A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Earflap hats!  (Read 631 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krazygurlygirl
« on: January 09, 2010 07:14:31 AM »

I had a co-worker make a couple of requests from me.  All she said was use blue, purple, black...go!  She said the same thing for the rainbow hat...I like having room to do whatever I want.  So with the black, purple, and blue hat, I put popcorn stitches where the blue stripes were and made the pom poms all multi colored...then the rainbow hat...i just couldn't think of anything super fabulous...so I think it came out a little generic...but she still liked them, so the purpose was served...any comments welcome!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lucy_Stardust
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010 03:32:21 PM »

those are so cool!! what pattern did you use may i ask??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazygurlygirl
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010 08:21:29 AM »

I free handed them.  I've made so many hats, that I've learned to eye my work and adjust as I go along.  I've  had to start over a few times before, but it's a learning experience each time.  It's just a basic beanie with earflaps and poms added to it.  Very simple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazygurlygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010 09:24:26 AM »

Just to give more information on how these came out...with form fitting hats, I usually do 6-8 rows of increases depending on how big the head of person wearing it is.  Then I make it long enough to cover ears or wherever they want it to hit on thier head.  then the earflaps I crochet directly onto the hat after trying it on and making sure they'll hit the ears.  the earflaps are simply rectangles that decrease all the way down til they are pointed.  single crochet around the even the bottom of hat, and bam!

for the ties, just pull 3 strands of yarn through the single crochet at the bottom of earflaps, and braid till the bottom...or you can use 6 or 9 strands for bigger thicker braids....hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Ted Bell
Kristin Kimball Talks About The Dirty Life
Amy Sohn Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Meet Author Martin Cruz Smith
Pete Cerqua Offers 90-Second Fitness Solutions
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...