A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 301,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Good crocheting books for beginners? (and lefties!)  (Read 2250 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MarisaYogi
« on: December 17, 2009 06:51:11 PM »

Hey guys I'm looking for a good how to crochet book that is very good for beginners and lefties! (because I am one haha) I am going on a huge road trip tomorrow and am stopping at Borders/Barnes and Noble beforehand, i've got my yarn and my hook now I just need to learn!
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Give peas a chance!"
PooseDeCat
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009 07:04:05 AM »

coming from someone who just taught themselves, my fav. by far is The Happy Hooker...sorry can't remember the author (my bad I know) but you can google her.  It's from the Stitch N'Bitch series.

Good luck and have fun on your road trip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009 08:48:57 AM »

200 crochet motifs, I think that's what it's called, ugh brain fail, has in the rounds or line by line motifs, good practice with different stitches and reading patterns, yet most motifs aren't more than a few rows.  I checked the book out of the library when I was first learning, along with The Happy Hooker and got a pretty nice overlook of the craft.

Of course my third best resource is youtube!  As you can actually see how a stitch is executed if you cann't decifer the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PooseDeCat
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009 08:58:54 AM »

I only found one lady who did an AWESOME tutorial on Youtube...but sorry, I can't recall the link.  Undecided  But yes, it is awesome if you just can't quite figure out that confusing part! It sure helps to see someone do it..might not help you on a bus tho!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009 10:41:06 AM »

I ment for specific stitches....sometimes it helps to see how it's executed, for example, the first time I read how to do a bobble stitch, I about died, it seemed so complicated, so I youtubed it  and there it was and it wasn't as hard as it seemed looking at the written instructions. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lunamadre
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010 06:42:49 AM »

I taught myself knitting from Debbie Stoller's Stitch n' Bitch book, in combination with Teach Yourself Visually Knitting.  It was a fabulous combination for me, where one book left me slightly unsure, the other cleared up immediately. 
Since I liked the author, I asked for Happy Hooker for xmas, I didn't get it and got a different book I am not too wild about.  I am definitely buying it now.  I am also thinking of getting the Teach Yourself Visually Crochet since it worked so well for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Stitch-Bitch-Crochet-Happy-Hooker/dp/0761139850
http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Visually-Crocheting/dp/0764596411/ref=sip_rech_dp_7

My mom was a big knitter/crocheter, and she got me a different book for xmas, and I think I might eventually like the book, but I'm really bummed because the directions for a complete beginner just overwhelmed me.  She doesn't even get you started on a test project, and there are only like two or three beginner projects.
I really want to return it, but crocheters rave about it on amazon so I figure eventually I might kick myself for getting rid of it, Donna Koolers Encyclopedia of Crochet:
http://www.amazon.com/Donna-Koolers-Encyclopedia-Crochet-Leisure/dp/1574862820/ref=pd_sim_b_60

Does anyone here like that book?
I am only thinking of keeping it because of the stitch dictionary in the back.  I don't really like any of the patterns, and I find her style of writing very BOOORING and dry.  Reviews complain that her patterns are full of errors, but since I don't like them I probably won't make them anyway.

I really want to learn crochet to make amigurumi anyway, not hot pads or the ridiculous ugly philosopher's coat that is in there.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Glitter Pinecone Hanging Ornaments
How to Make Faux Bois Giftwrap
How to Make Custom Gift Bows
Homemade Christmas Tree Decorations
How to Make Candy Cane Mice
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...