A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarnholic Seeking to Start a Support Group  (Read 27239 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 05, 2005 05:38:07 PM »

I've been watching and listening, and supporting y'all in thoughts.  I've always had a stash, a habit developed through many generations in my family.  In fact, some of my current stash is fairly recent inheritance yarn.  I do work from the stash, but I still buy the occassional new thing to complete projects or to make a specifically requested object (most of my stash consists of partial balls).  Since the pledge is not to buy any new until the stash is reduced 50%, I'd always be in trouble if I joined.   Any comments?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
Annkari
« Reply #201 on: August 06, 2005 01:38:02 AM »

I think it's perfectly ok to buy new yarn to finish a project, especially if that project uses up more yarn from your stash! And to quote from yarnaholics.blogspot.com:

Members need not necessarily subscribe to every single one of Y.U.'s marxist-hippie beliefs, but must pledge to sustain the spirit of Y.U., which is simply not to hoard yarn.

As far as I understand it, this webring is about having fun while reducing your yarn stash, and about motivating each other not to buy and hoard unreasonable amounts of yarn. I don't think you'd be in trouble if you joined.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yahaira
« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2005 07:09:37 AM »

annalou, you are totally welcomed to join!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
Nicole Randome
« Reply #203 on: August 06, 2005 09:22:55 AM »

It is time for me to join. I got a box of yarn from friends, ordering, or swaps every single day this week.  Shocked Enough!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keridiana
« Reply #204 on: August 06, 2005 10:47:17 AM »

annalou,

totally acceptable to buy yarn for a specific project.  the idea is just not to buy yarn that you aren't using right now, really, especially knowing that you have a huge stash of perfectly wonderful yarn. (it's also about rediscovering the beautiful yarn you may already have, which you buried under your bed.) but if you've taken inventory and you can't do anything with your single balls, of course, you should not feel guilty about buying a little more to match it up for a specific project.

box of rain,

that sounds like a lot of yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: August 06, 2005 05:05:59 PM »

I am in, but not why you may think.

In 1999, I learned to knit and the LYS went out of business at the same time. So, I made a mad dash to buy GOOD yarns at a deal. The following two years, I realized I did not like to knit as much as crochet; until I found circular needles. But I am still a slow knitter.

We moved in 2002 and I packed all of my yarns away, placing them in a building in the back yard, far from the house. The building roof leaked (we did not know it had) and all of my yarn was ruined. Or so I thought.

Apparently buried deep under many moving boxes, I still had quite a bit of usuable yarn. Enough sock yarn to make 24 pair of socks, 8 skeins of a cotton-wool I had bought and used to make Dh work socks, *mohair, wool and chenille* for gloves, Homespun to make hats and gloves, and some beautiful, variegated acrylic to make one particular blanket and a few partial skeins of dishcloth yarn. Imagine my suprise and delight!

I have used most all of what I have, leaving a lot of left over balls. But even with the left over balls, I still have projects for each of those.   But this was all after I found out how to recycle good sweaters. So I have to add enough wool to make 4 sweaters, cashmere and one shiny, sparkly acrylic. Not to mention the 30 gallon bag of good acrylics my mom got for me.

So, I have only added maybe 10 skeins of yarn over the last 3 years. Not bad, but I really need to get rid of this stuff. It is just sitting out in the building because we live in a tiny house with nowhere to place it if I did bring it inside.

If anyone is interested in trading some slightly musty (barely noticeable) for all of the Homespun so I can get that project done, pm me.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yahaira
« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2005 03:12:05 PM »

ok call me insane or overly organized but I started a blog just for my stash!  Ive been taking pics of everything and uploading each kind of yarn as a post. if you want to see the madness (im still not done uploading) you can go to kfstash.blogspot.com

I also started a stash ring (I told you Im insane) at stashorama.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
lasandri
originator of the term "crackster", as in craftster is like crack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2005 06:24:11 PM »

yahaira your stash is NIIIIIICCCEEE

i'm ashamed of all my acrylic! but maybe i'll make a stash blog too... good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yahaira
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2005 08:59:07 PM »

aww thanks, but I didnt want to shame anyone!  I cant wait to see other stashes (Im a nosey)

if anything it shames me, because of all the yarn I have...and I still havent finished posting! Though I should be done soon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
amey
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2005 10:06:04 PM »

ok call me insane or overly organized but I started a blog just for my stash!  Ive been taking pics of everything and uploading each kind of yarn as a post. if you want to see the madness (im still not done uploading) you can go to kfstash.blogspot.com

I also started a stash ring (I told you Im insane) at stashorama.blogspot.com

Well now.  That's some mighty nice yarn, ma'am. 

I took pics of my in 3 major categories:

sock yarn: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/amey311/knitting/100_1410.jpg

wool: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/amey311/knitting/100_1411.jpg (probably a better title is "all animal" since some is a wool/mohair blend)

blends (cotton/acrylic, wool/acrylic, etc) plus the all cotton stuff: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/amey311/knitting/100_1412.jpg

THe stuff in the "wool" category is there as yarn that could be used as woolen diaper covers/soakers (and that's the plan for most of it) - that's why the wool/acrylic is a separate bin).

I'm tempted now to take even more pictures.  But I won't, because that time should be spent using up the stash, not categorizing it anymore.

I did do the dutiful excel chart inventorying it.  I wonder if I can link that up somehow?

I'm supposed to be knitting multiple soakers while I"m on vacation.  I've gotten one done.  This is nearly shameful. 

I have managed to knit 14.5 (out of 20) inches on the back of my Peace Fleece everyday cardigan.  This is the biggest piece.  I should think the other pieces will go together faster.

I've just realized most of this is blather better saved for my blog.

~amey

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Snookie Opens Up Her Beauty Bag!
Seventeen Readers Test Beauty Products
Seventeen Reader Ashley Gets a Glam Makeover For Prom!
Seventeen Reader Rohania Gets a Makeover For Prom
How to Get a Glam, Bronzed Makeup Look For Prom
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...