A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarnholic Seeking to Start a Support Group  (Read 28349 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

Save your forks, there's pie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2005 02:38:54 PM »

Updated stash photo, since my recent purchase and now w/ possibly better lighting.

Here are my babies (resting comfortably w/ my other obsession--old cookbooks).  They don't look menacing, but really they taunt me.

You can't tell but I did use quite a bit of that big ball on the far right last week.  I'm making some improvement.  A teensy bit at least
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 10:58:23 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

yahaira
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2005 08:59:12 PM »

Im terrible at crocheting (saying it as if she has really tried at it).  I should say I was a terrible student.

I sucked it up and knitted with it today, it feels nasty but its knitting up better. 

Would eucalan help soften it? would anything help soften it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

Save your forks, there's pie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2005 09:27:51 PM »

Sugar and Cream is what I used when I first was learning to knit and from what I remember, it got softer (a little at least) the more it was worked with.  And after washing with a ton of fabric softener.

I started a blanket w/ sugar and cream.  I don't know what I was smoking
THIS ROCKS   Logged

me_and_a_gun18
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2005 09:34:33 PM »

i admit, it is tempting to buy yarn, but my mom has so much of it, i feel i need to help her use it up, but when the furry yarn goes on sale, i will have a huge problem! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we are like the living dead
yahaira
« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2005 08:28:56 AM »

so I demoted myself to cotton member (its too emotionally scarring if I go down to acrylic!)  I bought three skeins of yarn this weekend.  the evidence is up on my site sigh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
yahaira
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2005 07:01:18 PM »

so apparently we inspired an opposing group, that wants to continue to buy yarn!

take a look here.

I thought it was funny, especially the part where if you decrease your stash you are out of the ring.  I was confused at first cause I was looking through different knitting rings and I found that one.  I thought it was a coincidence until I saw a date and then finally saw what the group was about (I thought they were stash busting as well by the name) .  I think it's interesting that they are mostly crocheters (whats the relation there I wonder)

So now I call for more people to join our ring!  we cant let them win, no we cant! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2005 07:11:59 PM »

i have like 3-4 big tubs full of yarn, but hey it's not all my fault! Now all my family knows that I adore knitting and crocheting, so they - knowing little to nothing of the craft - buy tons of it for me. Plenty of it is rug yarn which I don't use ever...Granted, I haven't done much to stop it, but uh, I also have one large bin that my boyfriend bought most of through my wishes, (tho at the time I was new to knitting and really didnt know what to get so it's collected up)...anyway, I have too much to count and I only have a picture of the stuff that's not in the bin....My aunt and uncle got it for me as a gift and it's mostly rug yarn.

Still trying to figure out what to do with it. Most of my stash is vintage (I just aquired quite a bit more recently due to my mom's estate sale findings and making me go with her to help choose the next large lot to buy) Anyway, I have about 3 times the amount shown above.

I'm somewhat of a yarnaholic. Wink Gettin' better tho! Mostly cause I dont have a job and so others are generous to give me what I crave *insert crazy face*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
Keridiana
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2005 07:31:42 PM »

i think humblestumble is the only one to approach my skein count.

Yahaira, that's freakin' hilarious. I thought when that lady brought beer to the meeting that totally there should be a separate group if what you want to do is reduce your stash... guess someone read my mind. 

I see what you mean - it's confusing.  I don't quite get this:

"To fight this web movement, we are establishing the Yarn Addicts Unite Web Ring and Web Ring Site. The purpose of this web ring is to allow all of us who suffer from yarn addiction and the need to acquire more yarn (even orange/red/purple variegated just because you never know when you will need it!) to find kindred souls who understand and relate to the disease...yes, addicition to yarn is a disease, one which is incurable!"

In other words, the reasoning behind fostering their addiction is a sense of defeatism as to a possible cure!  If we *REALLY* "understood" and "related" we would know that it is "incurable"!! I, for one, am not so ready to give up on a cure.  Besides, I know it's kind of for fun, but I do wish they didn't think it was so funny to pose as 'rivals' to our 'movement.'  God, we're just trying to live our lives by our own ideas; why do they have to piss on our rather humble parade?  We didn't, after all, include in our manifesto anything about spreading our message of yarn stash whittling, yet they are actively saying they want to 'counter' our 'movement.'  I feel so unnecessarily assailed.

I'm reading the blog, http://cityofcrochet.blogspot.com/ (the founder of the ring, it seems?): 

" Yarn ads on a Yarnaholics Unanonymous LOL
The yarn stash gods are smiling and laughing down at the poor little souls who are trying to decrease their stash! I find it highly ironic that on the Yarnaholics Unanonymous web ring the Google ads that have appeared are for YARN!!! I do believe that defeats the purpose of their site teeheehee -"

First of all, she is spending waaaay too much time at our Yarnaholics Unanonymous site.  Is she a closet?  Second, I'm already an atheist, but I certainly do not believe in yarn stash gods.  Thirdly, google ads do not "defeat the purpose" of the site.  How so?  Unfortunately, we forgot the first step of any 12-step addiction program is DENIAL.  Hee hee hee hee!  Looking now at the http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7754 (linked from City of Crochet), here are some excellent examples of denial at work:

"I don't have a problem with my yarn! I love it and it loves me! I need my yarn and it needs me! Isn't that a bit of an oxymoran [SIC] anyhows? How can a person have a yarn addiction? That is totally insane!"

"They only have 4 members! But it looks like they just started the ring..."  "Well that's because there is no such thing as a yarn addiction!!! DUH! The 4 that joined probably joined because they don't know about Crochetville and had no other place to hang out!!!"

"Okay; I'll admit I'm addicted to yarn, but I wouldn't say that it's a "problem."  Like so many of you, I NEED my yarn! I need to have yarn around me, even if I don't use it."

"How can anyone be addicted to yarn. It is so soft, and warm."

"Oh please, that is one ring you will NEVER see me signed up with. Addiction? I think not. Love-yes, obsession-perhaps. I was in Stashbusters for 17 days (okay for 7 I was on vacation) and it killed me. The yarn buying gives me instant gratification. ...It's now my one vice and darn it, I'm not giving it up!"

"NOOOOOOOOO I am NOT addicted!! Obsessed maybe tho lol"

"No way could I ever quit buying yarn cold turkey.  It's hard enough for me to link it to my dieting! I'm not tempted to cheat with food but I'm tempted every day with yarn."

God of yarn stashes, if you do exist, save me from your followers.
Wink  Wink  Wink  Wink  Wink  Wink  Wink
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005 07:50:23 PM by Keridiana » THIS ROCKS   Logged
yahaira
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2005 09:59:56 PM »

that's hilarious, I never even heard of crochetville or whatever that site is called.  must be because I dont know where else to hang out, nevermind that im on craftster and oh i have a life. for some reason these people piss me off, dont they get the tongue and cheek of our little ring?  im sure they are joking as well but it seems so meanspirited.  well let them waste their money and time buying yarn, while the rest of us get to use our yarn to actually knit stuff (doesnt seem to be that much knitting going on in that blog) and then buy more yarn!

are they going to start on the posters in the startitis discussion? " oh we want to continue starting projects and not finishing them, why would these people try to ever finish anything?"  kinda counterintuitive...

anyway apparently they love your stuff on that forum so who knows!

humblestumble welcome! i know all about the gifted yarn trust me.  i've never seen rug yarn (or have i?) where do you get that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
Keridiana
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2005 07:57:13 AM »

humblestumble, does rug yarn mean for latch hooking?

yahaira, i was also quite peeved about the feeling of meanspiritedness.  and yes, their reasoning is on its face very fallacious.  i think now that it was that they felt some mental panic at conceiving of the term 'addiction' (i.e., the word obsession they could deal with), and so felt that what we said was a personal attack, and they all snowballed into each other.  never mind that we went out of our way to say that no one has to necessarily agree with any of the listed 'reasons'  for stashcontrol.  i really don't care if they want to build up their stash, and i would never meet someone who stashes and feel that they are somehow offensive people! i think we are a pretty humble little bunch. Smiley  besides, someone with 150+ skeins (i.e., me) really is in no position to lecture other people! Smiley

« Last Edit: June 10, 2005 08:00:33 AM by Keridiana » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chinese Condiment, Raw Sauces, Seasoning, and Recipe
Chinese Food FAQ
How to Make a Chinese Food Meal Plan
Common Chinese Food Raw Sauces and Ingredients
How to Cut Chicken Meat into Strips and Triangle Shapes
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...