A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bipolar Women Crafting to Heal  (Read 828 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChewThruRestraints
« on: January 10, 2010 02:42:56 PM »

I was diagnosed as having bipolar disorder a few years ago and since I have been lost.  I had owned an art gallery and custom frame shop for 15 years, but could not emotionally or physically be self-employed any longer.

I have been knitting since I was 13. When I started knitting, the patterns I found were mostly pure cheese, bad 80's sweaters, tacky but not in a good way. So I stopped knitting for a long time. Now, finally a younger generation has begun to use knitting as an art form and I was inspired by the books “DomiKNITrix” and “AntiCraft” to start knitting again, but recently I found “Stupid Sock Creatures” by John Murphy and I fell in love!  I was so inspired by the book that now I am teaching myself how to sew, by hand and with a sewing machine, so could start making my sock monsters!

So now, I make stuff. Handmade little oddities.  I think of myself as being good with my hands.  I'm crafty.  I found that creating has really helped with my depression and have been trying to figure out a way to share that with other women who are suffering with depression.  I guess I am asking for ideas for recruiting other artists, actually for any ideas that might help.

I started a website at crazygirljournals.c om, for Bipolar Disorder support and a place to show my monsters - http://www.crazygirljournals.com/Therapy/Sock_Monsters_files/TriggerMuliganyviews.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010 08:29:23 AM »

Have you thought about maybe doing some work with support groups? Maybe even having an virtual art show? Seeing if you can do some art therapy with people and then display their work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChewThruRestraints
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010 11:10:44 AM »

I am actually working on getting a group of women together for a local support group.  I live in a pretty rural area, and the support groups here are all 12 step programs and extremely religious based(not that there's anything wrong with that!), but I am an atheist, soooo, that doesn't really work for me.  I spoke to a few other women I have met that feel the same way, but it can be difficult getting a bunched of depressed people to actually leave their homes!  There is a local co-operative gallery that I am sure would be interested in collaborating once our group actually gets up and running.  They recently did a show of survivors of child abuse and child molestation, heavy show.  Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Supermodel Trends: Then and Now
Celebrity Sneaker Style
Punk Style Celebrities
Coachella: Style Spots
Carey Mulligan: Steal Her Style
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...