A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mario Party!!  (Read 7252 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , mario , papier_mache  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

manic_me
« on: January 10, 2010 07:14:28 PM »

I wasn't aware of this site around Halloween, but I'm proud of how everything turned out so I'm showing it now Smiley

My boys wanted to be Mario and Luigi for Halloween, but I wanted their little sister to match them, and then we had to get our dog in on the action too. So here's my own little Mario Party.

I made everything but the shirts their all wearing, and the boy's mustaches. For the overalls, I  used the bodice of a dress, traced their pants for a pattern, and attached. Those were easy. The hats were pretty easy too, I measured their heads for the band, cut out a big circle and gathered it into the band, and cut out a semi circle for the brim. I found white gloves at the dollar store and painted black lines on the backs of the hands, but you can't see them in the pictures. Our dog is a koopa troopa, and I used a dog halloween costume pattern to make his. The pattern was supposed to make a lion, cow and other animals but I just needed it for the body. I made my own shell pattern, stuffed it and attached it to the top, then I sewed on some felt eyes.

My daughter's costume wasn't really hard, but it was the most time consuming. I think it worked well because she's really short lol. I found some punch balloons, and just paper mached it a whole bunch until it was hard. It sounds easy, but the balloons kept popping under the weight of the paper mache. I cut holes in the top, bottom and sides for her arms, legs, and head. We spray painted it black, glued some felt eyes to it, and I made some shoe covers for her feet. Oh, I also made her a wick hat. I used grey felt, so it was pretty stretchy and easy. I measured her head for the band and traced a bowl to get the top, and sewed it all together with some stiff stuff (don't know the name) to help hold up the wick. I glued a bunch of yarn together, then glued it to the top of the hat and painted the tip red so she would look lit.

The boys had their bags behind them, but you can see my daughter holding her's. I made all 3 of them trick or treat bags out of felt that look like the coin blocks in the game. It was a lot of details, but it was tons of fun, and everyone kept stopping them to get a better look. I think the best thing was that everyone thought our dog was a stuffed animal, until he'd run over and lick them lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NH822

"Every day is better than the last!" -Logan, age 6

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010 07:21:31 PM »

WOW!  this is great!!!  I think I like your daughter's costume best, but it is tough to decide!!!  Can't wait to show my kids!!  They'll love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues."
-Elizabeth Taylor
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010 07:33:05 PM »

How cool is that! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
darkmule
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010 08:00:34 PM »

Those all look fabulous!  I think I love the dog's costume the best, but they're all too good to decide.  And the bags are genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do a lot of needlework but dabble in most everything else.
Ex_Gratia

I sew therefore I am

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010 08:04:25 PM »

I love that you incorporated the whole family! Even the dog! Great Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy please! I'd love to have feedback from other crafters!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFlippantFlapper?ref=ss_profile
TeenyBunny
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010 08:07:08 PM »

Those are great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Began teaching myself to sew and design in Aug '09...one dress at a time!

12/2009 My Etsy shop is now open!
http://www.TeenyBunny.etsy.com
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/TeenyBunny
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TeenyBunny
NEW Blog: http://teenybunnyfashion.blogspot.com/
prttynpnk
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010 08:14:15 PM »

This is so awesome. The fact that you didn't go with the obvious girl (Princes peach) for your daughter and made her a bob-omb is just freakin' amazing! And your dog! And the treat bags! You totally rocked Halloween.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Esjay82
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010 08:28:56 PM »

cute! i really like what u did for all the outfits your daughter looks really cute! haha! and i totally love the dog!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noooitaremybirthday
Tutorial Contributor

You don't have to type the whole thing...Call me Nooo :D

I've gone through like 5 gluesticks this week...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010 08:34:22 PM »

I love this! Mario and Luigi are cute enough, but the bomb and koopa are icing on the cake! You did an AMAZING job (^_^) V
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010 10:15:19 PM »

I love it!! This is the cutest family costume I have ever seen. Your daughter is so stinkin' adorable!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Chic Curly Updo
How to Style a Festive Bow Hairdo
How to Do a Vintage Beehive Hair Style
Attention Blondes: Get the New Ombre Hair That Everyone Wants
How to Get a Braided Crown with Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...