A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,787
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarnholic Seeking to Start a Support Group  (Read 28017 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Horse Power
« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2005 09:46:19 AM »

As Vy once pointed out, we must remember that Yarn Will Always Be On Sale. Somewhere.

That's true. lol. That would make a good motto.

I was actually going to go over there this morning after I did my other errands, but I didn't, mainly because I was thinking if I got started, where would I stop?  I am home getting ready to knit on a checkerboard blanket I started yesterday, instead.
 Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2005 10:17:03 AM »

Hooray Horse Power! Your self control rocks far harder than mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
Horse Power
« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2005 12:02:49 PM »

Cheesy  .....   but for how long?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

Save your forks, there's pie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2005 03:53:52 PM »

Very true. 30% isn't that good. Now if it were 75%, then I'd have to think about it. 

I haven't bought any yarn in over a month. Not sure on the exact day but I think June?  And I'm slowly decreasing my stash.

I have big plans for when I get down to a few skeins.  Big Big Plans
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patriautism
« Reply #194 on: August 03, 2005 08:21:17 PM »

Horse Power --- Hey, where do you live? My Joann's is moving too! And by the way, when I broke down and bought some yarn (It's okay if it's discounted right??) The price tag was missing so they made up a price and gave me like %70 off. So I got a ball of landscapes for a dollar something---and I needed it to finish a purse! So just go in and be extra nice, it looked like they had to deal with cranky old ladies all day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amey
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2005 08:42:38 PM »

As Vy once pointed out, we must remember that Yarn Will Always Be On Sale. Somewhere.

And there will always be beautiful yarn. 

I had to remind myself of that several times when I saw fabric sales and I had a decent stash AND hadn't sewn in over 5 months.  I did NOT need to add to my stash more fabric that wouldn't get used.  Cute fabric comes along every year.

And gosh - what might be below acrylic?  Dog hair?

Oh, and we have at least 4 steps:

1. Admit addiction. Post on your blog with disconcertingly honest pictures of your yarn stash -- every last bit of it, and count each ball and post that number for the world to see. Then state as follows: "I, [username], have a yarn addiction problem and I want to stop it."

2. Take the pledge: You will not buy new yarn -- not a single ball or hank or skein -- until your stash is reduced by at least HALF (hence, the ball-count in step 1). NO MATTER HOW CHEAP IT IS. NO MATTER HOW LOVELY IT IS. NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU LOVE THE COLOR. NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU FEAR THAT THE COLOR/YARN WILL BE DISCONTINUED. NO NEW YARN, PERIOD. Depending on the size of your stash, you may wish to pledge to a higher threshold (e.g., 75%) before you may allow yourself to purchase new yarn.

3. All setbacks shall be divulged on the thread and blog.

4. All successful stashbusting projects shall be posted on blog and/or linked to the thread.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annkari
« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2005 03:09:24 AM »

Yarn Will Always Be On Sale. Somewhere.

I had to work at a yarn store for over a year and see all the sales we had until I realized this was actually true!

It's still pretty hard for me to refrain from buying more yarn ... I bought one ball of Lana Grossa's Quick on Monday, but it was for a thank you gift and it's already finished. Now I'm back to my old habit of starting several projects without finishing any of them.  Sad

Right now, I'm working on this scarf I started last year:

The yarn is cahmere+ by Lana Grossa. Let's hope I can finish this one in time for winter (2005!).  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Neliamne
« Reply #197 on: August 04, 2005 04:04:15 AM »

annkari- how did you work at a yarn store for a whole year and bring home a paycheck?  I would have had to quit after 2-3 weeks...
I should probably think about cutting down my stash, but it's all so beautiful, and I have such a bad track record of ripping projects out mid-knitting...
Right now I'm trying to figure out how to store all of my yarn...the rolly plastic set of drawers is full, the under the bed box is full...and I've got at least one shoebox that's currently residing in my entertainment center...
wow, I really am addicted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annkari
« Reply #198 on: August 04, 2005 04:38:37 AM »

Neliamne: There actually were some months when I nearly spent all of the money I earned at the LYS!  Cheesy But don't forget the employee dicount ... and I soon realised that if I kept on buying huge amounts of yarn, hubby would have to leave the apartment to make room for my evergrowing stash!  Grin

As for storing your stash: a great idea I found on craftster was to use some of your yarn to make (felted) bags to store yare in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Horse Power
« Reply #199 on: August 04, 2005 05:43:25 AM »

Donutgirl ~ You are doing GREAT! Over a month! I am so impressed!  Grin

Lasandri ~ I have to say it....that's a beautiful and really unique colorway. I love it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use The Blender Interface
How to Navigate in Blender
How to Load & Save in Blender
How to UV Map in Blender
How to Use Basic Key Framing and IPO Curves in Blender
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...