A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
746 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Gifts -- Embroidered Handkerchiefs! (Pic heavy)  (Read 910 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darkmule
« on: January 10, 2010 08:48:33 PM »

Both my grandmothers love men's handkerchiefs.  I have a huge box FULL of embroidery floss that I got for free, so I made them each a set of 3 handkerchiefs.

For my maternal grandmother...she loves gardening and birds.  I made her 2 roses and a hummingbird.  She's no longer allowed to feed the birds at her townhouse, but she still does in secret.  She can't feed the hummingbirds as often as she'd like though since the feeders are so obvious.
The whole set:

The invidual handkerchiefs:
Ruby-throated hummingbird.  Probably her favorite, definitely mine from her set.  Satin stitch, french knots, horizontal blanket stitch (modified), disconnected stem stitch, and backstitch.

Blooming rose.  My least favorite, but she still liked it.  Backstitch and stem stitch.

Rose spray.  I absolutely love the colors in this one.  From an antique design from a flickr group.  Backstitch, stem stitch, fly stitch, disconnected stem stitch, and french knots.

For my paternal grandmother...who just adores butterflies.  A couple years ago she and my grandfather had to sell their house and move to Arizona as they could no longer handle the Iowa winters.  She was absolutely heartbroken...until she was adopted by a little ragdoll kitty.  I modified the kitty pattern to looks like hers (as best I could remember, anyway), it was also from the flickr group.
The whole set...I tried to carry colors through all the handkerchiefs.

Blue butterfly.  Backstitch and french knots.  Maybe some split stitch or stem stitch?  I can't remember, haha.

Melon butterfly.  The first one I did, obviously before I figured out the tension in the cloth.  Chain stitch to fill body, stem stitch, backstitch, split stitch, and french knots.

Kitty with butterfly.  My absolute favorite.  Again, I didn't want to part with this one, but I know she'll absolutely love it.  Running stitch, back stitch, stem stitch, disconnected stem stitch, chain stitch, french knots.

And a detail shot of the butterfly and his white running stitched trail...

I'm still working on a set for my mom and I forgot to photograph the two I made for my dad (Caps and Nats logos).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010 08:49:46 PM by darkmule » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do a lot of needlework but dabble in most everything else.
Lilibet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010 03:15:11 AM »

Wonderful work! It looks so delicate. I would love to give such embroidery a go one day...

Now, I do wonder... Why is your grandmother not allowed (I mean, wtf?) to feed the birds anymore?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010 09:54:30 AM »

I love handkerchiefs, too. Smiley  Someday I'll embroider some for myself.  These are very pretty.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010 11:06:56 AM »

Love the hummingbird! Wonderful stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
D.Bluemoon
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010 03:10:35 PM »

I love the rose even though it's your least favorite Smiley Were those hard to embroider on since they're so thin? I'll have to steal one from my boyfriend (he loves them too) and try it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darkmule
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010 06:07:10 PM »

Thanks all for the lovely comments Smiley

Lilibet: Everyone in her neighborhood isn't allowed to feed birds anymore due to the way it attracted squirrels onto peoples' decks and from there into eaves, attics, chimneys, and in-between-floors-spaces.  She was really peeved about it and is still lobbying to get the ban lifted...meanwhile still secretly feeding her birds, haha.

D.Bluemoon: I've only embroidered on thin fabrics, so I'm pretty used to it.  The hardest thing is to make sure the tension is right...I used a square PVC holder instead of a traditional hoop.  The secret I found is to make sure there's a good amount of space between the design and the edge.  Also, finish off the threads as you go, not all at the end!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do a lot of needlework but dabble in most everything else.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Speed Quarters
How to Play Quarters
How to Play Thumper
How to Move Original Music to MySpace
How to Play Paintball Like Rambo
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...