A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: So very Cherry, Retro inspired dress  (Read 2457 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2010 04:58:40 AM »

ok, this dress has history...I made a halter dress last year and I was hot in it, but it has some fitting issues, and as a result I killed it (RRRRRRRRRRRRRIP)

So now I saved the skirt and made a new bodice...inspired by 1940s fashion (post-war)

What do you think? (excuse my hair, it's a dork)

it's a simplicity project runway pattern, but I made flutter sleeves (with my new narrow hem foot- wooot!) instead of fitted ones like the pattern has.

I know this is empire waist and the true 40s fashion has the bodice going all the way down to the natural waist to create an hourglass silhouette.......I can't seem to find a pattern that has this!!!!!!! I want to draft one, but I don't know wth I am doing! LOL  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010 05:53:22 AM »

I think this is my very favorite thing you've posted so far (and I adore your clothes!). It looks fantastic. I especially love the little gathers under the bustand the flutter sleeves. I wouldn't worry about what it's "supposed" to look like, I think the empire waist looks great on curvy, busty ladies like us. It's one of my favorite styles to wear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010 06:23:48 AM »

I think this is my very favorite thing you've posted so far (and I adore your clothes!). It looks fantastic. I especially love the little gathers under the bustand the flutter sleeves. I wouldn't worry about what it's "supposed" to look like, I think the empire waist looks great on curvy, busty ladies like us. It's one of my favorite styles to wear.

Thanks! I am glad I can get someone to relate to my style! I was not sure about the gathers and thought maybe I should have just tried a dart...but you make me feel better about it. I think a dart might have been a fail b/c the bust is round shaped at the hemline and it prob would not have sat right  Huh It might be flattering though...well I am sure there will be a next time to find out!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010 06:25:04 AM by Psycho Sue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010 06:40:50 AM »

This is beautiful! I also love the gather under the bust and the sleeves are perfect! It's also such a great length!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

horrormaedchen
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010 12:12:57 AM »

This is very cute. I think you can get away with the shorter bodice. It still looks authentic enough to me. Plus everyone will look at YOU in the dress anyway and not even notice.
If you want to try making it with a longer bodice though, maybe you should elongate the bodice pattern pieces. It looks like the bodice is loose fitting so it shouldn't be too tight (in case the pattern does narrow down towards the waist) and you can always put in a dart to shape it a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010 03:45:49 AM »

This is very cute. I think you can get away with the shorter bodice. It still looks authentic enough to me. Plus everyone will look at YOU in the dress anyway and not even notice.
If you want to try making it with a longer bodice though, maybe you should elongate the bodice pattern pieces. It looks like the bodice is loose fitting so it shouldn't be too tight (in case the pattern does narrow down towards the waist) and you can always put in a dart to shape it a bit.
I stared at the pattern piece for a while and I wanted to attempt exactly this! The bust piece ends directly under my "girls." I had to add about 5/8" to the bottom it to get it there. I would need to add 8 inches to get to my natural waist. I chickened out when I saw how much it needed to be elongated. Then I freaked out when I realized I would need bust darts, and waist darts, then the skirt pattern would need to be altered because it tapers up to the bust.....i SO chickened out!  Embarrassed I need to gather some confidence and draft this and make a muslin..I wish I had a sewing buddy here to help me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010 08:20:36 AM »

I'd love to be your sewing buddy! Too bad I live 1/2 a country away from you. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I added this dress to my profile as a favorite.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010 11:06:02 AM »

I'd love to be your sewing buddy! Too bad I live 1/2 a country away from you. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I added this dress to my profile as a favorite.  Cheesy

awe, thanks Baby Doll!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SlyFox
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010 02:11:47 PM »

I wish I had a sewing buddy here to help me!

First the dress is adorable and you look great in it. I too am a busty gal so I feel your pain when it comes to bodice stuff. I have also been teaching myself to sew since end of May last year when I got my first sewing machine. I also don't have a sewing buddy but I have found what I like to refer to as my sewing bible... It is called "Reader's Digest New Complete Guide to Sewing (Step-by-step techniques for making clothes and home accessories)" I really recommend it (or another like it) I got mine from Barnes and Nobles it was a little pricey at about 35 dollars but its 400 pages (has great illustrations) and also has specific sections on how to enlarge or make patterns smaller, tailoring, stitches and seams and tons more other chapters, eve hasn a whole list of fabric from A-Z and what the fabric is with descriptions and pictures (I had no idea what Buckram was for instance but it called for it in one of my patterns and it was in my book with a description so I knew when I went to the fabric store just what I needed).

They have it onsale at Amazon now for 23 dollars and it has great reviews there as well. If you're interested in checking it out here is the link http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Sewing-Readers-Digest/dp/0762104201/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263506859&sr=1-1

(I neither work for Amazon or Reader's digest heheh just as a new sewer who is also in the journey alone without a sewing buddy I think the book might be really helpful for anyone else as a surrogate buddy).

Anyway I think you did a beautiful job!!

SlyFox
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010 02:12:44 PM by SlyFox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist http://wists.com/Sly-Fox

Like my crafts? I Would LOVE to do a personal swap! PM me if you're interested!

My Craft Blog: http://slyfoxcrafts.wordpress.com/

Swap Stalk Me:
http://slyfoxcrafts.wordpress.com/crafty-preferencesgifty-ideas-for-swaps-etc/
atomickim
Retro Gal

D.I.Y, the only way to go!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010 05:45:43 PM »

i love everything you do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Ways to Wear a Jumpsuit
Urban Outfitters Says ‘Bloody’ Kent State Sweatshirt Was “Vintage”
Best Fall Jackets
Tips For Tweaking Your Wardrobe For A Quick Fall Fashion Update
Back to School Lookbook
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...