A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Portfolio Question  (Read 1097 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melissaurus
« on: January 09, 2010 02:24:02 PM »

Alright, so I'm planning on applying to a number of art schools in the near future here, and thus need some sort of...carrying case, presentation-ey case thing for my artwork (portfolio, or what have you) Plus, I live in the middle of nowhere, so it would have to be rather durable so my art gets there in one piece. Undecided

The thing is, they're hella expensive. And quite frankly I'm not willing to pay 25 dollars for a skinny, large box of cardboard, and I sure as heck am not dishing out more for leather ones or anything, so I though HEY! Why not make my own? I'd probably score bonus points with the people looking at it, too, possibly.

Tongue So does anyone have ANY ideas, tips, suggestions on how I would go about creating a portfolio on my own?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bonesaw
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010 04:56:29 PM »

The safe and pro way to go is to make a photo portfolio, take photos of all your artwork and print it out and slap them in a photo portfolio that coast around $7 to $10.

They are small and not so expensive, Ive seen ppl going to art school with garbage bag's full of art stuff and they drag big portfolios all over downtown for the schools evaluation.
you don't have to show them the real deal, they just need to see the work you have done.

Spending some cash on a good portfolio is leet because it is acid free and it will last you a long time and it will keep your artwork safe over time.

But if you do have stuff you don't plan on hanging on to for long or just need something cheap and fast here is a video on how to make a portfolio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzjBRz5eaDs

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Illustrations, paintings and other knick knacks.

Party time all the time.

christianpena.etsy. com
stereotypical
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010 05:55:24 PM »

I did this last year, and let em tell you, it is a pain. Check with the school you are applying too. I had some that wanted me to bring originals, others just a CD, while some wanted prints, in a case. So in the end, I had three types of portfolios... not counting the one I had on the web. NEVER EVER ship originals away. Always go with them. Make an appointment to have it viewed in person, if they want originals.

Also, for the photo ones, make sure you have someone who knows what their doing, do it. Do you have a photography teacher at school?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geckochan
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010 08:19:45 AM »

Good point from stereotypical on checking with the individual schools on their requirements.

I definitely agree with bonesaw that in most general cases a photo portfolio is a good way to go. They need examples of your work and thought process, but don't always need to see the original piece. Photos --> nice plain background (got a white wall available?), lots of light, and attention to white balance. If there's an art dept tech at your school, they could probably help, and you could get a whole bunch of pieces done in one go. All of this you may know already, so apologies if that's unnecessary info!
Keep it simple and professional, printed on nice paper, leaving the white border from the paper rather than cutting and pasting, and including information like title, media, and dimensions. Plus this way you have something ready and easy to do more of if you need to mail off a few, and/or are able to leave them with a school if need be. Again, sorry if this is stuff you know, since photo presentation wasn't the original question!

Good luck! ^_^
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010 08:22:05 AM by geckochan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lexa
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010 01:08:04 PM »

If you do go to art school, a portfolio review is not the only case in which you will need a portfolio. Most classes will require you to bring one to class. You may have up to 3 different portfolios in a semester. You can invest in a more expensive one now, because you will get continually use from it. But I like the idea of making your own. That will definitely score you points in a portfolio review. But that one would only be reserved for reviews only. I wouldn't want that to get destroyed bringing to class. I bought cheap ones at Michaels with a coupon because I went through so many.

When I was submitting to art school everyone wanted slides. And here I thought those were extinct  Smiley I personally believe that an in-person portfolio review is better. I think it's more fair that way. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Monna
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010 12:05:44 AM »

I graduated from art school about 4-ish years ago, but they were still talking about slides then! One class did have us burn CDs, but it seems like very few places want them yet; even gallerys seem to prefer slides. The one exception might be digital media.

It depends on your medium, too; a photographer can fit all theirs in a briefcase, while a sculptor would certainly need a photo book...And for dragging art to and from class, you really do need to have something more durable to avoid your art getting damaged, so it might be a good idea to invest in a better case. Though ReadyMade Magazine (www.readymade.com), which has *tons* of economical/green/artsy DIY projects did an article about homemade portfoilios ( http://www.readymade.com/projects/article/cardboard_portfolio and http://www.readymade.com/projects/article/cardboard_backpack ) that looked pretty sturdy.

I've toyed with the idea of a homemade book portfolio; making a portfolio into a work of art itself Smiley a lot of writers and photographers go this route, but there's no reason any artist couldn't do it. The plus is that each protfolio would be unique, but also time-consuming. But if you're only concerned about one or two schools, it might be a fun project Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~R.I.P. Ofc Durman~
Hika-chan
Self Appointed Queen of the Leemars

A Mom enjoying my own adventures in Craftsterland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010 01:44:34 AM »

I'm currently in school for this and I have two portfolios. One canvas and one plastic. I have to have them for class. And they're both 23x 30 I believe. We do a lot of large projects.  If you want to make one yourself for class needs, I would suggest picking fabric that can withstand the rain and not get your projects drenched. Also make sure it has a zipper or a fold over flap. Dont have an open side without a way of closing it, because if it gets turned upside down then your art has just hit a dirty art floor or worse a wet street. I would also make sure its large, well depending on the classes you will be taking.  My canvanse one has tons of pockets on the outside which is wonderful. I can put pencils and erasers and junk in it. That way I dont have to take my book bag if I dont want to. And I would make handles as well as a shoulder strap. Its just nice to have both.
For a professional portfolio I would check with the schools about what they want to see and how they want to see it. I know all the schools I have looked into were VERY specific about this.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists http://=http://www.wists.com/Hika-chan/
blog http://motherinwonderland.blogspot.com/

I love to swap ATCs. Let me know if you're interested.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Origami Peacock
How to Create Origami Star
How to Create an Origami Christmas Tree
How to Create a Santa Origami
How to Create Origami Dragon
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...