change the position of the pallate(reverse coughing is common in the chihuahua,

Q,What can I do when it does this?
A,Stay clam(when I first heard mine I thought it was dying I starting crying making it worse on him)You can rub under the neck and let them know it is ok,

Q.Can I pervent it?
A,No But you can watch and see what sets it off,(excited is one thing)(also running really hard) meeting new people or pets,

Q,Will it harm my pet?
A.Not reverse coughing(But you should check with your vet to make sure it is only reverse coughing & not something serious)"

Hope this helps some. I'm a dog owner and know how it feels to be worried about my little buster-boo Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soychicka
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005 05:36:11 AM »

i used to work at a vet, and to me, it looks like a collapsing trachea.  i know that it happens relatively often with bichons/poodles; both of mine have had that problem.  basically, what happens is some of the cartilege either stretches out or otherwise doesn't support the windpipe any more, so the trachea collapses in on itself.  it's something that corrects itself in a short time; the coughing is forcing air past that helps it reform the proper shape.  what i have done, however, when my puppies start hacking away is to gently massage their throat, kind of putting my fingers on both sides of the trachea and jiggling a little, VERY gently.

it's not anything you have to worry about rushing off to the vet immediately, unless the duration seems excessive, but the next time you're in there, be sure to mention it. 

btw, kudos on uploading the film to show what she's doing, and she's such a cuddlebug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maise
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005 10:54:00 AM »

thank you sooo much for your responses. i'm going to try massaging her throat next time she has a coughing attack and see if that helps. we usually try to comfort her by petting her and give her a chance to settle down. once the attack is over, she's fine, like nothing happened. we've seen other dogs do this at the dog park so its good to know its common and not something urgent.
thanks again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005 10:57:10 AM »

Conan does it too.  Its gotten so that its more disturbing to other people than it is to me.  Though sometimes there is a look of panic in his little eyes.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
DogGrrl
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005 10:46:50 PM »

I agree with everyone here.  It sounds so scary but usually not something to be too concerned about, but do tell your vet.  It is really common in little dogs but unfortunately, I am a trainer, not a vet so I can't tell you why  Sad  When it happens at daycare I usually try to ignore it unless it goes on for more than 10 seconds then I pick them up and bring them to a quiet room and try to calm them using some t-touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Picasso_blue_dog
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005 01:14:56 PM »

My chihuahua mix started doing this and she would be a bit panicked. We took her to the vet and they thought her throat had gotten scratched and she was put on a pain med and an antibiotic. It cleared right up. Apparantly her dog food was too big and she had scratched her throat. Reverse sneezes (or coughs) are very common in small dogs though. Always good to let you vet check it out.!!! GOod luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never eat more than you can lift---Miss Piggy
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005 08:57:34 AM »

My Betsy, a Shih tzu does that, too.  I used to have a cock-a-poo that did that.  There never seems to be any rhyme or reason to it.  Some timetimes she is playing on the carpet or hardwood floor, and sometimes she is just laying down or sleeping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MlleGouine

I love me sunglasses!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005 07:42:07 AM »

I have had two Chis, and now a Chi-Weenie.  Only my Chis ever did this.  It's very common, although it's very frightening to go through for them and you.  Similiar to what the others said, just remain calm, keep any other animals/pets or kids away from them until they calm down.

We pick Bella up and hold her with her head on our shoulder and slowly stroke over her head and all the way down her back and whisper calming things to her.  She's usually over it by the 30 second point.

But do go the vet to have it checked to be sure.  Especially since your Chi is rubbing his/her snout on the ground.  I've never seen that in any of Chi. . . just to be sure it's not a collapsed trach.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Think your job is hard?  Try teaching French to 12-14 year olds in America in 2007. . .in the Deep South.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair How To: Victory Rolls
How to Curl Your Hair Using a Flat Iron
Hairapy Ep 108: Leah
How to Maintain Your Neckline
How to Use Hair Gel
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...