A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarnholic Seeking to Start a Support Group  (Read 26656 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alligator
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2005 07:21:37 AM »

Hello,

I have been reading through this thread and I think that I must join, My stash is not as big as some but that is only because I am overseas and on a tight budget (and I don't think yarn that is half-way around the world should count). 

I, Alligator, am a Yarnaholic!

Part of my problem is the plethora of beautiful yarn available here!  In my hometown in Alaska we only very recently got a lys, in fact it was only a month or two before I left that we had anywhere to buy yarn except for Joanne's!  Shipping to Alaska can be an adventure, and I only learned to knit last year so my stash had remained under control...

Now I am living in New Zealand and I just love it here,, in the city where I live there are 5 yarn stores!  FIVE!!!  It is wonderful, and all those famous New Zealand sheepies makes for heaps of lovely New Zealand wool.  How can a girl resist?  I try to only buy for specific projects, and remind myself that any yarn left unused by the end of November I will be lugging through all the airports on my way home but it is definately getting out of hand. 

My yarn has escaped its designated drawer and begun to take over!  It has spilled out all over the floor of my bf's room (where the tv is), it is on the shelves, in bags, in boxes...

But you all have inspired me!  I will not be dragging all that fleece home with me after all!  Thanks for the great group, I'm looking forward to stash busting with all of you!

Inventory coming soon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

metamurph
Lifeguarding the gene pool!

Blinkie worm!

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2005 08:09:44 AM »

I'm a Yarnoholic and I've become obsessed even though I'm still learning to knit.

My favorite yarn in the whole world is Lion Homespun. A while ago I found that A.C. Moore had mill ends of some of the Lion yarns (3 skeins for $5, essentially), and my storage areas and bins are overflowing - and this was BEFORE I started knitting. But that's not the bulk of my collection - oh definitely not. I have TONS of chenille and acrylic. Also, I did NOT resist the target yarn.

I think the problem really began when I started scouring thrift stores for awesome sweaters to frog. Yesterday I frogged a thick, hand-knit sweater of handspun wool and gained about 600 yards of bulky, white wool PERFECT for dyeing (trust me - it was so thick that it made a nearly unwearable sweater). I also frogged a 50/50 wool and cotton blend sweater jacket in a variety of blues and got me some pretty variegated yarn - about 400 yards of it so far, and I haven't finished the sleeves yet. Items waiting to be frogged: a dark purple silk sweater, three angora and silk blend sweaters (SOOOO SOFT) and more wool. It's hard to resist the temptation at $1.99 a sweater.

I keep yarn and needles everywhere - on top of the television, on my nightstand, in my purse, and I'm pretty sure there's even some in the back seat of my car.

Do I need help? You betcha. Do I want help? That's open to discussion. But eventually the stuff will creep in and take over, so better to start curbing my impulses now. Maybe I'll frog everything, wind it into skeins and trade it on the classifieds board.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need a sewing pattern? Check out my Etsy:

http://singlebutcrafty.etsy.com
princessblueberry
« Reply #222 on: September 26, 2005 10:24:14 AM »

In my hometown in Alaska we only very recently got a lys, in fact it was only a month or two before I left that we had anywhere to buy yarn except for Joanne's!  Shipping to Alaska can be an adventure, and I only learned to knit last year so my stash had remained under control...

Ooh, yarn is not hard to find any more here in Anchorage.  Just last year it was hard to find the really good yarns but  Michales and Joanne's just doubled the size of their stores so their yarn isles just ripled in size Shocked  and there is a new small store near Costco.

Second that shipping to AK. . .I've taken to calling it geographical descrimination, LOL, a big problem for Hawaii too. . .I hate it when shipping costs more than what your buying.

Looking forward to Friday. . .the knitting/crochet gals are getting togeather at Church. . .going to be a blast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strangers are just family you have not met yet. . .
~Mitch Albom

wist...http://www.wists.com/princessblueberry
Maryam Ovaci

I love you, Interlibrary Loan.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 26, 2005 11:30:48 AM »

I, Maryam Ovaci, am a yarnaholic. I have 30 skeins of project-related yarn, and over twice that in non-project-related yarn, in a large-ish cabinet devoted completely to that purpose. Documentation will happen tonight. It ain't gonna be pretty XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

My own tiny knitblog, soon to include spinning!
http://pandabonzai.blogspot.com/
Maryam Ovaci

I love you, Interlibrary Loan.

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 26, 2005 08:25:11 PM »

Ok, I didn't have a camera...   but I did catalouge my stash tonight.

22 Skeins Elann's Baby Silk, "DK" (actually fingering) weight, oxblood
10 Skeins Lion Brand Wool-Ease, worsted weight, ivory
8 Skeins Elann's Baby Silk, fingering weight, mocha
8 Skeins Southwest Trading Company Beyond Bold, green (not mine, holding for charity craft night)
7 Skeins Target $1 Fun Fur, grey
7 Skeins Target $1 Fun Fur, purple
7 Skeins Target $1 Fun Fur, var. (pidgeon colors)
5 Skeins Target $1 Boucle, oatmeal
5 Skeins Target $1 Boucle, earthtones
4 SkeinsCaron Bliss, plum, lot# 16018
3 Skeins Target $1 Novelty, purple (that kind with the squares on it?)
2 Skeins Elann's Baby Silk, fingering weight, peridot
2 Skeins Elann's Baby Silk, fingering weight, moroccan olive
2 Skeins Elann's Baby Silk, fingering weight, salmon
2 Skeins Elann's Baby Silk, fingering weight, seashell pink
2 Skeins Recycled Cashmere, laceweight, fucia (to be overdyed)
2 Skeis Kitchen Cotton, var. green
2 Skein Southwest Trading Company Beyond Bold, knobbly brown
1 Skein Peace Fleece, Lavender
1 Skein Peace Fleece, Russet
1 Skein Kitchen Cotton, var. blue
1 Skein Knitpicks' Merino Shadow, Vinyard
1 Skein Knitpicks' Merino Style, Nutmeg
1 Skein Knitpicks' Merino Style, Cinnamon
1 Skein Knitpicks' Merino Style, Butternut
1 Skein Knitpicks' Wool of the Andes, Worsted, Natural
1 Skein Knitpicks' Alpaca Cloud, Autumn
1 Skein Knitpicks' Paint Your Own, Laceweight, Natural (hanks cut and dyed assorted colors)
1 Skein Random Blue Acrylic Yarn?
1 Skein Random Lt. Blue Acrylic Yarn (that kind with the aloe in it)
1 Skein Randon Med. Blue Acrylic Yarn (also with aloe)
1 Skein Lion Brand Wool-Ease, worsted, white
1 Skein Paton's Upcountry, tan
1 Skein Opal, Fingering weight, var. blue (half-made sock attatched)
1 Skein Silky Wool, Indigo
1 SkeinSilky Wool, muted brown-taupe?
1 Skein Bernat Sock Yarn, grey
1 Skein Wool of the Andes, natural, dyed with natural indigo
1 Skein Southwest Trading Company Beyond Bold, knobbly green
1 Skein Bernat Denim Style, green and white
1 Skein Some Kinda red, flat yarn, with colorful bits in it.

Total Skeins: 123, plus assorted recycled cashmere and wool yarns (mostly laceweight) that I haven't gotten around to skeining, but it's got to be a couple pounds because those sweaters were freaking heavy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

My own tiny knitblog, soon to include spinning!
http://pandabonzai.blogspot.com/
thehappiesthooker

Check out my site http://www.kristinawong.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2006 02:11:34 AM »

Here are all the pictures from my stash...  Mostly ebay mixed lot wins.  There's more....

http://kristinawong.com/4706.html

I think I have close to 300-400 skeins.  mostly cheap acrylic and novelty yarn.  I had no idea that it was so bad to get these kinds of yarns.  I am so new to knit and crochet and this was big time to me.  Now I realize how bad they are for true craftsters.  And now I feel compelled to double my yarn collection to include wools and cotton yarns which are so misrepresented in this collection.  I can only crochet at the speed of one skein per week, average, so really, this collection will last only 15 years.  How will I increase my stash so that it lasts 30 years?  HOW?!

i am planning to rapidly decrease my stash by making double crochet stitched blankets.  I am taking a P hook and crocheting 3 skeins of acrylic yarn at a time.  I figure this will make the execution of said blanket very quick.  And I will be tearing through this stuff in no time flat.  Therefore it is ok for me to get more yarn...  In fact, I am allowed to go now....

Here's a blog entry I made yesterday after I found myself at Michaels trying to buy something I did not yet own in my massive yarn collection--

"So my swollen arm from crocheting so much did not stop me from picking up a knitting project earlier this week. Even though, what was I doing knitting, when I was already two days behind on a very important deadline? And this morning, I won over 40 knitting needles from ebay. I don't need the needles really, because I already won a lot of the same size last week. It's just that these were bamboo, and I have to have bamboo.

And yesterday the library called to tell the books I requested on knitting and crochet were in and so in the rain I rushed over, even though I hate driving in the rain, and even was reading the books on the car ride home. Cars were honking, because I didn't move at the green light, because my head was down at the passenger seat where I was studying knitting patterns and diagrams.

And today I ran to Michael's with my 30% off coupon convinced I needed to buy something, there had to be some yarn, some needle, something that I don't own yet. But as it turns out, I own almost every kind of yarn there is at Michaels. But there had to be something I didn't own yet. There had to be. I went up and down the aisles trying to figure out what to buy and settled on a stitch counter. The one thing at Michaels that I don't yet seem to own.

And last week I picked up a lot of yarn I won on ebay from a seller in Burbank and didn't bring it into the house because my boyfriend was home and I was afraid he would get mad at me for bringing more yarn in the house, so I kept it in the car and have been bringing it up slowly, one skein at a time, under my jacket, so he doesn't notice that our entire home is being eclipsed by the shadow of merino wool.

And yesterday another huge lot of yarn I won came in the mail and as I opened it my fingers trembled in excitement. My blood moved so fast through my body, as those skeins of chenille yarn looked back at me I thought I was walking on air. I was flying.

And I count down the days til Sunday when Michael's puts a 40% off coupon in the Sunday paper. Two weeks ago they didn't put an ad in and I shook every section of the paper loose screaming, "Goddammit! I know you are in here" the way a coke addict will just suck every piece of dust off the table when he's out, then start licking the table. I went to Leilani's and shooke her paper loose, after all it had to be a mistake. Someone had the coupon. And it was mine.

And I find myself applying for grants, for my performance art, but really I want the grants so I can buy more yarn. And buy the entire second floor of Michaels.

And please god, if you are reading this, please buy me the crafty books off my wishlist. I'll do anything. I'll even... I'll even....

Please baby I need it. Please baby, be good to me. I can quit anytime I want, I need it, I need it. Just one more, please baby.... just one more...."

I saw this documentary called "Devil's Playground" about Amish kids today.  Quite a few of the kids are doing Crystal Meth.  I decided/rationalized that my yarn habit is not as bad as crystal meth, therefore I am allowed to buy more yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessblueberry
« Reply #226 on: April 17, 2006 10:30:22 AM »

I had no idea that it was so bad to get these kinds of yarns.  I am so new to knit and crochet and this was big time to me.  Now I realize how bad they are for true craftsters. 

Sadly most of what I get is the acrylic, it is just about all I can afford unless I find a wool sweater in the 50cent rack or at 99cent tag day.  Am so happy when I find the good stuff at yardsales and 2nd hand though.  I have a box of the good stuff that I got for $18 and would have normaly cost a couple hundred dollars  Cheesy  Ooh, and one day I found a skien of aurora colored mohair for a buck, yum! 

Us crafters may know the difference but most of recipents of my crochet goodies could care less. . .so I try and not let it bug me and continue crocheting my cheep thrills  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strangers are just family you have not met yet. . .
~Mitch Albom

wist...http://www.wists.com/princessblueberry
funkyhooker
« Reply #227 on: April 17, 2006 12:50:47 PM »

Holy snot bubbles!  How have I been frequenting Craftster for so long and not seen this thread?!   I've been laughing so hard I could die!  I'm totally in btw.  And hey.. Thehappiesthooker.. . Your blog is friggin' hilarious!
"I (state your name) vow to NOT purchase or accept any new yarns/fibers until it is a matter of absolute need.  I will decimate the pile of yarn that is blocking my view of the sun in my bedroom (really).  I will knit with what I have.  I vow it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
thehappiesthooker

Check out my site http://www.kristinawong.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: April 17, 2006 02:47:46 PM »

thanks for the compliment funky hooker.

I've rationalized/decided that yarn is not as bad as crystal meth.  after all, yarn can't make my teeth fall out. I won't accidentally catch on fire from bidding on yarn lots on ebay.  i won't prostitute myself for yarn... yet.

so that's why in one hour, i may be the lucky winner of a 25 skein auction on ebay! 

yes!! yes!  more more more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyhooker
« Reply #229 on: April 17, 2006 03:19:30 PM »

ahh, your very welcome.
How does one do the "dirty wetback chink stitch" anyway? ha ha ha ha Shocked Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Diagram Explanation of Never Ending Square Crochet
Crocheting Christmas Wreath Tips
Crocheted Couch Cover Idea
Crocheted Baby Stilettos Idea
Crocheted Christmas Tree Design Tip
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...