A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cold Porcelain Clay  (Read 12401 times)
Tags for this thread: clay , cold_porcelain , charm  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

asmakr
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010 06:05:01 AM »

I think in this particular case, the problem might have been the hole(s) rather than the finish/glaze.  

Notice that the chipping away of the paint and sealer on these pieces is right next to the hole you made for the eye pin rather than anywhere else.  I'm assuming that the water got into the clay from around the pin (or U-shaped wire), and even just a little water will undermine air-dry clays.  
If you hadn't been taking showers, it might not have happened though since the amount of humidity (vs. shower water) getting into the hole would have been a lot less.  

It actually makes a lot of sense. I think you're right about glazing it better near the pin. I'll be doing that for the rest. If clear nail polish acts a good glaze, that'd be great. It'll still be looking into polyurethane, too. Air dry clay can be so tricky, especially where water is concerned. Now, I'm glad I didn't go ahead and glaze the other ones, I can rest assured that they're fully dried now and glaze them better.

As for sealing the hole, I'll try it with glue. I wonder though, since air dry clay shrinks, shouldn't the pins be secured anyway? It's better to be on the safe side though. Also, I wonder if covering the holes with a layer of the clay merged with the rest of the charm would work...

Thank you so much for your insight, you've been loads of help Smiley
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010 06:08:31 AM by asmakr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art washes away the dust from everyday life" - Picasso
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010 08:01:38 AM »

As for sealing the hole, I'll try it with glue. I wonder though, since air dry clay shrinks, shouldn't the pins be secured anyway? It's better to be on the safe side though.

I assume that air-dry clay will shrink around the shank a bit more, but it may also shrink away from the shank at the very entrance because the whole bulk of the clay will shrink?
It would still be great to do what many polymer clayers do and bend the shank at least a bit before inserting it and snugging the clay back around, so there will be a mechanical hold of the clay on the shank as well as any adhesive hold you might want to use. Just roughing up the shank could work a bit too to create a little mechanical hold. (Be sure and let any glue dry or cure too before covering with anything else.)

Also, I wonder if covering the holes with a layer of the clay merged with the rest of the charm would work...

I thought about that but if I'm understanding you right, you'd simply have the entry hole in a different place because you'd be using an eye pin or U-shape somewhere?  I did think that adding more clay around the entrance in a sloping fashion (with the narrowest part upward so any water would be more likely to slide down it and onto the well-sealed areas than to collect in the lower crevice area around the entrance), but would still be better to "fill in" that crevice as much as possible I'd think.  

You could though use a wide clay "loop" (like a bail) or a hole to put your jump ring or cording through though and not make any holes in the clay; that should work if air-dry clay is strong enough (...actually you could cover" a piece of wire or something strong with the air-dry clay then use that as your "loop"/etc and avoid that problem, or you could glue a metal eyelet/etc into/over the hole to strengthen it--but seal the clay under the eyelet well).  
Those kinds of "other ways" to add connectors are described on that Pendants page I linked to before (under the categories Tubes or clay Bails) and include things like gluing small tubes/etc onto the top or sides of a dangle to act as connectors, etc.

Air dry clay can be so tricky, especially where water is concerned.

Yep, just another reason to love polymer clay  Wink Cheesy Grin

Diane B.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010 08:15:13 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
asmakr
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010 07:18:14 PM »

Bending the shank sounds more secure too actually. I'll be trying that next time as well.

Yep, just another reason to love polymer clay  Wink Cheesy Grin

Well said Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

febe
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010 12:09:14 PM »

these are awesome!i'm going to try this! btw, did you paint them before it hardens?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010 12:22:22 PM by febe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
asmakr
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010 07:28:52 PM »

these are awesome!i'm going to try this! btw, did you paint them before it hardens?

Painted them after they had hardened. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nougatgee
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010 08:53:28 PM »

these are soooo pretty!!  well done - and bravo for trying the 'alternative' ingredients!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Assembling Supplies for Plein Air Painting
How to Draw Bamboo with Watercolor
How to Create Snow with Watercolor
How to Create Realistic Tree Trunks in Watercolor Painting
How to Create Bricks with Watercolor
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...