A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How would I do this crazy pleating?  (Read 1751 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ludicrouslouisa
« on: January 10, 2010 07:05:25 PM »

I have no idea where this picture of a skirt is from, but

how was the skirt pleated exactly? The pleats aren't very crisp, is it just unironed box pleats? small gathers combined with pleats? Just gathered in some sections?
Thanks in advance for  your help Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010 08:15:20 PM »

It looks like there could be gathers in there. It also looks like it might be a 2 or 3 or more circle skirt. You know how a circle skirt you use your waist as the radius for the waist circle, well for 2 circles you would use 1/2 your waist so when you get the 2 circles it equals your waist. But I don't know what is going on there. Or maybe part circle part soft box pleats?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
itsamutiny
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010 02:17:31 AM »

it looks like it's mostly gathers, but it's not gathered evenly. like, there's an inch of heavy gathers, then maybe two inches where there's no gathers at all, then a bunch more gathers, then none at all, all the way around the skirt. that skirt is super cute, btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010 04:41:23 AM »

I would say that it's a two circle skirt, with 1-1.5" box pleats, with ~2" in between.  That 2" is gathered very tightly.  If you look at the last pleat on the right hip, you can sort of see something along those lines going on.  And then the petticoat helps, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
thea_athene
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010 02:45:44 AM »

If I can posit an alternative, I think it's not gathered at all!
It's definitely a double circle skirt as everyone else says, but I think because of the way it falls, it's not actually gathered at the waistband, just cut so that it fits exactly.

Having said that, it may be easier to use small gathers to get an exact fit, rather than trying to get it exactly right without.

Good Luck! And it is really cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marieC
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010 06:40:32 PM »

The weight of the fabric is going to be important to get this to sit right.  It needs a fluid fabric to drap nicely, but it needs to be heavy enough to hold itself in place.  Cotton or the like (stiffer) is just going to stick out at angles and bunch.  The lining fabric could help alot with this too.

I'd practice a bit with the fabric and some pins on a mannequin or yourself (just pin it to what you already have on) to get the technique (gathers vs no gathers) down right.  Are you going to make the petticoat too?  That seems important to display the cool waves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
Seonaid
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010 03:52:32 PM »

I have and idea! It's like and Elizabethan ruff. Lots of different instructions here http://www.elizabethancostume.net/ruffmake.html The box pleats and double box pleats are what's needed for those long tube like pleats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaledrina
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010 11:53:45 PM »

The pleating doesn't look too complicated, you'd just need a really perfectly tailored petticoat underneath for that extra "oomph." It looks like the pleats are tucked in every 4". And remember with pleating that precision will save you! And don't forget to make the back of the skirt a bit longer than the front, since your bum will rearrange the fabric in all sorts of lovely ways. Cheesy

You should start searching craigslist and ebay for a cheap dressform if you don't already have one. They're a lifesaver and it is really helpful to plan out for complicated skirts so you don't have to take it on and off a million times (with dozens of pin stabbings).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenorivers
That's Sew Lauren

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010 03:58:33 PM »

On a bit of a side note you could totally make that shirt with this: http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/jj

but take off the frills and make a pussy bow collar - attach it to the sides of the collar on the pattern. Make it nice and big.
If you don't know how to make the bow then an easy way is to literally cut two big rectangles and tie them in a bow if the fabric is light enough or you could shape the ends more into a 'point'

Just if you wanted the whole outfit Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dr. Michael Widlanski on His Book Battle for Our Minds
Matt Myklusch on the Message Behind the Jack Blank Adventures Series
Walter Stahr on His Book Seward
Philippa Gregory Discusses Her Audiobook Changeling
Two Foot Fred Official Song and Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...