A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embossing machines!?  (Read 3206 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kayleeismynamehey
« on: January 11, 2010 05:01:13 AM »

I feel compelled to emboss, but I have no idea what's best to do it! I'd like to not spend tons of money, but what does everyone use or recommend?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010 05:11:30 AM »

Since you are looking for embossing machines I am going to make a guess you want to use the embossing plates that are made for Sizzix and Cuttlebug. If I am wrong just let me know. Smiley

There are several choices now for embossing. Sizzix just released a new machine called the Texture Boutique. The only thing it does is emboss. You can use a coupon at Michaels and get it really cheap for around $20. Here's a link: http://www.sizzix.com/category/Texture+Boutique+Embossing+Machine

I don't know if it takes the Fiskars plates because those are pretty wide. If you want to use the gorgeous Fiskars plates you need a wide machine. The Cuttlebug and Big Kick/Big Shot will take the Fiskars plates. I have a lot of them so I definitely know. Smiley

Big Kick and Big Shot are the same machine just different colors and different names. You can use a coupon for Cuttlebug and Big Shot's at your craft stores.

My go to machine is my plain little Red Sizzix. The one that weighs a billion pounds. I love it because it's quick and easy. I use all my Cuttlebug folders in it. A lot of times you can find one on Freecycle. It does not take the bigger folders like Fiskars so that is a huge drawback. It does emboss beautifully and IMO embosses better than the other machines.

If you really want to be frugal you can use a rolling pin. I am not joking about this. You lightly mist your paper, lay it on the embossing plate and roll with the pin. Easy peasy but you need good arm strength. I don't have that so that's why I have machines. Smiley

Another frugal alternative is a pasta machine. SplitCoastStampers has some great tutorials on how to use a pasta machine. Once again you can't use the larger embossing plates.

You can also use brass stencils in these machines too including the original Red Sizzix.

I know this was long but I hope it helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
kayleeismynamehey
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010 08:05:00 AM »

You are a scrapbooking godesend! You just gave me all the information I wanted in one reply. Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013 09:24:25 PM »

When you say the Fiskars plates, do you mean the new ones that come with the Fuse system?  Because I had wondered if they could be used with either the Big Shot or the Cuttlebug.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
lylacfey
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013 05:28:10 AM »

I mean the old embossing plates from Fiskars. I have heard mixed reviews on using the Fuse plates with the other die cut machines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013 07:25:44 AM »

Darn - I was hoping it would be possible - those combos they have look pretty cool, but I have the Big Shot and a Cuttlebug already and am not interested in getting another machine - not unless it is a digital cutting machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birchbox Sneak Peek: December 2013
How to Use a Makeup Sponge to Apply Foundation
How To Make Your Own Face Mask At Home Using Fruit Juices And Sugar
How to Do a Marbleized Manicure
How to Do a Great Gatsby Look For Halloween
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...