A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarnholic Seeking to Start a Support Group  (Read 27010 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Keridiana
« Reply #180 on: July 17, 2005 10:34:52 AM »

Amazing, Annkari! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

Save your forks, there's pie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: July 17, 2005 11:12:59 AM »

I've gone from 17 pieces in my stash to 14.  So today I am awarding myself w/ a ball winder.  Because I needed an excuse to get one anyway really
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2005 07:50:53 PM »

Hi everybody. I've been following this thread since, oh... Page 11 or so. For about three weeks, I was doing really good not buying yarn and makeing little stashbusing projects. But then I found my weakness:
The yarn bucket at Goodwill. And its below bargain basement prices on slightly used yarn. I was resisting and resisting new, expensive yarn, but I couldn't say no to some gently loved mohair yarn at 25 cents a skein.
Here is my stash.

The balls with x's are no longer with us/currently being used.
But, after my Goodwill escapade, I now have this to add.

My name is Emily. And I have a yarn habit.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005 08:12:14 PM by GoldfishGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: July 17, 2005 10:21:11 PM »

Emily, you have some amazing yarn. I think that's my problem, I have all this CRAP yarn, cheap acrylic CRAP that no one would ever use, so it's hard for me to get creative with it, muche less want to make anything out of it. I'm too cheap to throw it away and..i dunno...GRRR!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
amey
« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2005 12:35:17 AM »

Emily, you have some amazing yarn. I think that's my problem, I have all this CRAP yarn, cheap acrylic CRAP that no one would ever use, so it's hard for me to get creative with it, muche less want to make anything out of it. I'm too cheap to throw it away and..i dunno...GRRR!

Ahhh - knit for charity.  Would that help you?  Warm up America wil take 7x9 rectangles in any stitch to make quilts (and they prefer acrylic!).  See if there is a group near you that does mitten trees or hats. 

Or, pull a FlyLady and give it away - let it bless someone else - Goodwill, a nursing home, something.  Then you could advance directly to cashmere and buy just the yarn you need for a project. 

~amey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2005 06:16:20 AM »

Most of my yarn is really cheap dead old lady yarn. By that I mean that it was inherited from all my grandma's friends when they died.
Since I started this habit early (like, 14) and my grandma is an enabler with all her elderly crafter friends, I think I started hating acrylic much earlier than most beginners.
Currenty, my acyrilic to non-acrylic ratio is down to around 3 to 1.
In ridding myself of it, I've found that stocking caps are always nice to give to people. I use a pattern from Hip To Knit, but do it in the round instead of flat. Most people don't even notice that the yarn is something undesirable. They're just happy that you knit them something.
My current stash busting projects are Very Tall Socks from Knitty and lots of dishcloths using the pattern from http://straw.com/cpy/patterns/cotton_chenille_wcloth.html.
I don't know if this idea has been presented yet, but DIY Learn to Knit kits are well accepted gift ideas. Make a pair of dowel knitting needles and put in a couple balls of acrylic, print out some stitch instructions and you're ready to go. I have given a few of these and the recipients seem to love the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
amey
« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2005 07:34:17 PM »

Just checking in.  How are the addicts doing?

Last week I received 13 skeins of handpainted yarn that I ordered before joining YA.  Embarrassed  I have plans for at least 1/2 of it - I just need to decide which skein to use first. 

I'm also working thru the PF Everyday Cardigan - I'm near the end of my first skein.  I was an idiot and chose sportweight yarn for my first sweater. 

~amey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keridiana
« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2005 07:45:11 PM »

I recently demoted myself because I ordered 2,000 yds of yarn on Ebay. But I'm going to make a size L man's vest as a xmas gift! So I had no idea how much I'd need!

(Excuses excuses)

Before that though, I had been purchase-free for 1 month and slowly whittling! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Horse Power
« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2005 05:12:42 AM »

Me, too. Ebay. Laceweight. For Creatures of the Reef shawl.

I did finally get around to making an inventory:
http://squirrelisknitting.blogspot.com/2005/07/yarn-inventory.html
(You can at least skip the part under it about the new order, they were out of what I wanted and never answered my second email.)

And guess what? My local Joanne's is moving their store and all the yarn is 30% off. I will NOT go nuts but I think this is an opportunity to get a few select basics.

I will just go change my button to acrylic right now. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keridiana
« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2005 08:09:09 AM »

Now now, Horse Power - just b/c you slipped down to Acrylic doesn't mean you can't go any lower!  It's funny but once we break once, we feel it's not any worse to continue breaking our diets. Seriously, 30% isn't even that cheap. You can get yarn up to 50% off online ANY TIME.   As Vy once pointed out, we must remember that Yarn Will Always Be On Sale. Somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Is Your Pillowcase Making You Breakout?
How Alcohol Sabotages Your Skin
An Impressive Cheek Stain You Can Make at Home
6 Ways to Fight the Winter Beauty Blues
Essential Winter Beauty Products
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...