A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: aardvarks?  (Read 917 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imnotemily
« on: April 26, 2005 07:48:24 PM »

alright guys, i have a ridiculous request for you....

the other night i was watching animal planet w/ my sister (the show Thats My Baby, where you get to watch different pregnant animals give birth.  gross but sorta charming.), and all was going well.  that is, until the show moved on to a pregnant aardvark.  MY SISTER FREAKED OUT.  like she suddenly discovered, at age 23, that she's morbidly terrified of aardvarks.  She was screaming when they came on, and covering her eyes and i'm still not sure if she was laughing or crying.   i think both.

aaaanyways, her graduation is coming up soon, and being the sadistic bratty younger sister that i am, i'd like to crochet her an aardvark doll.  like http://www.aardvarktozebra.com/aardvark.html, but crochet. 

so the question is- does anyone have any suggestions (or better yet, patterns) for how to crochet an aardvark?  or atleast general ideas on shaping the body, etc?  anything you could offer would be awesome.  thanks guys!

-emily the sadistic little sister.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennye

Knowledge is good.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005 08:12:17 PM »

http://members.optusnet.com.au/we2/tric.html - this might work, it's kind of the same shape, just eliminate the fan and make 2 tails for ears.  Hope this helps, and good luck freaking out your sister Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
undecimindy
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005 08:16:12 PM »

hmm i posted an elephant pattern...but i wrote it in a way that encourages freeforming. AND i've been told that my elephants kind of look like aardvarks anyways, i think if you made the ears smaller, and added a toungue to the end of the nose you'll have an aardvark.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
undecimindy
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005 08:19:57 PM »

here you go! i thought i had posted it in this forum but it was in the crochet a long, like i said, make the ears smaller and i think you will pretty much have something that resembles an aardvark.

Ok here is my very first every written down pattern. I always work freeform so what I tried to do with this pattern is to let people know how they can go off and do their own thing to make something original...so I encourage any of you who attempt this to do a little free form, but if you want to follow it all they way that's fine too.

And please, let me know if there is anything strange with the way it is written. Thanks.

Mindy

Elephant Pattern

I used Bernat Boucle doubled up with Bernat Softee Baby with a K hook. You can really use anything, but for the best results a thicker yarn or yarn doubled is nice so you don’t see the stuffing through, not to mention the work goes by faster.  And anytime I write something using this kind of formula: 5(sc in nxt ch, 2 sc in nxt ch), that is my way of saying that you sc in nxt ch, 2 sc in nxt ch five times. I’m not sure if this is the right way to write it but it makes the most sense to me….however if there is a better way to write this up I am definitely all ears….

Head

1. Ch 2, sc 6 times into the 2nd chain from the hook. This is the start of the head. I generally work the heads in the round much like how you would start a hat.
2. 2 sc into each st around (you will end up with having 12 stitches total at this point).
3. 6(sc in next st, 2sc in next st).
4. 6(sc in next 2 st, 2 sc in next st). What we are doing is here is gradually increasing the size of the head. Because we are increasing by 6 stitches with each row we are coming up with a flat circle. If you wanted the back of the head to be pointer then feel free to increase less frequently. If you want the back of the head to be a little more unpredictable the increase more and see what happens! With step 5 I am going to start shaping the trunk.
5. Sc in next 5 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in nxt 4 st, 2 sc in nxt st, sc in next 11st. On the opposite side of the beginning of the round I will be gradually increasing to make the trunk stick out more. On the side where the round begins I am not increasing at all.
6. Sc in next 8 st, 2 sc in nxt st, sc in nxt 2 st, 2 sc in nxt st, sc in next 2 st, 2 sc in nxt st, sc in nxt 11 st.
7. Sc in nxt 10 st, 2 sc in nxt st, sc in nxt 3 st, 2 sc in nxt st, sc in nxt 14 st. If you are doing this exactly the way I have written here then you will probably have a shape that somewhat resembles an oyster shell.
8. Sc in nxt 31 st. For the next round we will start decreasing on the side that the trunk is not being formed on.
9. Sk, sc in nxt 2 st, sk, sc nxt 22 st, sk, sc nxt 2 st, sk, sc nxt st.
10. 2(Sk, sc nxt st), sc in nxt 19 st, 2 (sk, sc nxt st). You continue to gradually decrease until the opening is how wide you want the trunk to be. I am going to go one more round of decreasing.
11. 3(sk, sc nxt st), sc in nxt 11 st, 3(sk, sc nxt st). After this step it isn’t such a bad idea to sew, or embroider on anything that you want to go on the head, ears, eyes, etc. Doing this isn’t necessary but it does make it easier and leave the finished product looking cleaner.
12. Sc in nxt 17 st. Now the trunk is being lengthened, just keep sc around and around until the trunk is as long as you want it to be!
13. Add stuffing as you go because once you start decreasing to close off the trunk it will be harder to fit it in. Also take note of the shape that you have created so far, you will notice that it can be a shape that can be used in many different ways other than an elephant head. You could flip it upside down to make a rhino head and it also could be used as a body maybe of a giraffe. Or it could be the foot of a larger doll…
14. Sk, sc in next 4 st, sk, sc in next 5 st, sk, sc in nxt 6 st.
15. Sc in nxt 14 st.
16. Repeat
17. Sk, sc nxt 4 st, sk, sc nxt 4 st, sk, sc nxt 3 st.
18. Sk, sc nxt 3 st, sk, sc nxt 3 st, sk, sc nxt 2 st.
19. 4(sk, sc nxt st), finish off and weave in the loose ends!

Ears (Make 2)

1. Ch 2, 2 sc into 2nd chain from hook, ch 1 turn
2. Sc in 2nd st from hook, 2 sc in nxt st, ch 1 turn.
3. Sc in 2nd st from hook, sc in nxt st, 2 sc in nxt st, ch 1 turn. You are making a triangle shape, once it gets to the width you want you can stop increasing, otherwise continue this pattern of increasing on the end of each row until the ear is as big as you would like it.
4. Sc around the perimeter of the triangle. If you want the ear to be cupped do not increase on the corners of the triangle. If you want a flatter triangle shape then on each point of the triangle throw in 3 or 4 sc’s so that the ends don’t cup in (personally I like a semi-cupped look and usually increase a little on the points).

Body

1. Ch 24, sc into 24th ch from hook.
2. Sc in nxt 24 st, repeat this for several rows. (I repeated this step 4 times).
3. Sc in nxt 6 st, sk, sc nxt 10 st, sk, sc nxt 6 st. Now I am decreasing to make the body get thinner as I go closer to the neck. I decrease just on the sides so that the shape stays flatter. If I were to decrease evenly around, say skip a stitch after every 4 sc’s the body would end up being rounder, it would have more of a cone shape rather than a flat triangle shape.
4. Sc nxt 5 st, sk, sc nxt 10 st, sk, sc nxt 5 st.
5. Sc nxt 4 st, sk, sc nxt 10 st, sk, sc nxt 4 st.
6. Sc nxt 3 st, sk, sc nxt 9 st, sk, sc nxt 4 st.
7. Sc nxt 3 st, sk, sc nxt 7 st, sk, sc nxt 4 st. Finish off, weave in any loose ends.

Tail

For an elephant tail I just take three strands of yarn, cut the same length, and braid them with knots on either end. I pull one of the knots through the behind of the body and secure it by sewing it to the inside of the body. It is easier and looks better if you do this before you attatch and stuff and sew everything up!

Arms (Make two of these)

1. Ch 8, sc in 8th ch from hook.
2. Sc in nxt 8 st, repeat for 3 or 4 more rounds.
3. 2(2 sc in nxt st, sc in nxt 3 st).
4. 2(2 sc in nxt st, sc in nxt 4 st).
5. 2(2 sc in nxt st, sc in nxt 5 st).
6. sc in nxt 14 st.
7. sk, sc in nxt 3 st, sk, sc in nxt 2 st, sk, sc in nxt 2 st, sk, sc nxt 3 st.
8. 5(sk, sc in nxt st). keep decreasing until the hole is closed up. Finish off and weave in the ends.
Legs (make 2)

1. Ch 12, sc in 12th ch from hook.
2. Sc in nxt 12 st. repeat this step for the nxt 4 rnds unless you want longer legs, then keep going.
3. 8(sk, sc in nxt st), finish off, weave in any loose ends.

Now sew everything together, and add whatever kind of stuffing you are using, where you want it to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005 10:33:38 AM »

The ardvarks ears are like the sheep ears that I have from a Japanese website.  You pretty much make a round the size you need then fold it in half.

I didn't want to be rude and say tha the elephant reminded me of an ardvark but it did.  It reallly really did.  Make the legs a bit squattier and you have an ardvark.

Here is a link to go to the sheep in the japanese site... to see the ears.  You can also click on it to get the pattern charts if you wanted... but the ears are just a round...then kind of folded in half for placement and all.. just kind of reminded me of the ardvark as well.
Ardvark... part elephant, part sheep...add the tail and you are done.
Out of all the tons of patterns I have, no ardvark anywhere. sorry.

http://www.d1.dion.ne.jp/~k_fumico/challenge/challenge.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Elevated Waffle Taco With a Gourmet Twist
5 Ways To Put A Twist On a PB&J
How to Thaw a Frozen Turkey
How to Make Ham and Bananas Hollandaise
How to Make Honey Brisket Sloppy Joes with Herb Kentucky Lime Salad
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...